• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Andy
looking good this one. Nice restrained chipping and good variety in the 4BO. The model is coming along well and will be very impressive when finished.
Your pictures are overexposed because you are using a dark grey background. The camera tried to make this a mid grey so overexposed the images and blew out the highlights. Try a lighter background, but don’t go for white or you’ll end up with underexposed images for the same reason. Other tips are use something to hold the camera steady, switch off the flash (which can also blow the highlights if you’re too close) and unless you have a remote release, use the self timer. Should bring them closer to what you’re looking for.... ;)

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Andy,
have you tried the liquid mask method of chipping? The video is by Vallejo, but I don't see why any other brand of masking fluid shouldn't work

I've seen that video thanks Dave, if it's the rusty Beetle one as it appears, but not tried that method yet. I've even seen people using Marmite for chipping! :flushed:

The only point I would make is that the chips need to be on the edge as well as near the edge.

Thanks Jim, and I totally agree. That's what I was trying to achieve but the more I tried to chip the paint at the edges, the more "inboard" the chips spread. At least if I go back to painting them on I can put them (more or less) where I want, rather than hoping they appear in the right spot.

Hi Andy
looking good this one. Nice restrained chipping and good variety in the 4BO. The model is coming along well and will be very impressive when finished.
Your pictures are overexposed because you are using a dark grey background. The camera tried to make this a mid grey so overexposed the images and blew out the highlights. Try a lighter background, but don’t go for white or you’ll end up with underexposed images for the same reason. Other tips are use something to hold the camera steady, switch off the flash (which can also blow the highlights if you’re too close) and unless you have a remote release, use the self timer. Should bring them closer to what you’re looking for.... ;)

Thanks Tim. I'm using a phone as getting pictures to my PC then onto Instagram is a real pain from my ageing camera. I do have a phone adapter for my tripod so might try that, and I always have the flash off so that's one thing I must be doing right. I have just tried a few pictures back on my old grey tiles and they did indeed seem to come out better exposed, so thanks again, that's something to work on.

Here's how she stands at the minute, with all the basic colours on the tools & equipment. A few touch ups are needed here and there but it's basically ready for weathering and oil work. I'll try and see this one to a finish rather than leaving on the shelf of doom with all my other part-weathered projects :rolling:

r1s8GRq.jpg

DHAgiGT.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks good now, the top picture really pops off the background.....

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy that looks very good. Is that a star on the turret that is still masked or a moulding?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
To be honest Andy, any colour will do as long as it’s a mid tone. A desaturated mid red would make this build really pop....for example...

D

Deleted member 7181

You know Tim, I'm sure we've had this conversation before. I remember you pointing out how the red makes the figure in your avatar pop. I clearly wasn't paying enough attention last time or just didn't learn my lesson :smiling5:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW what a beast those russian tanks were HUUGE .... your work is neat and stunning.. :smiling3:

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Greg, time to mess her up a bit with some weathering.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This one is turning out very nice Andy, such a large vehicle too. I like the paintwork so far :thumb2:
Steven

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
Just caught up - cracking build.
Mike.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy

Really nice result on this build. I am taking notes for my Su 122. I do like your paint job.

John

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There we all approve Andy, I think it's really good, just the right amount of chipping, so easy to over do. Looking fwd to the weathering.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks for the comments and support everyone.

I've just watched the latest video by Scale War Machines and counted 19 different steps in his weathering process :anguished: I doubt I'll be going that far, and don't have half of the products he used anyway, but will hopefully fudge something together that looks ok.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
I've seen similar 'tutorial' videos, and I wonder how many are sponsored by the makers - like with free samples. When you analyse the products, you probably have most of the components sitting on your bench, or already in your kitchen/garage/garden. The only advantage would be that they are ready made in a bottle. Do a bit of 'home brew', and I bet you can duplicate 99% of the effects!
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, some people seem to be getting all excited about the new MIG shaders for example. When you get down to it they are just paints with less pigment, making them translucent. Why not just add a drop of paint to some matt medium and save yourself the bother?