Workbenches...

• Thread starter Deleted member 9328
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9328

Hello - new guy...again! What setups and where do you setup workspace for your builds. Thinking of either a plain workdesk for house or something industrial for garage (but suspect with winter coming it will get pretty chilly out there).

Ideas, images, or a pointer to a thread would be great thanks to visualise the working requirement from the off.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh,now you've gone and done it Taff!!
Prepare yourself to be bombarded with pics of MANY of the guys modelling set ups....
Ranging from immaculate complete rooms to benches that look like a bomb has just gone off !! ;)
.... Should be fun this.......

D

Deleted member 9328

Oh,now you've gone and done it Taff!!
Prepare yourself to be bombarded with pics of MANY of the guys modelling set ups....
Ranging from immaculate complete rooms to benches that look like a bomb has just gone off !! ;)
.... Should be fun this.......
Bet there is some great workbenches for inspiration though! ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Oh yes...
Every one of them in their own way in fact,be it the neat'n tidy ones or the scruff ass approach.....
They ALL provide the perfect needs for that particular "owner" ;)

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
BTW, I'm currently sat in my Van in the middle of Dartmoor having a tea break,(working at a Reservoir near Tavistock),so can't provide pics of my personal set up,which is usually a cross between the Immaculate and the Bomb scenario, but when I get home I'll pop up a couple pics of my room.... Not the best by a long chalk,but suits my purpose :smiling3:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Here's mine, Taff. It's in the basement, a little damp and with a high window.
The main point, IMHO, is that a workbench is a living project continuously adapting to the owner's needs and tastes, so no need to look for the ultimate solution, there isn't one.;)
In its very early days 2 years ago :thinking:
IMG_6246.JPG

and as it is now :nerd:

IMG_0778.JPG
Almost everything from Ikea: cheap, easy to assemble (we are modellers, after all :tongue-out3:) and in case of disaster not a great loss and probably you'll still find the exact spare part.:money-face:
... and no, I get no money from Sweden :tongue-out::smiling5:.
I'm available for any question.

Andrea

Andrea

D

Deleted member 9328

Here's mine, Taff. It's in the basement, a little damp and with a high window.
The main point, IMHO, is that a workbench is a living project continuously adapting to the owner's needs and tastes, so no need to look for the ultimate solution, there isn't one.;)
In its very early days 2 years ago :thinking:
View attachment 461114

and as it is now :nerd:

View attachment 461113
Almost everything from Ikea: cheap, easy to assemble (we are modellers, after all :tongue-out3:) and in case of disaster not a great loss and probably you'll still find the exact spare part.:money-face:
... and no, I get no money from Sweden :tongue-out::smiling5:.
I'm available for any question.

Andrea

Andrea
Thanks - some great ideas already. Thanks for posting!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There's a thread for this somewhere else. But, as benches are very organic and changing in nature, it might be a laugh to have a look at them again. And by pure luck, I've just tidied and cleaned mine - I even vacuumed the carpet. Feeling smug...............

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Taff
That second link of Tim's is a very entertaining and useful read. Lots of ideas and lots of humour. Kinda sums up this forum serious modelling along with plenty of good natured banter.
Here is my set up.
P1060854.JPG

P1060857.JPG

These photos were taken when I put up the white Ikea units so all clean and tidy, although I tend to be a bit OCD anyway about tidiness in general - drives the wife crazy at times. Bear in mind that up to a point your workspace doesn't determine the quality of your modelling. There are many who work in tiny spaces or work in what resembles a bomb site and yet still produce award winning models. Patience, experience, determination and skill count for much more.
The stash and books are in another room.
Jim

zuludog

SMF Supporter
Sorry, but I haven't yet learned how to post pictures; but here we go -

A friend worked for a building society. A few years ago they modernised and changed the old computers with large cathode ray screens to flat screens, and threw out all the old desks with the recessed desk top, and I scrounged one

It is all steel with 3 drawers, so it's quite strong
I removed the original top and replaced it with a sheet of plywood
At about the same time one of my neighbours was having a new kitchen, and I scrounged the old worktops and fitted the best pieces on top of the plywood
The worktops are a very pale grey mottle, so it doesn't look too bad at all
Size is 135cm X 52cm

The desk drawers take all the tools, paint etc, and my unmade stash are in one of the old kitchen cabinets
I have a couple of Anglepoise lamps that I've had for years, fitted with Wilco 810 lm 60w equivalent daylight bulbs
For a work surface for model making I use the glass oven door from an old cooker

I use the desk for other hobbies - knife making & leatherwork - so I keep everything fairly tidy & organised

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Bear in mind that up to a point your workspace doesn't determine the quality of your modelling.
Jim, I'm borrowing that sentence, but modifying it thus,
Bear in mind that up to a point your workspace DOES determined the quality of you modelling. I'll be using this in an attempt to stop the wife dumping more junk in my room. Honestly, if there's a flat surface, she'll dump something on it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jim, I'm borrowing that sentence, but modifying it thus,
Bear in mind that up to a point your workspace DOES determined the quality of you modelling. I'll be using this in an attempt to stop the wife dumping more junk in my room. Honestly, if there's a flat surface, she'll dump something on it.
Don’t leave any flat surfaces then Colin…..

D

Deleted member 9328

Hi Taff
That second link of Tim's is a very entertaining and useful read. Lots of ideas and lots of humour. Kinda sums up this forum serious modelling along with plenty of good natured banter.
Here is my set up.
View attachment 461123

View attachment 461125

These photos were taken when I put up the white Ikea units so all clean and tidy, although I tend to be a bit OCD anyway about tidiness in general - drives the wife crazy at times. Bear in mind that up to a point your workspace doesn't determine the quality of your modelling. There are many who work in tiny spaces or work in what resembles a bomb site and yet still produce award winning models. Patience, experience, determination and skill count for much more.
The stash and books are in another room.
Jim
Nice setup Jim...lots of nooks and crannies.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I bought an old gate-leg dining table from our Local Round Table Furniture sale ( it was a 50's thin veneered monstrosity ) This has lasted me very well so far, and obviously I don't worry about paint spills & the occasional accidentally drilled hole! I live in a flat, have a spare room, so the ambient temperature & humidity is the same as the rest of the flat. You have to aware of not causing a long pervading odour - which is why I moved to acrylics & can run the airbrush without getting an aftertaste in my food. Good strong lights - pedestal lights with daylight bulbs. A comfortable chair. As a luxury touch, I have my computer in there as well, so I can listen to Spotify whilst being creative!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There's a thread for this somewhere else. But, as benches are very organic and changing in nature, it might be a laugh to have a look at them again. And by pure luck, I've just tidied and cleaned mine - I even vacuumed the carpet. Feeling smug...............
OH how could you Colin, letting the side down.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Completely agree Colin,
As a NOSEY BUGGER inquisitive kinda chap,i do like to see what others have arranged for themselves :thumb2: ......
..... also,i DO love to zoom in on the pics and try to see what they have in their stash,if some of it`s on view,not because i want to pinch their ideas,(My stash is big enough as it is!!:flushed:),no,it`s just because i find it interesting to see what we all go for:hugging-face: .
Cheers,
Mr Snoop,in Devon!!