We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Don’t forget the RHWR antennae on the nose and tail boom. Step 50 & 51 in the instructions.
Fitted those! Don't know if I should have or not! Do you know what exactly they are for!! Obviously not part of the ASW Kings! Although I did think the box on the tail was part of an ecm fit but realised there wasn't a corresponding box on the stbd. side!!

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Radar Homing Warning Receiver. They detect radar transmissions that may be targeting the aircraft so warn the crew. I think they might also fire flares or control a jammer. We had a similar system on Pumas and Chinooks in NI.
Only a couple of HAR SK’s had them fitted for use in FI.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Radar Homing Warning Receiver. They detect radar transmissions that may be targeting the aircraft so warn the crew. I think they might also fire flares or control a jammer. We had a similar system on Pumas and Chinooks in NI.
Only a couple of HAR SK’s had them fitted for use in FI.
We had a system called 'Orange Crop' ECM. scanned all spectrums for radars, hostile and weapon targeting. Quite useful when those damn Rooskies were sniffing about. Gave us 360 degree coverage. Even used it when on SAR to ID specific vessels!!! Pilot stuff so knew very little about it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
We had a system called 'Orange Crop' ECM.
Orange Crop wasn’t ECM but ESM, which is to say, a system that passively listens to electronic emissions in order to gather intelligence about them. This fits with your mention of using it to ID ships, which wouldn’t be possible with ECM, as that is intended to disrupt enemy radar and other detection, target-marking or guidance systems.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Orange Crop wasn’t ECM but ESM, which is to say, a system that passively listens to electronic emissions in order to gather intelligence about them. This fits with your mention of using it to ID ships, which wouldn’t be possible with ECM, as that is intended to disrupt enemy radar and other detection, target-marking or guidance systems.
It's been a long long time and it was pilot stuff. Always getting acronyms muddled these days. (Especially esm and ecm).
Anyway!!!! It was way better than the bit of kit we had in the Wasp. It was directional only in the fact it was hand held and the operator moved it to search for emissions! That and a stop watch to time the pulses!!! (PRF - another damn acronym!!) Real state of the art - no flashing lights just a very high pitched whine if you were locked onto a targeting radar!!

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
This is where I am today.
Currently waiting for some varnish to arrive and stuck in a quandary regards decals on before varnishing - or varnish then fix decals and varnish again!! In a! Oh Me - Oh My mode right now.
Then once that is done. Fit main rotor and tail rotor blades!!!! And hide it in a dark place!!!!!
Ended up yesterday painting the TKS on the barn door by hand. (White lines on the engine intake cover).
IMG_0721.JPG

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Super late to the party Doug. Apologies for that Sir!!! I'm not too hip on the whirly thingy's, but you seem to have this one under control. Some very nice work and some good learning along the way too. Ya gotta love this hobby!!! Keep it coming and I'll try to keep up more...

Prost
Allen

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Super late to the party Doug. Apologies for that Sir!!! I'm not too hip on the whirly thingy's, but you seem to have this one under control. Some very nice work and some good learning along the way too. Ya gotta love this hobby!!! Keep it coming and I'll try to keep up more...

Prost
Allen
Hey no problem Allen. As a first kit for many many decades I'm sorta pleased, just wish I hadn't cocked up the cockpit clear stuff!! Little bit more to do. Varnish has just arrived so that will be fitted in over the next few days in between SWIMBO's chores!!!!

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Looking good Doug.

Many varnish before and after decals. It isn't strictly necessary to do it before if the paint is smooth enough but it can help them go down more easily and also protect the paint from some strong decal solutions.

By the way, will you be masking the windows before varnish? Most leave the masking on until afterwards to prevent it fogging the "glass"

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking good Doug.

Many varnish before and after decals. It isn't strictly necessary to do it before if the paint is smooth enough but it can help them go down more easily and also protect the paint from some strong decal solutions.

By the way, will you be masking the windows before varnish? Most leave the masking on until afterwards to prevent it fogging the "glass"
Thanks Andy for the tips - appreciated. I'll mask the whole cockpit windows and maskoll the smaller clear areas. The cockpit area is a bomb site as far as aesthetics are concerned. Nor will I varnish the rotor blades.
Things have been happening in a bit of haphazard order but that's down to me learning as I'm progressing.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well - it's finished, (of sorts). Still have a bit of tidying up to do and experiment with some weathering and exhaust wash over the airframe.
Cockpit area is disaster - a decal or two didn't work out. One flew off when I was applying the final gloss coat. I notice on the images that a couple appear to have air trapped under them and the gloss.
However, I have learned a lot! Have got to grips with the airbrush. (Especially as it's not a particularly rated airbrush).
Next attempt I will be paying more attention to detail, seams etc. (I found taking pictures brings out things I can't see in the garage so I will be using that more before I move onto the next bit)IMG_0732.JPG

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That’s a very respectable first effort — and as you say, you seem to have learned a lot for the next one. Come back to the subject and build the same kit a few years from now to see how much you’ll have progressed by then :smiling3:

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Nice one Doug :thumb2:

Valiant effort for your first kit in such a long time, not really an easy one to go for either :surprised:

Looking forward to see what’s next up on your bench.

Geoff.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Doug some more pics please at diffent angles Sir if you please
chrisb

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Doug,
That looks very respectable indeed mate :smiling3:
Choppers are very tricky things to build for sure so I think you should be rather pleased with yourself. ;)
Nice one!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi Doug,
That looks very respectable indeed mate :smiling3:
Choppers are very tricky things to build for sure so I think you should be rather pleased with yourself. ;)
Nice one!
Thanks Andy, your kind words are much appreciated. At a distance I'm kinda pleased with it but when I look at it closer up and at the pics I get the urge to reach for a hammer!!!!

Nice one Doug :thumb2:

Valiant effort for your first kit in such a long time, not really an easy one to go for either :surprised:

Looking forward to see what’s next up on your bench.

Geoff.
Thank you Geoff. I envy you guys with the experience and knowledge.
The next project is on the bench in its box!! Awaiting the ceremonial opening!! (Challenger 2 TES). Will be spending a tad more time on that un as it's a tad more complicated a build as it has PE and I have only seen it on here so that's another learning curve to climb!