Warrior IFV with a few bits added

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
As stated on the Churchill AVLB build, things are taking a short break, the Scimitar is close to paint, so I thought I would bring out the Warrior and build it as one used in Iraq 2005.
So it was off to Prime Portal for some pics and into my reference collection for a couple of books I knew I had...
20230831_121031_HDR.jpg
and now for the kit and the bits....
20230831_111811_HDR.jpg
Well by bits I meant the kit would supply a few and the after market would supply the rest...
20230831_111821_HDR.jpg
20230831_111824_HDR.jpg
20230831_111833_HDR.jpg
I do have another Warrior in my stash, but this is a different version and of a different time...
20230831_121142_HDR.jpg
So off to work, the first job was to mark off the items that required removal... which according to the AA instructions are the two rer right suspension covers/mounds inside the hull, plus the location plug and hole at the front of the hull to allow for the drivers compartment to fit - and as I cut off opposite ones I decided to remove them all duh!

The build commenced with sorting out the main interior components, cutting off the unwanted resin plugs, cleaning up and getting them ready for primer and paint.
After going through the instructions a few times I realised that once the parts were in the hull then the painting would be a nightmare. So I am going to paint the parts first and then carefully assemble....
20230831_144334_HDR.jpg
And here they are just before they went off to be primed, and this is only the lower hull, the turret comes later....
Mike.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
As stated on the Churchill AVLB build, things are taking a short break, the Scimitar is close to paint, so I thought I would bring out the Warrior and build it as one used in Iraq 2005.
So it was off to Prime Portal for some pics and into my reference collection for a couple of books I knew I had...
View attachment 489681
and now for the kit and the bits....
View attachment 489682
Well by bits I meant the kit would supply a few and the after market would supply the rest...
View attachment 489683
View attachment 489684
View attachment 489686
I do have another Warrior in my stash, but this is a different version and of a different time...
View attachment 489687
So off to work, the first job was to mark off the items that required removal... which according to the AA instructions are the two rer right suspension covers/mounds inside the hull, plus the location plug and hole at the front of the hull to allow for the drivers compartment to fit - and as I cut off opposite ones I decided to remove them all duh!

The build commenced with sorting out the main interior components, cutting off the unwanted resin plugs, cleaning up and getting them ready for primer and paint.
After going through the instructions a few times I realised that once the parts were in the hull then the painting would be a nightmare. So I am going to paint the parts first and then carefully assemble....
View attachment 489689
And here they are just before they went off to be primed, and this is only the lower hull, the turret comes later....
Mike.
I'll watch this one Mike, I liked the Warrior. Have a couple of shell casings adorning my space as a memory of watching them firing at St Andrews Farm, Lulworth. Pal of mine loves driving the Warrior at Tankfest, (he's Royal Wessex Yeomanry), he loves it. Heard a few tales too from various Regt's passing through about Warrior.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been busy on this with sorting out the main components checking for fit and getting them ready for paint. Here I have started on the interior paintwork. First was a coat of grey primer, followed with a coat of Light Grey, and then the green was Tamiya 'Lacquer Paint' NATO Green over a coat of Tamiya Olive Drab XF-62, which toned down the NATO Green. Then a lot of masking to get ready to spray on the biscuit colour for the foam pads. After much comparing I went for AK 4034 BSC 61 Light Stone, and the fuel tank was a wet coat of AK 4031 BSC 64 Portland Stone, this was then dabbed while still wet with a tissue and then once dry another very light coat of the same. This will be followed with a reddish colour to represent the diesel fuel. For those that do not know, the fuet tanks are made from a nylon/fibre glass material and is transparent. So when the tank was half full the troops in the back were prone to watching the liquid sloshing about and suffered from motion sickness - my fuel tank has yet to be painted by the squaddies....
20230903_104152_HDR.jpg
20230904_091920_HDR.jpg
There is still more detail painting to be added and then I can start to add the interior to the vehicle.
Cheers
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Another lesson in chopping and changing, altering, cutting off and sticking on. I thought your title - "a few bits added" was a bit unlikely. Looking forward to it. A lot of progress already.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
JimR, scottie, welcome to you both, more work starting this week, just got to put the Scimitar to bed and then on with the Warrior.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been doing bits and peices over the last few days along with sorting out a base for the Scimitar and priming the base(s) for the Centurion AVLB. Plus dare I say it fencing off the lawn under the scornfull eye (only one in the middle of her eyebrows) of SWMBO. Now the dogs are protesting because they have to go:poop: on the slabs...
Anyway back to the build...
20230911_192118_HDR.jpg
So this is the start of the interior that leads up to the turret basket.
20230911_192106_HDR.jpg
The rear side wall sections with still a bit of detail painting to do...
20230911_192102_HDR.jpg
The rear wall with Swingfire location marks and detail painting still underway - the roof hatch surround almost ready to be installed - the fuel tank with the fuel visible through the tank side - and the area that sits on the drivers left side.
20230911_192112_HDR.jpgAnd finally here are the engine side and rear bulkheads with above them the ammo boxes and drivers steering area yet to be worked on.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Now come on, Olderthanme!!! How in the hell am I finally supposed to ketchup with all the great builds on here, when you go starting another build!!! What is that, three on the go now??? I luckily caught your Sitar thingy with the whoopie light and aren't you building a bridge layer too???...

Well, anyway Mike, nice progress and it looks like you have enough accessoires for this puppy to keep you busy for a little while. I'll try and keep up.......There just ain't enough beers hours in a day for it all.........

Prost
Youngerthanyou

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Now come on, Olderthanme!!! How in the hell am I finally supposed to ketchup with all the great builds on here, when you go starting another build!!! What is that, three on the go now??? I luckily caught your Sitar thingy with the whoopie light and aren't you building a bridge layer too???...

Well, anyway Mike, nice progress and it looks like you have enough accessoires for this puppy to keep you busy for a little while. I'll try and keep up.......There just ain't enough beers hours in a day for it all.........

Prost
Youngerthanyou
Hey! Youngerthanme,
Sorry if I am blazing a trail you find hard to keep up with, but I have slowed down as much as I can to allow you to ketchup....
Sorry about starting another build on top of the finished Scimitar, but when the urge gets you..... And I have a CSM armoured car or two just itching to get on the bench.
Thanks for reminding me about the bridgelayer, I think he must have forgotten to send out the replacement parts, so will remind him with a gentle email.
I am pleased you like the progress so far, just wait untill I get to the soldering stage, then it will be Oo! oo! burnt finger - dip it in the beer.....
Enjoy the beers sorry hours at the bench... Got to catch up Allen on your build progress.
Prost
Olderthanyou

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
Been a busy boy today, done some modelling, repaired the wallpaper where Mad Betty (now weighs in at 20kilo) decided to remove some of it, and then played in the rain under the gazebo collecting rain in tubs where the rain was running in little rivers of the top of the gazebo, ready to fill the rain butt while SWMBO looked out of the window with a "What is the mad b****r up to now...." look on her face...
So what has been happening on the bench....
Decided I would not use the etch net supplied but would make my own, so here it is in the first prototype stage just to see if it would work....
20230912_213058_HDR.jpg
Next it will be made with the netting straps thinner...
Then it was back onto the interior and fitting the fuel tank, after a little sanding on the sides in it went...
20230912_212942_HDR.jpg
then in went the drivers floor and testing the steering console for fit but did not glue it in yet as the pedals etc have to be fitted...
So flushed with success it was time to fit the engine side wall and make sure it fitted both with and without the top half of the hull in place - and after a little sanding it made it... Although not glued in place yet as the other engine bulkhead has to be fitted and mated to this one...
20230912_212958_HDR.jpg

20230912_212626_HDR.jpg
And the top kit engine cover does fit in place...
Next in line was the roof hatch interior panel and again a little sanding had this fitting in place with a little c/a on the underside flat face...
20230912_213016_HDR.jpg
And there you can see the lights and air blowers....
So what about the kit you ask - well I actually got down to doing some work on the kit parts themselves. Rear door first had some plastic removed and a couple of holes filled...
20230912_212653_HDR.jpg
And for the bar armour there has to be some modification to the kit side panels...
20230912_212608_HDR.jpg
Now in the instructions it gives you the impression that you have to remove 2mm from the raised section (black line), but in fact you have to remove 2mm from the stubs (inverted 'V') as you can see what is left on the one above it....
There is also some bolt head removal on the outer sides...
20230912_212615_HDR.jpg
All marked in black felt pen. These will be removed tomorrow and put away untill required.
Do not be confused with the side skirts in the kit, these are not required for this build and come from the original release of this kit.
And that is it for today.
Cheers
Mike

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Forgot to add that there are a bunch of parts up in the shed/modelling annex in primer waiting to be painted, so weather permitting that is where I will be today.

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Update,
20230921_221956_HDR.jpg
The new net is complete and in place, as are the start of the seat belts. Tried to replicate that silver/grey material used in seatbelts, restraining straps, will look better once it has had a coat of wash...

20230921_221533_HDR.jpg
Drivers seat getting the same treatment.

20230921_221657_HDR.jpg
And there is the office....

20230921_221731_HDR.jpg

Bit more work on the roof interior. The ring in the opening for the turret will have the protective cage fitted to it.

20230921_221629_HDR.jpg
More of the reat compartment...

20230921_221524_HDR.jpg
The rear door has had a new hydraulic ram made from aluminium tube so that the door can be removed and added later in the build once the bar armour has been fitted. All parts are still loose at this time.
And that is it to date,
Cheers
Mike.