We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well, here we go. 1st kit in over 45 years. Son bought it at Xmas and it has sat until now waiting for me to be inspired!!
I have been gathering kit as some will have gathered, gaining knowledge from you guys and YT. After some encouragement from folk on this site I have finally bitten the bullet and started. (After I washed the car - SWIMBO has spoken).
Cleaned it off, soapy water and rinse, luckily a dry day so it was blow dry outside!!! After lunch, checked it all over, re-read the instructions and started. Took my time. Must admit it surprised me that I had to cut out small sections and drill a few holes. That seemed a step backwards, but onwards and upwards. Didn't do too much, cut, trim rub down. Then dry fit a couple of times before glueing. Couple of pics of first kit in 45 years!!! Hears hoping!! Already have some ideas about exhaust gases and making it a bit realistic - but I'm not holding my breath!IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hey that really looks good.
Like I mentioned, I'm going to go for the grey version as used down south. Also going to add or try to add the muck that is always present on Sea Kings, especially from the engine exhausts!!!
Particularly like the review. The ASW version differs quite a lot from the Mk3. Yes, same shape, but it's the additional windows, no sonar well not withstanding the colour!!!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Good to see this Doug. You're right to take your time and dry fit until you're really happy before deciding to glue.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As far as I know they were 78 sqn. During the conflict 202 sqn provided SAR at Ascension Island and may have gone to the FI in the immediate aftermath but I can be certain.
If you have the kit with the grey Sea King on the box with a yellow and black stripe along the fuselage side then you have the 78 sqn decal included. It’s a yellow lion rampant on a black disc.
If you don’t have this kit I’ll see if I have a spare to give you, I have at least two of these kits.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I love it, every day a school day. I thought the RAF only had 2 x SAR Sqdn's. 202/22! Never knew about 76 Sqdn.
The kit I have is the bog standard yellow SK on the box. So if you have a spare decal I'm sure we can come to a amicable solution!!! :thumb2:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I'll follow along with this one.

I made this kit a few years ago here as my second ever model so was totally out of the box but I enjoyed building it as a tribute to my little bro' who was a winchman for many years (and still is with the new lot)

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'll follow along with this one.

I made this kit a few years ago here as my second ever model so was totally out of the box but I enjoyed building it as a tribute to my little bro' who was a winchman for many years (and still is with the new lot)
At some stage I want to build a Naval Mk2, 5 or 6 as they are the marks I flew in. ASW and SAR although the SAR cabs I used weren't the red nosed 771 cabs. I noticed that one kit has the Prestwick decals so that would be what I would ideally like.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I saw the lion but no idea which squadron it was related too! Squadron crests and squadron related symbols can be confusing. 771 NAS displays the Ace of Clubs but the formal crest is;

771crest.jpg

On 819 we only displayed the formal crest. (Achilles heel with an arrow through it!!) Represents the boot of Italy with e arrow showing the attack heading on the WW2 Taranto raid when the squadron flew Swordfish!

819crest.jpg

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Cor blimey!! Bit challenged this morning!! Trying to get some tiny seat legs fit into place. You get five in place and one will just not go! Three arms would have been useful! Ended up using a 0.something drill bit to semi ream out the locating holes. Then spent a while nurturing a tiny bent leg to be in line with the rest!!!
Then a deep breath and start again on another set!!! Wish they were as robust as the real seat legs. Locate over the deck stud, turn and lock the leg into place!!! Still, it's coming along! Have 95% of the cabin equipment fitted. Depending on the weather, (forecast isn't particularly good), I may try and spray a primer on the cabin tomorrow, then add a bit of detail to the cockpit area.
Question for @rickoshea52 on the Mk3 the access to the cockpit was there a bulkhead at the rear of the left hand seat pilot?. On the Mk2, 5 and 6 as you walked up the steps you had the broom cupboard in front of you and the rear of the left hand pilots seat. When conducting a navex I regularly stood between the pilots - no bulkhead!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Interesting read.Quite partial to Seakings,Ive got a couple of Revell kits in 72 that constantly leer at me from the shelf of long ago purchases.
Watching with interest if you dont mind me pulling up a seat.
Rich.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug