The Choice

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
In my experience a couple of minutes, really once the shine goes. It gets touch dry really quickly. Once primed I always leave overnight before painting though……

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
It was over a month ago now that I started struggling with the primer coats on these two figures. Since then I've stripped them back twice, and re-primed them three times!

Third time lucky, I guess. Thanks to great advice once again from @Tim Marlow - thats a smooth enough finish for me. I can see myself using lacquer primer more often...
20230123_213325.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Paul!!! She is too cool!!! Fantastic painting skills and I bet that cape took quite a long time to paint too. She must be small, or you have gigantic hands Sir...

Prost
Allen

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks everyone.
Wow Paul!!! She is too cool!!! Fantastic painting skills and I bet that cape took quite a long time to paint too. She must be small, or you have gigantic hands Sir...
Ha ha, no, normal sized hands here. She's nominally 75mm scale, but because she's an elf she's actually 50mm from the soles of her feet to her eyeballs.

The cape did take some time - I'm discovering that freehand is labour-intensive, with a great deal of continuous correcting. But I'm well-happy with the end result - looks believably like a soft woollen garment.

It's surprising how little touches can make a big difference. Despite highlighting the ridges and shading the deepest folds, the cape didn't look right until I placed a pale reflection right at the bottom of the deepest folds - that was transformational.
20230129_163257.jpg

Her jumpsuit is supposed to be yellow leather - while it looks good, I'm not sure I've completely sold the idea it's made of leather.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks everyone.

Ha ha, no, normal sized hands here. She's nominally 75mm scale, but because she an elf she's actually 50mm from the soles of her feet to her eyeballs.

The cape did take some time - I'm discovering that freehand is labour-intensive, with a great deal of continuous correcting. But I'm well-happy with the end result - looks belivably like a soft woollen garment.

It's surprising how little touches can make a big difference. Despite highlighting the ridges and shading the deepest folds, the cape didn't look right until I placed a pale reflection right at the bottom of the deepest folds - that was transformational.
View attachment 473017

Her jumpsuit is supposed to be yellow leather - while it looks good, I'm not sure I've completely sold the idea it's made of leather.
Edge highlights do really make the elements stand out. Must admit I thought the yellow was cloth, but I wouldn’t know how to make it look differently myself apart from a slight sheen….