We're off. RAF Sea King HAR

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Interesting read.Quite partial to Seakings,Ive got a couple of Revell kits in 72 that constantly leer at me from the shelf of long ago purchases.
Watching with interest if you dont mind me pulling up a seat.
Rich.
It’s my first kit after 45+ years so more an exercise in assembly and experimenting with an airbrush!! Another first!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I own an airbrush but never used it.Living in a flats put pay to the spray.Might get to use i hope someday.Good luck with your painting.
Rich
Maybe you could run a vent tube out of a window! I'm limited indoors due to wifey being asthmatic. So I am left to carry out any spraying in the garage/workshop on less windy days!!

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well, I primed it a couple of days ago and returned today to put a first coat of base colour to the deck and bulkheads. Also experimented with a couple of bits. Mixed some colours to try and replicate the orange for the rear observation seats and also, not shown, the innards on the LWS, Light Weight Stretcher. I did a mix of bright yellow with a sand colour to try and copy the sheeps wool covers on the pilots and navigators seats. More layers to go to build up the depth of colour.
IMG_0611.JPG

Last edited:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Finally managed to get a couple of hours to myself. (New puppy has put so much on the back burner).
Disappeared into my man cave and had a play with the airbrush and experiment with a bit of 'weathering'. Well!! Making the Sea King deck dirty!! I think it's too much, need to get more paint off the brush! But it's a learning process so I'll know for next time. Just as well all the doors will be closed and it won't be visible.
I primed the inside of the two cabin sections. Hit a snag when I was cleaning the airbrush, symptomatic of having a cheapo I reckon!! The finger button jumped out onto the floor!!
Anyway, a lesson in stripping and reassembling the airbrush entailed together with a damn good clean as it was in it's component parts.
Not very happy with what's transpiring with the model but it's still looking like a Sea King at the moment.
Question. When masking off areas to be sprayed, what tape do you use? I have loads of frog tape and that general white masking tape. Or should I procure something different?
Progress so far.
IMG_0660.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking fine.
Don't use ordinary, decorator's masking tape. It will either rip off the paint and/ or leave a residue. Loads of special stuff made for modellers. Tamiya is good, comes on different widths. Remember to carefully burnish the edges of the tape to ensure a nice clean edge.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Looking fine.
Don't use ordinary, decorator's masking tape. It will either rip off the paint and/ or leave a residue. Loads of special stuff made for modellers. Tamiya is good, comes on different widths. Remember to carefully burnish the edges of the tape to ensure a nice clean edge.
Thanks for that Jim, really glad I asked I could have really messed up worse than I'm already doing!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hit a snag when I was cleaning the airbrush, symptomatic of having a cheapo I reckon!! The finger button jumped out onto the floor!!
That’s not unique to cheap airbrushes, as the trigger is usually only really held in place by the needle, though it may have some additional protrusions to keep it inside the airbrush a bit. On a Badger, for example, pulling the needle out and holding the airbrush upside-down is enough to lose the trigger — and then you’ll have great fun getting it back in because a sprung bit of steel sits against the back of it, that you somehow need to push back before you can re-insert it. Iwatas are similar but at least have a kind of pivots on the trigger so it needs to be rotated 90° before it can come out of its slot. Doesn’t stop it coming up too far, of course, but that’s not as bad as it dropping out unexpectedly.

As for masking tape: buy the kind aimed at modellers, or at least the yellow or orange or otherwise colourful kind sold at DIY stores. The old-fashioned white type, like Jim said, is far too adhesive.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
That’s not unique to cheap airbrushes, as the trigger is usually only really held in place by the needle, though it may have some additional protrusions to keep it inside the airbrush a bit. On a Badger, for example, pulling the needle out and holding the airbrush upside-down is enough to lose the trigger — and then you’ll have great fun getting it back in because a sprung bit of steel sits against the back of it, that you somehow need to push back before you can re-insert it. Iwatas are similar but at least have a kind of pivots on the trigger so it needs to be rotated 90° before it can come out of its slot. Doesn’t stop it coming up too far, of course, but that’s not as bad as it dropping out unexpectedly.

As for masking tape: buy the kind aimed at modellers, or at least the yellow or orange or otherwise colourful kind sold at DIY stores. The old-fashioned white type, like Jim said, is far too adhesive.
Thanks Jakko, I did get a lot out of the airbrush self destructing on a minor scale!!!! Took it all apart and understood more about how it operates. Also getting to grips with operating pressures which made spraying easier today.
After you and Jims remarks re masking, I'll source some correct tape before I proceed further with the internals.
All comments positive or negative gratefully received!! :thumb2: :smiling2: :smiling2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Well, my masking tape arrived today so I can start taping off bits for airbrushing!!
On the down side, nothing was done because I had a major paint spillage after a blockage in the end of the container caused the end cap to fly off dispensing Sea Grey - everywhere!! Not happy.:unamused:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Had a half decent day today. Experimented with airbrush. At the same time, airbrushed the interior fuselage of the 'King'. I tried adding a little too much thinner to the paint to check the effect!! Lessons learned from that, weak colour and when dry, the colour was speckled with minute bubbles. Also tried with too much paint!! Well - no spraying. Also found the mix varies from colour to colour. Did a dry fit of the two half and the deck, appears to be a minor bend in the deck which I will get around!!!!!
I'm almost pleased with how the deck turned out. It looks suitably worn!
Slow progress but it's been a busy time with everything else going on!! Retirement - it's a trap!!!! Never been so busy!
IMG_0667.JPG

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Progressing well Doug :thumb2:

Might not be getting every result you have in mind but it seems like you sre learning loads of valuable lessons.

Whatever type of masking tape you use it’s almost always a good idea if you are masking area’s already painted to take some of the tac off the tape by putting the strips on the back of your hand or arm a couple of times. This will lessen the risk of it lifting of the paint already put down when you remove the tape.

Geoff.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Whatever type of masking tape you use it’s almost always a good idea if you are masking area’s already painted to take some of the tac off the tape by putting the strips on the back of your hand or arm a couple of times. This will lessen the risk of it lifting of the paint already put down when you remove the tape.

Geoff.
Thank you Geoff, that's really good stuff to know.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely.....

Like you I cut my teeth on cheap ABs...a great way to learn how they work without risking something expensive.... That said the quality can be a bit iffy sometimes, which can cause its own issues.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Coming on nicely.....

Like you I cut my teeth on cheap ABs...a great way to learn how they work without risking something expensive.... That said the quality can be a bit iffy sometimes, which can cause its own issues.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Thanks Andrew. Airbrushing is a bit like my first car, (VW Beetle), a right bag of worms but the experience putting everything right stood me in good stead. Already mentioned to family I will be upgrading the AB about Xmas time. Today I'm going to experiment with a 0.5 needle to see what I get from that. The more I cock up the more I learn.
Thank you Andrew et al for all the comments. What is common practice for you guys is all new stuff to me so the learning curve is quite steep at the moment and I appreciate any and all feed back and advice. :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
After a few upsetting days, (Dogs - not my new arrival thankfully). I managed to source a squadron badge for my Sea King. That stage will be a week away I guess but it'll add some authenticity to the helicopter.
Managed to assemble the undercarriage yesterday, three hands would have been helpful. Another lesson learned to boot. The assembly consisted of three main parts, Stub wing, undercarriage housing and arm to house the oleo. Stupid me placed the stub wing one night then tried to mate the rest up the day after. Unfortunately for me one of the stub wings was a gnats bits out of true. As a result the oleo didn't fit in the recess properly. Disassembled the U/C and spent the rest of the afternoon removing and cleaning up mess!!! Alls well that ends well, finally assembled it as it should have been!!
Note to self - Don't Rush!!

Question? Anyone any idea or experience simulating thick oil flowing down the airframe? (Sea Kings renowned for leaking main gearbox's!)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Have a look at this website for ideas on how Sea Kings look in service. Although different variants than the HAR3/3A, the same staining and dirt streaking is common. In fact, as you are doing the grey whale these might be fairly accurate.

My experience on Sea Kings were that oil leaks were cleaned up quickly and rectified. What you see streaking from under cowlings and panels is more likely rain/sea water or from aircraft washes - supposed to be a fresh water rinse daily if operated over the sea or every seven days for a full soapy wash if time permitted. You might also see vertical streaking down the cab side from the exhaust from compressor washes.

There are products that replicate oil or fuel for weathering, Mig do a number of different effects but I have also used Tensocrom for this effect. Apply more product to build up the effect you desire.