1/35 KV1

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
i'm on the sidelines watching this one - bet you weaken and find a way to incorporate a building on the base...

Peter
Hi Peter, thank you for joining in. No building planned ..... yet , really wanted a wind swept track in marsh land.
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all .
I've broken these posting down as if you do a long one some of the replies get lost, unless the viewer clicks on " show more thingy " :confused:

Having to admit I spent most of this morning while some of brave chaps were out working asleep, ! Trouble is I search U tube at night for history and other modelling post. So many good ones out their, at times better than buying a book on the subject.

The KV is not my best attempt at modelling I feel , my fingers are too clumsy and the thin sections of this kit just break off, even though I was using the saw to remove bits from the sprue. The other annoying thing is the glue, you guys seem to be able to show such clean builds. Try as I do getting parts to glue with a small brush used , just doesn't work for me, so I end up putting rather a lot on. Ok most of the surface will get covered one way or the other so its not the end of the world , but It would be nice one day to do a clean build.

So moving on here are some photos, the first show the collection of figures that I seem to have amassed, using one or two here and there has left me with a lot of seperate ones. So following Richard I shall attempt to make up a couple of Germans emerging from their wet and cold lake/ river .
I have a set of Russian troops in full winter kit, but need a couple of guys in the tank, a driver peering out of his hatch and the commander up in the turett . So should be able to find something to cobble together.

Some nice Hornet heads, just hope they will look ok on some of of the torsos they don't always look to scale'

Next a group that look like they may be part of it.
Have a few hats to go through to see if they will be ok .

As only the upper halves will show I think these will do
Have a few hats to go through to see if they will be ok .

Right any purists please leave the room !329122
Had a little trouble getting the two halves together , I see tonight when I was fitting some towing eyes the front plate is not fully down, and the turret has a few glaring gaps that mice could get through.
Notice the filler in the center wheels, the cap short into the air and is some where in a pile of of stuff on a side chest of drawers. Oh the machine gun mount fell off !!! when I was discussing with the turret if it was going to fit or play games, it chose the later so the thing is now glued on ! the turret that is .

At this point I don't know if to attempt the Fruil tracks or keep them for another build, they will fit a SU Few more odd and sods pieces to fit tomorrow.

Thanks for following , comments as usual , but please be frank .

aJohn.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
I also use a fibre glass pen to clean up glue marks. I am sure things aren't really bad. Looks fine on the photo.
Jim

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
I also use a fibre glass pen to clean up glue marks. I am sure things aren't really bad. Looks fine on the photo.
Jim
Thanks Jim ..... The front looks like someone threw the glue over it !
Hi John,
I reccomend getting a fibreglass pencil/brush I find it invaluble in removing excess glue and fingerprints without removing too much detail.
regards Jim
j
Hi Jim, I think I have one in my heap ! Will check tomorrow .Thank you .

John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, just invoke the 2 ft. rule. Step back 2 feet and see how it looks! TA DA! No worry mate!
If you got 'em already use the Fruils. Nothing makes a Russian tank like a set of saggy baggy tracks.:tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks all right to me too John.
Thanks Peter , very kind of you
JR, just invoke the 2 ft. rule. Step back 2 feet and see how it looks! TA DA! No worry mate!
If you got 'em already use the Fruils. Nothing makes a Russian tank like a set of saggy baggy tracks.:tongue-out3:
Cheers, Rick H.
Cheers Rick, I go for the10 ft rule :smiling: as for the tracks , they do look so good , making me feel guilty now even thinking not to use them :nerd::smiling3:.
John .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
John, you're not building a Lunar Module that's dust free for crying out loud...it's a tank, the grubbier it is the better. I don't see anything wrong with your KV1 except for the missing hub where a well placed heap of mud will take care of it. I've not done a Fruil so if you make it look easy I'll get a set and go for it too. :smiling2: Go ahead use it.

BTW it looks ok and good for the next stage...who's Frank?

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, you're not building a Lunar Module that's dust free for crying out loud...it's a tank, the grubbier it is the better. I don't see anything wrong with your KV1 except for the missing hub where a well placed heap of mud will take care of it. I've not done a Fruil so if you make it look easy I'll get a set and go for it too. :smiling2: Go ahead use it.

BTW it looks ok and good for the next stage...who's Frank?

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Richard, thanks , I know but everyone seems to build glue free models . Me finding Fruil easy is about as much chance of winning the Lottery ! As for Frank he was being so ! :smiling:
John :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Morning Boss,

Im another that uses a fibre glass pencil thingy if I need to tidy up messy glue.
I dry fit a lot before even thinking about glue , but still make a mess:smiling5:

I really wouldn’t worry too much mate, there’s also fire :smiling4:

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Never heard of a fibre glass pen so I will look that one up when I get home.

Listen to the wise words of our sage Richard. The reason they developed pigments was to cover up our mistakes. I know the mojo takes a kicking when it happens but once those friuls are on it will look the DB's.

As for Frank wasn't he the guy who found Sid and sold him some B Gas shares???

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Boss,

Im another that uses a fibre glass pencil thingy if I need to tidy up messy glue.
I dry fit a lot before even thinking about glue , but still make a mess:smiling5:

I really wouldn’t worry too much mate, there’s also fire :smiling4:
Morning Si ..... seeing it again this morning it looks a lot better, probably spent to long looking at it.
As to the suggestion of fire, who me. :fearful: mind you that had crossed my mind lol. Cheers mate.
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Never heard of a fibre glass pen so I will look that one up when I get home.

Listen to the wise words of our sage Richard. The reason they developed pigments was to cover up our mistakes. I know the mojo takes a kicking when it happens but once those friuls are on it will look the DB's.

As for Frank wasn't he the guy who found Sid and sold him some B Gas shares???
You are quite right Steve, I have found my pen , I remember Andy Smith had recommended it. Do you know where he is hiding ?
About to start them after a cup of tea, I was up this morning at 07.30 !!!!! .:upside:
JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Fibre glass pens - be careful when using these - I use a surgical glove! The fine glass particles cause extreme irritation to my hands ( think of nettle rash ). It may be just my sensitivity, but be aware. They are VERY useful, though!
Dave

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fibre glass pens - be careful when using these - I use a surgical glove! The fine glass particles cause extreme irritation to my hands ( think of nettle rash ). It may be just my sensitivity, but be aware. They are VERY useful, though!
Dave
Thanks Dave. Good point.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another late start then mate. You need to get back to those 4.00 starts. Now where did I put your number??

As for Smiffy sadly we have drifted apart and I can't get hold of him. I'm sure he will pop in and say hello one day.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Another late start then mate. You need to get back to those 4.00 starts. Now where did I put your number??

As for Smiffy sadly we have drifted apart and I can't get hold of him. I'm sure he will pop in and say hello one day.
Oh I'll send it again. :smiling:.
I haven't heard from Andy since he left MM. Don't really remember why, a great pity as I found him to be a great guy. Even went out of his way to meet us at the Station and took us home to meet his lovely wife, and Mort , then on to the hotel Torquay
John .