The Happy Hunter

P

Polux

I'm sorry Andy!!

Just discovered this thread, what to say?? Another fantastic of your models is coming, and personally love them!!

Have fun

Polux

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Polux. The same can be said of your work mate. I love building these bigger models and im sure members such as yourself enjoy these builds as they are a break from the norm.

Cheers

Andy

C

CDW

\ said:
God knows where these next three boats are going to go.
I've got a spare room....... feel free to ship 'em up

Got a box with old futaba and acoms radio gear too somewhere :smiling3: :smiling3:

S

Sky Raider

Time to seal the underside of the hull and at the same time try to simulate a welding seam/joint.

View attachment 53814View attachment 53815View attachment 53816

This done and set i moved onto the rudder linkages, firts ligning and fitting the servo arms.

View attachment 53817

Next was to locate the servo plate and fix it into position.

View attachment 53818View attachment 53819

Now to assemble the rudder servo carrier and servo. The carrier is provided as the servo is mounted on its side, the carrier allows for the fixing to the plate.

View attachment 53820

Now to insert the servo, connect the linkages and centre, test the operation with the servo tester.

View attachment 53821View attachment 53822

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 56089

View attachment 56090

View attachment 56091

View attachment 56092

View attachment 56093

View attachment 56094

View attachment 56095

View attachment 56096

View attachment 56097

Fix and Seal 1.jpg

Fix and Seal 2.jpg

Fix and Seal 3.jpg

Rudder arms 4.jpg

Servo plate 5.jpg

Rudder Servo Mount 7.JPG

Rudder Servo Ass 8.jpg

Rudder Servo Check 9.jpg

Rudder Assembley Link 10.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Excellent update Andy! Mystery no more ,appreciate the detailed info ,as they say a pic is worth...... ;) Looking forward to the next update!

S

Sky Raider

Thanks Trey, just to expand on that slightly. The two tubes you see sticking up from the prop shafts are the lube fillers, a hypo syringe is filled with grease or Vasaline and connected to the tube. This is then squeezed into the tube and travels along the shaft until it starts to force out of each end. This packed into the shaft creates the water barrier and stops water travelling along and into the hull.

I only found this out also when i started the kit. I thought that there was some sort of ceramic bushes involved. In my heating engineer days i found that some pumps had these ceramic bushes that worked against each other like two washers, a smear of grease on the faces stopped the water passing by.

Cheers

Andy

C

CDW

When the shafts are filled with grease, is this then maintenance free?? .. or is regular checking involved to make sure the grease hasn't forced it's way out somewhere or broken down due to heat/friction ?

I'd be a bit more confident with the bearing/bush idea myself :smiling3:

coming along nicely Andy, you're making it look easy ... i'll bet it's not eh? :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You cant get away with it that easy Colin, the shafts will need a quick squirt of lube each time you take it out to run. Its an easy job and takes seconds to do. Where as rowing out to the middle of the lake to collect the boat with ceased up proshafts or worse from the bottom of the pond. There was a time you could get a leather washer packed shaft, the leather holding the grease in. Unfortunatly, regreasing the shafts was a full strip down and people "forgot" to do it...

Ian M

C

CDW

Thanks for the explanation Ian,

i had a little speed boat "tens" of years ago and it had little "bungs" that were needing regreasing regularly, i suppose these would have been the leather ones you mention ......

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
When the shafts are filled with grease, is this then maintenance free?? .. or is regular checking involved to make sure the grease hasn't forced it's way out somewhere or broken down due to heat/friction ?I'd be a bit more confident with the bearing/bush idea myself :smiling3:

coming along nicely Andy, you're making it look easy ... i'll bet it's not eh? :smiling3:
Regular checks are required dependant on use etc. It makes good paractice to get into the habbit i guess. Regarding the build Colin. It seems straight forward enough, there has been some tricky bits but i fear it will get a little more tricky yet.

Cheers

Andy

S

Sky Raider

S

Sky Raider

Tonights task, make and fit the battery housing. A straight forward and simple job.

View attachment 53889View attachment 53890View attachment 53891View attachment 53892View attachment 53893

Next job is to construct and fit the bow thruster. Here is a look at the kit. Im away from tomorrow for a couple of days so this will have to wait till i get back. Making this and fitting it so it is waterproof may prove to be a tricky job due to its location and access when installed. We will see how it goes.

View attachment 53894

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 56145

View attachment 56146

View attachment 56147

View attachment 56148

View attachment 56149

View attachment 56150

Battery housing 1.jpg

Battery Housing 2.JPG

Battery Housing 3.jpg

Battery Housing 4.jpg

Battery Housing 5.jpg

Bow Thruster Kit.jpg

S

Sky Raider

Following on from my last post now that im back home, its time to continue with the Bow Thruster assembley. This is made up of no less than 15 parts in total not including the capacitors and cable. Adding these it comes to a sum of 19.

View attachment 54002View attachment 54003View attachment 54004View attachment 54005View attachment 54006

Now for the dreaded tubes. The holes in the hull had to be ground away little by little so as not to leave a massive gap around the tubes, this was a little nerve racking i can tell you. That Dremel has quite a bite to it. Once the tubes are sat horizontal its time to mark around the outside for the cut. I tried to leave enough to sand back but not too much to cause a nightmare of a job.

View attachment 54007View attachment 54008

Once satisfied it was back to the Dremel for the cut and then glue them to the bow thruster before adding the first application of waterproof resin or UHU as its known.

View attachment 54009View attachment 54010View attachment 54011

Now in place and happy with the position of centre its time to fix the whole lot in place. I will let this first application cure before standing the hull on its stearn and sealing the underside of the tubes. When that has cured ill sand back flush with the bow and fill the gap this time with car body filler from the outside.

View attachment 54012

Cheers

Andy

View attachment 56246

View attachment 56247

View attachment 56248

View attachment 56249

View attachment 56250

View attachment 56251

View attachment 56252

View attachment 56253

View attachment 56254

View attachment 56255

View attachment 56256

Bow thruster ass 1.jpg

Bow thruster ass 2.jpg

Bow thruster ass 3.jpg

Bow thruster ass 4.jpg

Bow thruster ass 5.jpg

Thruster tubes 1.JPG

Thruster tubes 2.jpg

Thruster tubes 3.JPG

Thruster tubes 4.jpg

Thruster tubes 5.JPG

Bow thruster in place.jpg

M

mobear

i dont think the woman in pic ten needs any polyfilla hahahahahaha,apart from that awesome going mate

mobear

S

Sky Raider

\ said:
i dont think the woman in pic ten needs any polyfilla hahahahahaha,apart from that awesome going matemobear
A creature of the sea mobear coming for a quick look to see whats going down lol. I didnt plan it that way honest.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I've just had a pleasant re- read of your build Andy, and it's all fascinating stuff and I'm learning loads too!

Keep it up......

Colin, I've just bought a bumper bag of pop corn, so shift over and dig in! I've ordered the drinks for the next interval....

Ron

S

Sky Raider

Cheers Ron. I must admit im learning to mate. I didnt know what a bow thruster was until i brought the kit and even then i wasnt sure. Now i can see how they manouver these things in tight docks.

Chuck us some of that popcorn mate before it all goes. Anyone got any Kiora????

Cheers

Andy

P

phalinmegob

do they still make kiora, havn't had that for years, what about some "um bongo,um bongo, they drink it in the congo"

M

mobear

yummmmmmm kiora,its to orangey for crows lol,just for me and my dog

mobear