The Happy Hunter

C

Caledonia

Looking forward to this one Andy, you certainly will have your hands full. Cheers Derk

S

Sky Raider

Thamks Derek. Hope it turns out as good as yours did.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Time has come to make a proper start on this thing, and the first order is to cut out the hull properly. The thing i hate about vaccume formed parts are the cutting out. The precision of the cut line is never precise and do you cut on the line or just to it. I have learnt that it is best to cut to the line, if you need to you can always sand down to the joints after. Better to take off than to try to fill in.

View attachment 53468View attachment 53469

When doing this its best not to get carried away with the Dremel Saw blade. I cut as close as i was comfetable and then sanded a little closer with the Dremel sand drum and then finished of with the old Permagrit tools.

View attachment 53470

Result before final finishing

View attachment 53471

Looks a bit rough i know but with a little work and slow progress the result is great

View attachment 53472View attachment 53473View attachment 53474View attachment 53475View attachment 53476

There are a couple of areas that are required to leave at least 1.5mm over for now. These are the 2 little nibs on the sides and the complete stearn rear wall. Always pays to read through the instructions twice before starting each section so that nothing is overlooked.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55801

View attachment 55802

View attachment 55803

View attachment 55804

View attachment 55805

View attachment 55806

View attachment 55807

View attachment 55808

View attachment 55809

Cut out (1).jpg

Cut out (2).jpg

The Tools.jpg

Rough Cut.jpg

The Result (1).jpg

The Result (2).jpg

The Result (3).jpg

The Result (4).jpg

The result.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Next part of the build is to shape and insert the rudder support that is glued into place using CA.

The Tools

View attachment 53509

View attachment 53510View attachment 53511View attachment 53512View attachment 53513View attachment 53514

This complete its time to do a little cutting and drilling, 3mm x 51mm slots are required to take the rudders and props assembley. 3mm isnt a lot of width and using a dremel is the only way but got to make sure that these are spot on and no marging for slips. As this is below the water line i need to make everything a tight fit.

View attachment 53516View attachment 53517

With these cut and drilled we need to cut out the bow thruster. For this i used the cone cutter to open up the hole as much as i dared and then sanded to the line using the dremel drum sander.

View attachment 53518View attachment 53519

With all of this cut out using extreme care no to make any errors i decided to call it a night and get back to my shakey self lol. Phew it was like performing open heart surgery.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55832

View attachment 55833

View attachment 55834

View attachment 55835

View attachment 55836

View attachment 55837

View attachment 55839

View attachment 55840

View attachment 55841

View attachment 55842

The Tools 2.jpg

Rudder Support 12.jpg

Rudder Support 14.jpg

Rudder Support 15.jpg

Rudder Support 16.JPG

Rudder Support 17.JPG

Cutting the slots and Holes 18.jpg

Cutting the slots and holes19.jpg

Cutting the Bow Thruster 20.jpg

Cutting the bow thruster 21.jpg

F

Fenlander

Scaring me and I am no where near it lol. Great start Andy, not the stage to go wrong is it!!!!!!!!

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Scaring me and I am no where near it lol. Great start Andy, not the stage to go wrong is it!!!!!!!!
Thanks Graham. It is a little nerve racking i must admit. Errors above the waterline can be made right but a load of slack here would be a nightmare. The thing that i feared most was the dremel running away and cutting along the hull and there was also the fear of hitting the hull with the dremel while your trying to juggle with it in one hand and a running dremel in the other. A few near misses i can tell you. :shoot:

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

Tonight session includes the dry fitting of the props etc. even though last nights precision work was spot on i still needed to do some sanding and trimming.

Here is the layout that includes the Brass Props as an optional extra. Thought this would give a better look to the model.

View attachment 53557View attachment 53558View attachment 53559

Next was to pop out the parts and glue together the Speed Controller tray.

View attachment 53556

While the CA is cureing i started the dry fit of the shafts and props. This was the fiddley bit trying to get the props to spin without binding so thats where the sanding and trimming came in to make sure everything lined up correctly. This took a little time to get right and needs to be perfect so as not to load the motors when running.

View attachment 53560View attachment 53561

As this was a slow process i didnt progress much and have a lot more to do on this section as yet. This will come tomorrow.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55868

View attachment 55869

View attachment 55870

View attachment 55871

View attachment 55872

View attachment 55873

Speed Controller tray 17.jpg

Prop assembley 18.jpg

Brass Props 19.jpg

Prop Assembley 20.jpg

Prop Shaft Dry Fit 21.jpg

Prop Dry Fit 22.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Andy just catching up with this thread ,and I'm drawn in already! Looking forward to the next update!

C

CDW

well there's been a few sharp intakes of breath this end when you've explained what "could" go wrong .....

Looking good so far though and it's coming together at a decent rate (in as much as i think anyway) .... might have to have an intermission so i can get some more popcorn ... it seems to be dissappearing at a rapid rate ... then again i am sitting next to Ron :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Thanks guys. Tonights installation was to install the drive motors. Firstly, locate the motor mounting plate and side supports and dry assemble.

View attachment 53602

Next was a little wiring and soldering. Had to check that the motors were counter rotating so a little heat shrink was applied to the right motor, i didnt want to unsolder the leads again as you can see it would have upset the 100 micro-fahrahd and 45 micro-fahrad capacitors that also had to be fitted.

View attachment 53603

Next was to fit the motors dry into the hull and check the alignment. Still a tricky little job but its hard now to tell if there is any binding as the motors themself had a little juddery resistance.

View attachment 53604View attachment 53605View attachment 53606

These will be uncoupled and slid back as i still have to drill a 3mm hole in the tubes and solder on the lubricating upright tubes, to do this i have to remove the shafts again. This will be tomorrows project.

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55911

View attachment 55912

View attachment 55913

View attachment 55914

View attachment 55915

Motor Mount 23.jpg

Motor Capacitors 27.jpg

Motors mounted 24.jpg

Motoers Mounted 25.jpg

Motor Wiring 26.jpg

Last edited:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's looking great Andy. Cracking work with the Dremal, rather you than me !

I'll pull up a bean bag, a can of beer and watch along.

Tony.

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Tony. Find a space and come and join the gang. This one is only just getting started, there are a lot of better things to come. Wait till we get to wiring the sound unit and all those LEDs :smiling3:

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Tidy looking motor instal Andy. I've always been curious how you keep the shafts spinning free yet maintain a leak free seal were they go through the hull?

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey. When we get it to a point that it runs free enough at best ill show you how they,( notice i said thay and not we lol this is my first boat) actualy do it. If i get it right haha.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Cool Andy looking forward to seeing how 'they' do it. Although with your mad skills its as good as done for sure! ;)

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Coming on a treat buddy were do you keep all your builds when there done. Bud have you got another house to store them in

C

Caledonia

Good grief you'll have it finished for Christmas at this rate, putting us all to shame - great work by the way. Cheers Derek

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Coming on a treat buddy were do you keep all your builds when there done. Bud have you got another house to store them in
Im fast running out of room mate. The P47 is stashed away in a big box under a bench. The B25 is in the model shop hanging up awaiting sale. The SE5a will stand proud taking up a valuable bench space but it has every right to be there. God knows where these next three boats are going to go. Need to extend the workshop soon.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
Good grief you'll have it finished for Christmas at this rate, putting us all to shame - great work by the way. Cheers Derek
Thanks Derek. I fear this will run for a few more months yet.

Andy

S

Sky Raider

You can recall i wasnt happy about the alignment of the shafts not being free enough. I decided to remove the straight linkages from the motors to the shafts and replaced them with union joints. This has made a world of difference and i cant understand why Robbe didnt include these in the pack.

View attachment 53656

Next job was to remove the drive shaft tubes and insert lube tubes into the shaft for both lubricating and water sealing. A 3mm hole is drilled into the shaft 20mm from the drive end and a swaged tube is filed to fit and then solderd to the shaft.

View attachment 53657View attachment 53658View attachment 53659

Once these are fitted back into the hull its time to fit the twin rudders in place.

View attachment 53660View attachment 53661

Now this part is for Trey. Here is the answer to glueing, filling and water sealing Trey. Apparantly this is the best stuff to use ive been advised. As you can see it is a 2 part adhesive and it dries like a resin and is ideal for this material as it will flex with the hull if necessary. I still have a little more to apply and its best to complete inside the hull first and then apply a filling smear on the outside afterwards.

View attachment 53662View attachment 53663View attachment 53664View attachment 53665

And here is an overview of the lube tubes and adhesive so far.

View attachment 53666View attachment 53667

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 55947

View attachment 55948

View attachment 55949

View attachment 55950

View attachment 55951

View attachment 55952

View attachment 55953

View attachment 55954

View attachment 55955