1/35 KV1

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good JR, are those floor sweepings I spy under the fenders and on the lower hull of the KV? Now we know where the Missus dumps the Hoover bag when it's full!:tongue-out2:
Cheers Mate, Rick H.
Ha, floorsweepings indeed !:smiling2::smiling3::nerd: no Rick some Vallejo mud, thought It was over priced as my garden siol mixed with some of the pva primer was the same colour !
John,
Looking good mate.
Thanks Paul, hope it will pass muster with the oils. :surprised:
Evening mate,

Smashing work on the KV, it looks great. I bet making them franken-figures for the PZ1 was fun:smiling4:

I don’t think you can wrong with trying some new techniques and I think oils are quite forgiving, you get plenty of fiddling about time:thumb2:
Thanks Si, those figures did induce some colorful language, as the two surfaces did quite mate, and one arm keep falling off ! Looking fwd to the oils .
Everything is looking good I like the tracks John and looking forward to the figs.
Thanks Lee. Started on the Russians today, 3 or 4 troops in full white that would have been riders. Another two crew, one will be the driver standing up on his seat so he can get a look at the Germans, and the commander up in the turret.
John microscale has a old decal restoration product that be used with success in the past.. just brush it over the old decals, let it set up and you’re ready to go
Hi Joe, wish I'd had some of that in stock, I couldn't believe it when the decals just stated to break up, ! Might get a bottle of the restorer. Need to read up on that, thanks for the mention.
Just had a catch up with this JR, some great work without resorting to flames :smiling:, look forward to the next catch up
Mick, no no don't encourage me, I could have had the Panzer on fire ! But I managed to resist all ,and settled for the ice ! :smiling3:
Good luck with the oils. Remember a little goes a long way and go easy with the thinners.:thumb2::cool:
Thanks Steve, didn't check the side of the spray booth, ordered a new bottle of Daler Rowney Low Odour Thinner 500ml. Only to find I already had two thirds of a bottle ! Nearly bought some Vallejo metal colour Gloss Varnish as it said it was very hard wearing , but put off by the price. ! Have you heard of it ?
I like “B” also but it’s your choice
Thanks Lee, B is was although A was a nearly right , just a half a link would have been perfect .
Neat painting of the KV John, looking forward to see it all weathered and oiled.:smiling::thumb2:

Nice figs for the Pz.1 too, Руки вверх, Сукре, давай же!:smiling5:
:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: love it Fernando thanks . Get em up ! :smiling2:
John .

Been going from the base and the figures, both Tanks have had several coats of Satin Varnish. I have some Gloss on order which should be here Monday. Might give them a coat of the gloss to help the oils flow better .

A suppriseing thing happened with some garden soil and the pva primer. The soil had been through the mircowave and was sieved, so nothing alive inside, the pva was poured into a plastic tub and the soil mixed in. Then it turned Purpel !!!
Suddenly I remembered years ago I'd had some coloured varnish that had turned that colour when mixed and applied to some timber. I'd rung the company in panic to ask why, only to be told oh that happens , when it dries the colour will be fine ! So it was, so leaving this for a couple of hrs in returned to it's normal colour. So if this happens to your soil when mixed with pva don't panic !!
A few more figures built to day, bit slow as we have been in the garden as the weather has been so good .

Thanks for the comments .
John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
While this recent weather being so fantastic we have enjoyed the garden, with some cleaning up.
The bench was not left entirely alone.
Several coats of satin varnish have been applied and yesterday a bottle of Vallejo turned up, so a good coat of gloss. Don't know what it was intended for as it needed two hrs to dry, more like one of their craft products, but was very fine and has done the job.

Tracks came out well , notice the radio aerial, donated by Fudge my mates cat, I should point out and neither the cat or my mate were injured mentally or physically in obtaining it.:smiling3::smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

I noticed yesterday that the head light had gone off on its own, a search has found nothing, so using a headlamp from a Hobbyboss Gaz AAA truck which had proved to hard for me a use has been found, in fact it looks remarkably like the correct one.:surprised:
When the lamp has dried fully overnight I shall start doing this oil effect.Just hope I don't over do it and mess it all up.

Any tips more than welcome.
John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Well I must say the KV is looking the cats wiskers, the fruils came up lovely:thumb2:
...But the poor old Panzer I has seen better days, there goes the no claims bonus :tongue-out3:
Hope you get on ok with the oils....Mr Jones is the man for info on that front.

Keep it coming mate:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Si , just lost my posting on the dio , !! dam and other words, yes and Steve is on holiday !!
Evening John,
Well I must say the KV is looking the cats wiskers, the fruils came up lovely:thumb2:
...But the poor old Panzer I has seen better days, there goes the no claims bonus :tongue-out3:
Hope you get on ok with the oils....Mr Jones is the man for info on that front.

Keep it coming mate:thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR you should be proud of yourself, those both look the bomb! Out in the garden you say? Those ditching timbers look mighty green. Did the Missus tie those on your fenders to haul away?:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3: I'll get my coat...
Cheers Mate, Rick H. P.S. We have been up to our "Bunnies in snow"!331334

• Haha

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
JR you should be proud of yourself, those both look the bomb! Out in the garden you say? Those ditching timbers look mighty green. Did the Missus tie those on your fenders to haul away?:tongue-out::tongue-out2::tongue-out3: I'll get my coat...
Cheers Mate, Rick H. P.S. We have been up to our "Bunnies in snow"!View attachment 331334
Rick, cheers buddy, :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:, no snow here, just temp in the 60s f and sun ! . That green I suspect is the reflection of the green paint with the super sprayed varnish !
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Here goes my first effort of oils on the Panzer. no bull just say what you think, its the only way.

I've not touched the tracks. I used raw umber, black and burnt umber, along with a few dots of yellow and blue to give a greenish look , see above the side of the turret.

Now the KV1, no oils on here yet but a washable camo , sprayed it on over some Precision Ice and Snow camo where I had used a brush. Left to dry for a good 4 hrs this is the result with a brush and clean water, again say what you think .
Off for some tea.
John.

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
My main question is: why does the Pz.Kpfw. II have a motorcycle registration plate on its front armour?

Anyway, if the idea is to make the tank look dirty, then I think you’ve succeeded pretty well. The KV looks like someone painted the real tank with a broom or a rag, which, if that was the intention, means it worked :smiling3:

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
SUPERB WEATHERING.... love it...

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Neat work on the mud on the Pz.1 John, really looks like it fell in there.:tongue-out3:

Whitewash on the KV is suitably rough too.:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
My main question is: why does the Pz.Kpfw. II have a motorcycle registration plate on its front armour?

Anyway, if the idea is to make the tank look dirty, then I think you’ve succeeded pretty well. The KV looks like someone painted the real tank with a broom or a rag, which, if that was the intention, means it worked :smiling3:
Oh the No plate, well as the real decals fell apart I took a bit of licence and put a couple of 1/48 Kettenkrad no's on :smiling3:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
It works for me. They have a real beaten up look.
Thanks Paul.
SUPERB WEATHERING.... love it...
Great Greg cheers .
Neat work on the mud on the Pz.1 John, really looks like it fell in there.:tongue-out3:

Whitewash on the KV is suitably rough too.:thumb2:
Thanks Fernando .

Have no idea how long to wait until I can spray it again with some varnish , when it's dry, but how long is that !!
Thanks guys,.
John .

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Great work on the little Panzer John, nice and gritty just as I like it:thumb2:

Cheers, Jim.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work on the little Panzer John, nice and gritty just as I like it:thumb2:

Cheers, Jim.
Cheers Jim, think you must have influenced me esp with the hull mud. I used some Vallejo I had , certainly had that grit in it .John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening fans of oil and snow.
Leaving the Panzer to dry I started on the KV.
Once 2 coats of satin varnish had been applied and dried I set to with the oils. Love it when the pin washes flows into the seams, quite satisfying. :nerd:

Any way here are some photos.

Notice the scattered grass on the bottom run ? well I was thinking as the beast trundled along it would did up the grass and road, so I want to show a little under the oncoming snow. With luck it may start next week .

Once again comments, any thing that's wrong , or you better models think I should change please say. Thank goodness Steve is on holiday. :smiling2::smiling2::smiling:
Thanks

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening John,
Well I must say it’s all coming together very well...KV looks superb in its white wash :thumb2: