We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
well to warn her 211 times she must have always been out of the room lol an you dint want to get a black eye did you Doug lol
chrisb
Know your enemy Chris!!! This is the woman who threw a hot iron at her dad all because he said don't crease his shirt!!!! This is the woman who bashed me over the head with a tray when I asked if the gravy was lumpy!!!!!!
Criticise her at your own peril!!!!! :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Know your enemy Chris!!! This is the woman who threw a hot iron at her dad all because he said don't crease his shirt!!!! This is the woman who bashed me over the head with a tray when I asked if the gravy was lumpy!!!!!!
Criticise her at your own peril!!!!! :smiling5: :smiling5: :smiling5:
BLOOMIN HECK you must be married to matron then lol
chrisb

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nah, she's a pussy cat really. She has a nice side - I'm still looking but I'm sure she has!!!!

Wouldn't be without her. Been 50 years now so I know when to duck!!!
WELL we been married over 40 yrs an i also know when to duck an tread carfully an jen is a goodun as she sometimes helps me with my ship like holdin my wrist steady when i get the shakes when solderin or something fiddley
chrisb

Reactions: JR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
WELL we been married over 40 yrs an i also know when to duck an tread carfully an jen is a goodun as she sometimes helps me with my ship like holdin my wrist steady when i get the shakes when solderin or something fiddley
chrisb
If my nearest and dearest sets foot near my build area she gets a red card!!! She knows she is to modelling what a wrecking ball is to demolition!!!!!
The reason I gave up yonks ago was her dusting!! Prop gone here, wing off there and the Bart Simpson response of 'wasn't me - I didn't do it'!!!
Hopefully - she has seen what I have put into this and stay away. That will be the very best help she can give. Not said maliciously - just truthfully, she will be the first to admit she is a one woman destruction team!!!! We're a good team, we know each others ways.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL JEN was dusting up near my planes what all light up an she dint know that the mirrors all around are just balanced against the wall an she knocked a mirror down an flatten my E/E LIGHTNIG dont know if i will repair it as to much damage :crying: :crying: :crying:
chrisb

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Not as good a day as yesterday!! A/B the final coat, overall - happy with that. However, when I took off the masking tape from the pilots canopy - UGH!!! Hadn't sealed the cockpit area as well as I should have. Light dusting of paint inside in places. Also!! As I had masked up before assembling the clear stuff I had some making tape inside the cockpit!!!! Another UGH moment. I managed to remove the offending clear section and remove the offending tape from the inside then re-glued the bit back in place. Next time, I'll cover the cockpit with damp tissue and fit the perspex after airbrushing.
Seen quite a few areas that I could improve on. Overall - bl**dy awful session today. On the positive side, learned a few things. Not going to bin it, first kit so I'll keep it as a reference.
IMG_0711.JPG

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Primer looks to have gone on nice and smoothly.
Shame about the over spray.

One of those with yellow and black stripes that lives in India :rolling:
Thanks Jim.
Like I said, first kit so many many lessons learned and I probably would have been worried if I didn't make mistakes. I have to say, now I'm getting more used to an airbrush, I kinda like it.
It can only get better.

As for the she cat!! You're probably right!!!!!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Not as good a day as yesterday!! A/B the final coat, overall - happy with that. However, when I took off the masking tape from the pilots canopy - UGH!!! Hadn't sealed the cockpit area as well as I should have. Light dusting of paint inside in places. Also!! As I had masked up before assembling the clear stuff I had some making tape inside the cockpit!!!! Another UGH moment. I managed to remove the offending clear section and remove the offending tape from the inside then re-glued the bit back in place. Next time, I'll cover the cockpit with damp tissue and fit the perspex after airbrushing.
Seen quite a few areas that I could improve on. Overall - bl**dy awful session today. On the positive side, learned a few things. Not going to bin it, first kit so I'll keep it as a reference.
View attachment 479911
Don't take it to heart Waspie, I've seen it happen to others who have been building for years. Just a doh! moment and you move on from there. Nice bit of recovery work and I'm sure it will turn out better than you are feeling at the present. Moggle on!! :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Don't take it to heart Waspie, I've seen it happen to others who have been building for years. Just a doh! moment and you move on from there. Nice bit of recovery work and I'm sure it will turn out better than you are feeling at the present. Moggle on!! :thumb2:
Thanks Rick. And Yup 'moggling on'. I never even made a move towards the hammer so it lives to fight another day. Tomorrows another day!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Today was fiddly painting day.
Did a bit of dirtying up of the wheel wells, adding colour to the lights then coating with a clear paint to enhance the effect! (Kinda worked).
Blades are painted now, although I did mine in a dull black rather than the grey in the instructions. (I've never seen grey blades!!!) Tomorrows job with be trying to add some wear to them, leading edges tend to suffer from erosion.

One question, I see lots weathering the external surfaces to bring out the panels etc. What technique do people use?

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug,
Sorry it's been a while since I have seen this blog so just had a good catch up. Coming on very nicely.
Thank you Paul. As I mentioned in an earlier post, A RPG in the cockpit would be my recommended cure for the aboration that is the cockpit!!!!
(I think I have found what the main problem was/is with the cockpit. When I was first building the main deck and associated fittings, I noticed the deck was slightly curved. I should have corrected it then but when I was dry fitting I was sure the warp would be contained by the fuselage. - Not so sadly)
But hey ho - I'll build another just for the heck of it after my next kit to ensure the lessons learned are put into good use!

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thank you Paul. As I mentioned in an earlier post, A RPG in the cockpit would be my recommended cure for the aboration that is the cockpit!!!! But hey ho - I'll build another just for the heck of it after my next kit to ensure the lessons learned are put into good use!
Doug,
This is what this hobby is all about, learning from our mistakes and learning from the great advice offered. I have had some sage advice on here and also made some big mistakes. But the number one rule is have fun in what you are doing.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Doug,
This is what this hobby is all about, learning from our mistakes and learning from the great advice offered. I have had some sage advice on here and also made some big mistakes. But the number one rule is have fun in what you are doing.
Yeah agree, some really good advice come from you guys, I dare say if I hadn't joined this group I would have just built it and binned it weeks ago.
Today, SWIMBO came out to check on me as I'd been 'fiddling' for ages. 'I can't see what you've done', she says. So I point out the navigation lights, (coloured), the exhausts, and intakes, the dirtying of the undercarriage, painting the aerials etc. 'OH'- says she!! I was thoroughly engrossed and enjoying it.