Ye olde Tamiya Jagdpanzer IV L/70

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good to see the old Lang being updated Paul. I too get nervous near the finish line as the painting either compliments or destroys the hard work put in. Don't worry too much, I think its going to look good. Most armour do unless its in pink, yellow, purple or blue. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Wabble

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi guys. Hopefully will be back soon. I was hovering floor last week when I heard the unmistakable rattle of plastic/metal disappearing up the hose. I thought to myself ‘hah! No hiding for you guys’ but then had some doubts.
Anyway a few days later I dropped some tins of paints I was sorting that went under a little trolley I have.
Whilst gathering up the pots I discovered some plastic. Scraps? I thought. On closer inspection I realised with horror it was the tattered remains of the scratch built gun lock i painstakingly built over several hours :surprised: :tears-of-joy:I swore! :angry:Then quietly reflected on this incident. Obviously I feel very deflated but I can rebuild the ‘lost’ parts.
Sometimes we get hit by these little modelling hiccups. See you all very soon with hopefully some more progress:nerd::thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
Some nice scratchery, the improved gun crutch looks very good.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Just another quick update:

I really wanted to do some painting but I’ve had so much deliberation with my sources, inaccuracies to deal with and some brute hacking and slashing. I must commend Tamiya for their past efforts - back in the day they were light years ahead and one of the only brands to go to - as Airfix back then looked like it had been moulded from clay (Aside from their now very dated 1/24 aircraft)

I digress. I still have a little more to do before the paint starts spraying. Many of the tools are completely wrong both in dimensions and placement. I managed to scrounge some parts from my spares.

IMG_3415.jpeg

You must excuse the unfinished look - some parts still need a little clean up. The tow pin was missing as was the coolant top and chain. The rear flaps were brutally hacked off because they were way too long, inaccurate and to make way for some replacement parts.

IMG_3416.jpeg
here you can see the spare track rail and some of the custom tools and their repositioning. It doesnt look much but I had to check up on a lot of contradictory sources: the track rail can be shorter, the spare antenna rods were way too short and the lug holes had to be filled in (many others as well) The starter crank was too short by far - I just added a bit on. You can make out the replacements. The spade is yet to be fitted - the kit one is way too short. I’ll be getting a new Jack from somewhere. The wrench on the front fender was for an earlier version so lug holes filled in.

The rear light (yet to go on) was also a PITA because even the scale drawings only show one type whereas Tamiya supply another. I was about to scratch the new type when I finally spotted the type supplied. These things were often knocked off in combat (as were the rear flaps)

Riveting now done.

The scissor scope will really make the profile a little more interesting. The exhaust muffler needs to be done right - my first attempt!:smiling6:
IMG_3421.jpegIMG_3420.jpeg

Thats it for now.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nice work, you’re clearly improving the kit a lot. The one thing I’m wondering about is why you don’t just take a more modern kit that’s more accurate already? :smiling3: Or perhaps you like the work you have to do here?

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Nice work, you’re clearly improving the kit a lot. The one thing I’m wondering about is why you don’t just take a more modern kit that’s more accurate already? :smiling3: Or perhaps you like the work you have to do here?
That’s a good question. I need the practice!

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Rick - hopefully will turn out alright:smiling6:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I need the practice!
That’s a good reason to do it like this, IMHO. Get the skills back and then buy a kit that already has everything :smiling3:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
onwards….

I was good to go for paint but decided to prime the fiddly tracks and do some more tweaking

rear fenders positioned with retraction springs - ejector marks to fill in but pretty much done. I have lost two tow holes so they need to be scratched. Not too difficult really just a pain with the time needed.

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3427.jpeg

and the spade holders and bracket

IMG_3430.jpeg

That will be it at least until the weekend. I want to do some interesting modulations and get a move on with the tracks and exhaust muffler. Some little bits will be done in the interim to add to w/end update.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Indeed it would be safer not have the shell bag fitted simply because it wasn’t. If I found any evidence at all you can rest assured that I would have weighed up my sources and fitted said item. As I am the author I get to call the shots on my build - which also means I bear any mistakes on my shoulders. That said I am always willing to listen to others or consider any contrary proposals as long as it’s not naysaying and it has at least some credibility even if it puts a spanner in the works.

Last edited:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have decided not to redo paint job. This has been a great experience in trying not to be random! In other words I didn’t want the paint scheme to seem contrived.

I still have a fair bit to do.

Wheels still need doing. Interior painting needs a little tweaking. Figures? Haven’t even started yet but they are going to be outside - although I do have an idea of what I want. Tracks - I can finish today

So here I give you first version of the ’ Speckled Mandalsbrot‘ scheme

IMG_3487.jpegIMG_3488.jpegIMG_3489.jpeg

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Superb job with the camo Paul, looks very neat anod tidy….are you using a paint mask system or free handing this scheme?

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Yep, very nice indeed,looks great.:cool:
I did a similar scheme on a Hetzer earlier this year using a kit supplied mask.
It's a very eye catching look imho :thumb2:

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Superb job with the camo Paul, looks very neat anod tidy….are you using a paint mask system or free handing this scheme?
Thank you Si. Afterwards I thought of using some stencil because my brush had an annoying out of place hair that was messing with my intended finish but I left it as is - all freehand. sometimes there can be a proclivity for over correction

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Yep, very nice indeed,looks great.:cool:
I did a similar scheme on a Hetzer earlier this year using a kit supplied mask.
It's a very eye catching look imho :thumb2:
Thanks Andy. Yes indeed - this was the scheme that I decided on some time back at the early stages of the build. It seems to be in the ‘family’ of ambush schemes.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Will need to rest up and reorg! The next steps need to be carefully planned whilst at the same time I will try to use the process to gain invaluable experience without messing up.
I plan on finishing the kit only and then providing the setting with a small narrative - There is something subtle yet radical that I want to try.
Then I want to store the kit and crack on with other builds. At some time all being reasonably well I want to move into diorama and figure painting. And then I have further uncharted territory in which I want to travel.

Magneto

Oberleutnant
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I meant ‘Thank you Rick’ :thumb2: