1/35 Scale Shadow box Dinner on the front line from Miniart.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great details. Wow, a samovar, tea w/a punch, lovely. PaulE
Hi Paul, thanks , and yes needed no doubt in a cold winter.

Never had a Yorkshire Tea JR.........Me daughter has a Yorky Though.......Make mine a "Double"! ;)
Rick have you been at the Vodka again ? :smiling3:.

Excellent start John. I am very much looking forward to what you do with this one. I am sure it will be great.

John
Thanks John, what do you think about a cross section view including some earth and trees above the bunker ? Welcome your thoughts.

Looking mighty fine already John.

I too have my eye on this set for the future so will be great to see it come together.
Hi Andy, not a bad set, fiddley PE and a few thin sections for me , but don't think you would have any problems.:thumb2:

AN im in to John but PG TIPS for me (can you ride a tandam lol) an i see there is a fire goin so right up you street an im lookin forward to seeing how this turns out
chris

Good to see the banter has already started, and with 570 not far behind it will be fun. Yes there will be lights to give the impression of a flickering fire.

Watching, 453!

I've spotted the frying pan. Stuff the tea, I'm bringing some bacon. :hungry::hungry:

570 , Keep Calm , a cheap skate indeed :tongue-out3::smiling3: a larger frying pan is under design. Enough to hold all the bacon and eggs .
1612105747639.png
and hash browns, here is one in the kitchens of Race Towers.
Photo for illustration purposed only.

WELL 453 you have heard from me an 570 get a bigger fryin pan LOL
Chris

Chris Is the above bigger enough. :smiling3::nerd:.

I'm sticking with tea and vodka Martinis........"shaken, not stirred" of course.
As your wish my friend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With todays banter out of the way a few photos to wet your appetite, ( get it )

2020_13turned.jpg

2020_12 turned.jpg2020_10.jpg

I needed to work out the width and depth of the box, originally I had considered a hight of about 75/80 mm , but think this is rather small.
Now thinking about showing a more cross section so the viewer can see some ground above, with may be some trees with some flashing random lights indicating shell fire.

Thoughts please.

Dzhon.

Somewhere on the front line in the East c 1942.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

I think the idea of a cross section, with some above ground is a great one. You will just need to think about what sort of lighting to put above ground since I presume the whole thing will be enclosed in a box. On the other hand you could have the outdoor bit "outside the box"., with the bunker part only boxed in, although I like the sound of a sort of evening twilight outside and warm lamp light in the bunker. Whichever way you go the possibilities are endless.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

I think the idea of a cross section, with some above ground is a great one. You will just need to think about what sort of lighting to put above ground since I presume the whole thing will be enclosed in a box. On the other hand you could have the outdoor bit "outside the box"., with the bunker part only boxed in, although I like the sound of a sort of evening twilight outside and warm lamp light in the bunker. Whichever way you go the possibilities are endless.

John
Thanks John, i was thinking of keeping the whole scene inside the box. That way I can have the darkness of the box on the outdoor part. I 've drawn up a rough sketch with 80mm below ground, a depth of approx 34 mm would give 1.2 mtrs below ground, then 70 /80 mm above for trees. Would like more outside hight but don't want to detract from the bunker. 204 IN HIGHT AND THE 160 WIDE inner box. ?

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
LOOKIN GOOD 453 an the pan will just scrape in for size lol an im armed with me knife an fork like i bet 570 is lol

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I favor the cross section with everything inside the box......it would be more dramatic and you would have more options to get the lighting right. Just me thots..... :thinking: :thumb2:;)

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
LOOKIN GOOD 453 an the pan will just scrape in for size lol an im armed with me knife an fork like i bet 570 is lol
Was hoping you and 570 would appreciate that Chris. Imagine trying to lift it !

I favor the cross section with everything inside the box......it would be more dramatic and you would have more options to get the lighting right. Just me thots..... :thinking: :thumb2:;)
Thanks Rick, seems the best idea.
It's gonna be something superb....l can't wait
Thank Greg, might take a bit of time, can you find something to keep you busy :nerd:

Neat set and idea John, with your creativity we're in for a treat:smiling:
Fernando I shall try my best , thank you for that .

Great ideas! PaulE
Seems to have been accepted by all then Paul .

_________________________________________________________________________________

Have found a frame , just need to alter the mount. Somewhere in the cave is a mount cutter anda straight foam board cutter, yet to be located.
Can see that as tomorrow's task !
Thanks guys .
Dzhon .

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
It's a different kind of diorama, I'm in John, a samovar too, I'll avoid the Russian urn jokes.....

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Ideas flowing thick and fast. A very exciting project. I suppose you can only plan so much on advance - it will evolve as you get into the build.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great idea John. I have great expectations that this will be up to your usual standard.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's a different kind of diorama, I'm in John, a samovar too, I'll avoid the Russian urn jokes.....
Thank you Graeme, appreciate that ;)

Hi John
Ideas flowing thick and fast. A very exciting project. I suppose you can only plan so much on advance - it will evolve as you get into the build.
Jim
They are indeed Jim. I've cut a frame card to the size I need and got the foam board ready .
Tonight I drew up a exploded diagram showing how and where every thing board wise will be along with a rough lighting plan.
Going to be very different from a normal diorama, after the foam board walls etc are cut they will have to be finished off before any thing can be glued. A lot of forward planning will be needed to make sure I don't miss stages up. No doubt things will change as this moves along .

Great idea John. I have great expectations that this will be up to your usual standard.

ATB.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, kind of you to say.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

I don't know if this is too late, but I seem to remember that you are also a chippy, so this is not hard to knock up. I do suggest that you construct your shadow box a little like this so that you can insert the actual model and still remove it to adjust placement and lighting and so on. You will also have two lighting circuits in this design, one on the model itself and another attached to the box to give the outdoor ambient lighting.

shadow box.jpg

Of course feel free to ignore this completely if you have your own method.

John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John

I don't know if this is too late, but I seem to remember that you are also a chippy, so this is not hard to knock up. I do suggest that you construct your shadow box a little like this so that you can insert the actual model and still remove it to adjust placement and lighting and so on. You will also have two lighting circuits in this design, one on the model itself and another attached to the box to give the outdoor ambient lighting.

View attachment 412818

Of course feel free to ignore this completely if you have your own method.

John
Hi John, thanks for that, doing it the opposite way !! So somewhere near :smiling: Going to put it in from the back as these photos will show

2020.jpg

The mount had to be altered first, as in this photo, just widened 6mm all-round.

Then on to the foam board cutting, not using my preferred Kappa Line as the board will remain with paper faces on inside the diorama.

2020_2.jpg

Cutting the board is much easier using this Logan cutter and rail, having used panel cutting saws for years I like to use make thing easier.

With a sacrificial 5mm foam board underneath the take the point of the cutter the cut is soon made. I use two cuts, keeping the track help in place., not the off cuts to enable the cutter to start and have a run off.

2020_3.jpg

Started with the out box , its only taped up at the moment. I'll be putting a side hinge so access can be made to the batteries .

2020_4lighter.jpg

This frame will sit right on the base of outer frame for strength. when sitting on the table.

2020_5dhanged.jpg

Inner box made, again taped together at this point. It will have to be fully lined with the timbers and roof with all the internal parts fitted before its put together.

2020_8.jpg

This photo taken on the bench show the lower section where the bunker will be, the upper section set back will have a small amount of lightweight Sculpty mound and the front section a the hight of the set back line. This will give about 35 mm full depth of filler / soil over the roof. that equates to around 1200mm.

2020_9.jpg

The lower inserts are just to hold up the roof, all this will be marked up tomorrow , taken fully apart and construction of the internal walls , etc will start.

Now I can work out the lighting for the bunker , and the separate lights for the top , these will be flashing to simulate artillery fire.
Light for the stove and some hidden light behind some cross members for the oil lamps in both room. Back grounds above ground will have to be painted onto the paper face of the board.

Any comments or hints , suggestions always welcome.

Thanks for looking in.

Dzhon.

Attachments

• 2020_6colours.jpg
    2020_6colours.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 2