Zvezda 1/35 T-35

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

With a couple of aircraft under my belt it was time for some more armour. I got this as a Xmas pressie from Zoe along with the Lightning, so decided to crack it open, and immediately regretted it.

3WDSsnG.jpg

Looks like it had a hard life in the back of the couriers van as a few parts on the sprue were broken, and 3 of the return roller axles were smashed off the main hull. I managed to find 2 of them so they were glued back on. The broken sprue parts were still in their bags so managed to find and fix all of those.

Lots of bits to deal with, including 4 identical sprues of wheels & suspension. Oh joy.

E5no40k.jpg

The damaged hull

VP0Liir.jpg

As usual for Zvezda assembly started with some subs. This time it was these grilles, covers and hatches for the engine cover. The exhausts were just flat with instructions to paint the outlet black, but I hollowed them out the best I could. Might try a bit more now they are fixed in place and easier to handle.

vSoYAAl.jpg

The support for the main turret needed a bit of persuasion and some filler. Will sand that down once it's gone hard and might need to add a bit more

OiOxQiH.jpg

There were plenty of weld beads moulded into this section so where the parts didn't quite meet I added some tiny styrene rod which I'll "sculpt" later, but it tidies the joint up nicely. Sorry about the awful picture!

dd7qfMc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Dave, I remember you giving me a similar warning when I built the T-28.

Any other major hiccups that spring to mind with this kit?

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I'm looking in, tea and biscuits I hope, not been fed since tea time...

• Haha
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
At least they gave you a tub hull Andy, the KV and the SU 100 had a 3 part hull and the KV was warped.
Will take a seat .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Always wanted to do a T35 don't know bout a Zvezda kit though, Good luck with it.

Jim

D

Deleted member 7181

Good to have you all here, I'll see what the missus can rustle up in the way of refreshments.

• Wow

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Zvezda T-35 was new tooling in 2016, it's detailed & fits together well & looks impressive when built. Recent Zvezda kits have been on a par with Far East makers, they suffer from memories of past simple clunky models. Their 1/48 & 1/72 aircraft models are very good & their modern 1/35 Russian AFVs are superb ( having made the Armata, the T-90, Tiger Kornet ).
There aren't any surprises in assembly, I remember the plates that support the side skirts being a bit fiddly, but that's it, the link & length tracks fitted VERY well hull basecoat 02.jpg
All that running gear is sadly hidden by the side skirts! Andy, hope you don't mind me slipping in a picture of my build................
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Welcome Ian.

No problem at all with the picture Dave, and thanks for the info.

The T-28 was similar, lots of detail in the running gear that got completely hidden.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The Russians are coming!! What a beast of a machine!! Will sit with the rest of the rabble. Got the heater on in the shed yet? :smiling5:

D

Deleted member 7181

Glacially slow progress on this by my standards, but we're still moving forward. Much of the time has been taken up with minor adjustments to the fit and filling/sanding. It's not that the fit is in any way poor, I'm just going a little further than maybe I need to, reminding myself it's the process, rather than reaching the finish line, that this hobby is all about.

Anyway, enough flannel.

The guns and mantle for the medium turrets went together. Lots of small detail parts on the inside which will never bee seen as the hatches will be closed, hence me not bothering to fill the joints. They will get painted though.

mC6D4bG.jpg

Hard to pick out in the photo but the hatches were moulded as one with a shallow groove between them, as seen on the left. I deepened this groove almost all the way through so it's more in keeping with the outer panel gaps (the one on the right).

7vGVP9s.jpg

And with everything together. The barrels are just dry fitted for now to make painting easier. They are made up of 3 "rods", so no seam line down the middle, but they needed the mould parting line cleaning up and a bit of filler between each section. The muzzle end was moulded with a decent depression, but I drilled it out much further. The gap around the mantle still needs attention.

oAKHD8Z.jpg

And the small turrets. As with my T-28 I'll be fitting the MG's from the inside once painted. Again, hard to see in the picture but a few hours of sanding and filling were lavished on each of these to get the fit just right, and the exposed edges of the plates were finished with a very course grit sandpaper to give the flame cut look. Hatches still need a bit of work here to get them to sit down correctly.

Cnwkh0z.jpg

Fitted these bits to either side of the main turret support structure. They look like some form of fuel or oil tank and have what appears to be a jack fitted to them. I also added some of the tools, which I'm sure I'm going to regret when I get around to painting.

vMgEmk2.jpg

And a quick dry fit of everything I've done so far.

bxyf14H.jpg

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Mr. (rivet) Jones is correct. This thing is a Beast. Nice progress so far and I have moved to the back row by the door as JR keeps drooling on my shoes and making audible grunting sounds while flicking his Bic.:sick: Posted myself as Corona Virus watch...

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul & Rick.

As usual I'm at that point of what to add, what not to add, when to start painting, what won't I be able to reach later, that kind of thing. I'm hoping all that will become clearer as I get more builds under my belt as it's been a real head-scratcher up to now.