1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
Excellent additions mate.
Great work Richard. It is too easy to look at the photos and forget how very small these details are.
Jim
Very nice.
Thanks Guys, fun bit of diorama making is the adding of little interesting stuff. The relatively small size makes it even more fun as quite a lot of intricate details can be looked over.
Anyway heres a snapshot of the gunk I've put on...
20220603_115814.jpg20220603_120023.jpg
I think it should blend with the main wharf now. Photos of that era show Japanese ports as very unkempt and rusty, not the clean and pristine nature they are today.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Superb. That crane is huge.
Jim
Brilliant!
That really is excellent Richard!
Steve
Excellent!
Pete
Thank you kindly guys.
The hammerhead crane is quite a huge structure and very imposing. As mentioned I had just missed seeing the last one in the Southern Hemisphere in 2016 at Sydney harbour when it was taken down in 2015. It would have been a magnificent structure to have seen from the opposite banks of the Garden Island harbour.
These are the last images(For reference only)of it being prepared for dismantling....
IMG_0648.jpgHammerhead crane 2.jpg
Massive isn't it.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
When we lived in Scotland we visited Glasgow a few times. On the docks there is a huge crane called the Finnieston Crane. It is no longer in use but it is kept as a memorial to Glasgow's dockland history.One of its uses was to load steam locomotives for export around the world. Close up it was mind blowing.
1654327611918.png

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
When we lived in Scotland we visited Glasgow a few times. On the docks there is a huge crane called the Finnieston Crane. It is no longer in use but it is kept as a memorial to Glasgow's dockland history.One of its uses was to load steam locomotives for export around the world. Close up it was mind blowing.
View attachment 454816
Its good that it has been kept as a memorial. The one in Sydney was specially built to repair the British Empires large navy battleship turrets. Nowadays I don't think heavy steel is used to build navy ships.
In the weekend I added side walkways and railings to the top engine house on seeing them in the reference photos. Will snap a shot later but here is the IJN Matsu with her railings fitted. Once the CA is fully cured I'll paint in the hull colors...it's now in primer grey.
20220606_204636.jpg
Next to get railings is the auxiliary gun boat that's birthed at the wharf.
The Matsu looks a bit flat and bland so will do some highlights and rust detail with a bit of dark wash and stains. Let's see what a bit of Vallejo can do.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Made a little more progress by adding those walking ropes on the yardarms of the main masts...
20220718_011603.jpg
This is for the Haruna...
20220718_011829.jpg
...and the Matsu. They're still in the light blue plastic stretched sprue that I wound around wooden dowels and plunged into hot water, cut into half moons and applied with tet.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
As always Richard, your efforts take your builds to the next level......well done Sir!! :thumb2:
Thanks Rick, I have to make a fullstop with this level thingy as I tend to revisit my old builds when I learn a new solution to something I had wanted to do but didn't have the skills back then. This however delays my new projects and I end up with shelf queens. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks Rick, I have to make a fullstop with this level thingy as I tend to revisit my old builds when I learn a new solution to something I had wanted to do but didn't have the skills back then. This however delays my new projects and I end up with shelf queens. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard
Sokay.....finish 'em when you have the confidence to get a "Harmonious Outcome"..........the rest of us will just have to be patient. :smiling:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tonight I did some pin wash to the Haruna's hull and degausser. If I can recollect the degausser was made from thin stretched sprue and small tabs of plastic strip...I was just as mad then as I am now. Also added streaks and future to protect the water colour wash I used.
20220719_015401.jpg
All it needs now are grease and rust stains...perhaps some chipping too around the bow.
20220719_015411.jpg
I made some pulley attachments for stringing the flag rigging.
20220719_015430.jpg
I have some leftovers for more yardarms.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
After attaching the pulleys to the V-shaped yardarm I painted the reddish brown linoleum on the upper decks and then fitted the hi-powered binoculars made from stretched sprue. Finemolds have these along with AA guns but I made my crude ones.
20220719_174913.jpg20220719_174904.jpg

Cheers,
Richard