1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Richard
I’ve totally missed this thread.
Amazing work, I really love it. The repaint idea is genius and the whole diorama makes for a wonderfully busy and dynamic scene. All this and amazing details on the actual ships and docks - awesome.
Brilliant work my friend
Paul

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
I’ve totally missed this thread.
Amazing work, I really love it. The repaint idea is genius and the whole diorama makes for a wonderfully busy and dynamic scene. All this and amazing details on the actual ships and docks - awesome.
Brilliant work my friend
Paul
Thanks Paul, glad you like it. It's still ongoing with lots of figures to paint and add. I'm still thinking of adding float planes parked in the inner dock too.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, the flags are slowly being added to the ships one by one.
20220804_123404.jpg20220804_123206.jpg
Hope you can see the rigging...
20220804_135503.jpg
I mentioned about adding extra floatplanes at the dock and since I didn't show how I replace the thick plastic struts with makeshift PE railing bits like the ones on the Haruna catapult here...
20220804_123008.jpg
In the next post.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Here is the shot of the modified PE and PE propellers.
20220804_233449.jpg
I the prep'd the plane by shaving off extra plastic from the underside of the wings to thin it. Sliced off the plastic bit that connects the float and plane.
20220804_233458.jpg
Cleaned up any seamlines. I will sand off part of the bottom of the floats so they appear partly submerged on the water. More later when I start assembling.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Pure class from stem to stern. Top stuff Richard.
Superb work as always Richard. A real pleasure to follow your progress.
Thank you guys, very nice of you.
There was a pause yesterday having to shop for kitty litter and food...plus it was a cool rainy day so plonked myself in front of the idiot box for some documentaries on the Malayan campaign, Stirling and Mk5 Enfield as well as the SLR. Besides the Malayan campaign dio I was thinking of tinkering with the SLR into an Israeli version for one of my old dios.
Don't worry, I'll finish this before I get onto another dio.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I forgot to snap a shot of how I skewed the PE railing to slant forwards. Basically I held both ends with flat nosed pliers and pulled in opposite directions.
20220806_012807.jpg
Just only the center struts and propellers to go from here onwards.
20220806_012238.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Sorry Richard, but you are certifiably insane!!! Matron looked in and just shook her head and then left......She mumbled something about no hope for him too. As for my old eyes, this is absolutely wonderful work and it just gets better and better Sir!!! Keep it coming and always watch out for those door frames my friend....

Prost
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sorry Richard, but you are certifiably insane!!! Matron looked in and just shook her head and then left......She mumbled something about no hope for him too. As for my old eyes, this is absolutely wonderful work and it just gets better and better Sir!!! Keep it coming and always watch out for those door frames my friend....

Prost
Allen
Working with the straight jacket on is quite a challenge Allen...definitely a hopeless case as Matron sums it up I'm afraid. :smiling6:
Thanks and must rework and shift the door frames as they keep getting in the way.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Okay got one arm out of the straight jacket and managed to paint the little buggers not without dropping one and resticking the parts again. My fingers aren't what they used to be so had a little help from reverse tweezers and blutac.
20220807_025633.jpg
Dipping in Future next for decaling.

Cheers,
Richard

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I've got a half done 1/700 kgv and couldn't imagine how I would ever put railings and all the other details you've managed, great stuff!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sheer madness Richard!!!..................But look so good...............

Prost
Allen
I've got a half done 1/700 kgv and couldn't imagine how I would ever put railings and all the other details you've managed, great stuff!
Thanks guys,
There's a way to apply the PE railing on battleships. The deck components are separate so just invert them and trace the edges on a piece of paper and use that as a template to bend the PE railing if you want a long stretch to be done. Smaller areas you use a divider to measure the lengths and cut to size. Approach sections in sub assemblies and have frequent breaks in between. Treat it like a long project and you'll get it done.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Just did a wash to dirty the rather clean paint job before the dip in the Future bath..

20220807_122904.jpg
Good thing I did a lighter coat of paint as the Future varnish tends to darken colors.20220807_124915.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Amazing work on these "Oh so tiny" aeroplanes.
Madness, Richard. Complete madness, but excellent. :smiling: .
John.
I know and thanks Jim and John,
I just couldn't let this go 'cos hinamarus on dark backgrounds distinctly had white outlines so I scoured my stash for the right decals and replaced them...
20220808_111626.jpg
Had to go through the whole process of Future dipping, application and decal juice to lock it in. It's now waiting for a matt coat.

Cheers,
Richard