Zvezda 1/35 T-35

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes, some people seem to be getting all excited about the new MIG shaders for example. When you get down to it they are just paints with less pigment, making them translucent. Why not just add a drop of paint to some matt medium and save yourself the bother?
Bit like those oilers Andy, I bought a few, seem ok but could have stuck with the W&N oils.

D

Deleted member 7181

If I make it on Sunday you'll have to let me look at your recipe book Paul :smiling3:

I agree John. I figured they'd be more convenient and less messy, but the more I use them the less of each I find them. I don't use the included brush as it's too big for most things, and they get gummed up around the lid quickly too.

D

Deleted member 7181

I started off the weathering work with a dark brown enamel wash. Surprisingly for me nothing fell off so I must have been more cautious than usual lol. I streaked, cleaned up and blended it before it was fully dry.

I also did some splattering with the AB turned down really low, and added a bit of extra shading/shadows around the rivet lines and panel joints. Seems a bit over-done right now, especially on camera, but I'm hoping it'll tone down once I start splashing oils & mud around. Did some work on the tools too, then it had a good coat of matt varnish to seal it all in.

P6lMSxw.jpg

rM44yPb.jpg

XHTy3ux.jpg

Shortly after these pictures as I was moving it into the house to dry in the warm, I dropped the main turret, breaking the antenna and damaging the barrel. Smashing!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I hope you manage to sort out the damage Andy as this is a cracking build. We have all done it and have some sorry tales to tell.

It really have done some nice work on the tools. Let us know how you get on

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When you analyse the products, you probably have most of the components sitting on your bench, or already in your kitchen/garage/garden. The only advantage would be that they are ready made in a bottle.
That was pretty much my first thought when manufacturers began selling pre-made washes, and I can’t say my attitude towards them has changed markedly since.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Steve. Antenna is nailed back on, and almost straight lol, so that's a bonus.

Main barrel might end up a little shorter than intended after surgery, but at least it's fixable.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steven. Found another small bit of damage this morning but again, it's fixable.

D

Deleted member 7181

Just checking back in with this one. No real progress as I got stuck into my Lancaster build and have been mad busy at work, but I had a parcel arrive today which should help kick start it again:

0YzSQ4G.jpg

The cheap craft shop oils I have go grainy & powdery when thinned, and just tend to smudge or wipe off rather than blend, so I used some of my overtime money to get a selection of these. I also got a bottle of the Zest it solvent that Steve recommended in one of his videos as even the smell of so-called odourless thinner makes me heave :sick:

D

Deleted member 7181

It sure smells better than the stuff I have!

Just need to figure out what to do with the oils now lol. I'm staring at it wondering where to start :smiling5:

First Name
Wouter
Wow, that's already some popping paintwork mate. Sorry to read you dropped the turret but good show on fixing it! Oils are well investing in, I couldn't do without anymore. They're so useful for weathering.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Wouter, although I'm definitely at the stage I wanted to avoid - "all the gear, no idea" :smiling5:

I'm now pretty well equipped with various lotions & potions but lack the imagination to use them lol. Hopefully inspiration will strike soon.