We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Doug, you Sir, need to stand up and take a bow!!!..For your first build after so long, you've nailed it!!! Hey, there will always be things that you are not happy with and could improve. We are our own worst critics. You can just apply them to your next build. i'm sure it will also be fantastic!!!...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That's looking well Doug.

The first of many now you're back in the saddle I hope.
Thank you Andy. What I'd ultimately like to do are two Mk 5's. (Pingers). in a scene like the pic below. After I gain a bit more experience!!
(I was in the left SK after we did an emergency landing after having a coming together with a small boat we were winching to. (We lost several inches to all the main rotor blades). The second, right hand Mk5 was our lift home! (It also carried the man who had a degree in CDF.) Who said we were lucky to land it where we did and not crash!! (I'm the short arse standing by the nose of C/S 04. (Bandy legs). ) For anyone wondering why the elongated wheel sponson on 04 - it was to house a MAD boom! (Magnetic Anomaly Detector).
Car park on a housing estate in Fairley, Ayrshire.
Downbird Fairley Scotland.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That must have been quite a hairy moment Doug.
Hopefully you are going to post this in the completed section when finished because the Committee are gathering !

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That must have been quite a hairy moment Doug.
Hopefully you are going to post this in the completed section when finished because the Committee are gathering !
It was a tad hairy John!! We had to place one tall aerial from the vessel between the starboard wheel sponson and the airframe another aerial was very close to the rotor tips. My session with control of the aircraft went fine. No drama's. When the orficer!! Took control, he lost the plot and failed to keep his peepers on the end of the rotors - then Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack as we his. Composite blades - 0, Aerial -5.
We sustained a massive 1R vibration and subsequently had to put it down where we could. Unfortunately our emergency site was fouled so we threw it down where we did. Engineer officer reckoned if we had flown another 5 minutes we would have lost lift and crashed. As an aside, the chap in control of the winching at the time went on to be the commanding officer of the same squadron some years later!!! (Hope his winching had improved!!) :smiling2: :smiling2:

And yes, I'll Transfer the images to mission accomplished. :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It was a tad hairy John!! We had to place one tall aerial from the vessel between the starboard wheel sponson and the airframe another aerial was very close to the rotor tips. My session with control of the aircraft went fine. No drama's. When the orficer!! Took control, he lost the plot and failed to keep his peepers on the end of the rotors - then Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack - Whack as we his. Composite blades - 0, Aerial -5.
We sustained a massive 1R vibration and subsequently had to put it down where we could. Unfortunately our emergency site was fouled so we threw it down where we did. Engineer officer reckoned if we had flown another 5 minutes we would have lost lift and crashed. As an aside, the chap in control of the winching at the time went on to be the commanding officer of the same squadron some years later!!! (Hope his winching had improved!!) :smiling2: :smiling2:

And yes, I'll Transfer the images to mission accomplished. :thumb2:
You were extremely lucky then Doug !

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
You were extremely lucky then Doug !
Indeed John, just one of many though. Military aviation was full of err - experiences! I did draft a book of my exploits but many of my compatriots got there before me so it'll be for family reading only. (To see what the old git did when he went to work very day!!)