1/72 scale.....Scratch building the Hospital, Rorke's Drift, circa 23rd January 1879.

D

Deleted member 6559

Really nice work Ron. Good to see that you've gone for the actual, rather than film building. I never understood why they included internal corridors in the film, when they still had Hook and Co. breaking through the walls (apparently because Zulus had got into the corridors!).

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great posts gents. Thank you

Foul wet weather all day here, so I've pushed on very nicely with the build.

The Hospital roof caught fire very early in the Battle and lit up the scene for a fair old time during the early part of the night.
Just how much of the roof was actually destroyed I don't know, so keeping in tune with my usual model making creed, a right or wrong its my build nonsense, I'm playing safe and doing a partially burned out one. This offers me the bonus of a bit more fun varying the roof construction.

Here is the initial cardboard 'Underlay'. This will give me something solid to work the thatch on. The open space in the middle is obviously where the fire has done its damage.

All loose fitted for now.
P1210528.JPG

P1210529.JPG

Sweaty sock time.... :disappointed:
I've just spent a goodly time fitting the roof of the little extension to the main roof. (bottom left) I found out an hour ago that this little roof at the time of the battle was a simple sloping one piece thatched one - no pitch, valleys or gable like wot I've made. Easy fix, but that messy bit has been all for nothing. Out with the scalpel. At least I haven't glued anything.

Hey ho......

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And just like that, it was gone. oh well, I was liking it anyway. But rules is rules so out with the knife.
Cheers Rick H.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron .
You know what I'd have done :smiling2: !!!!
That would have given a very realistic look .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the encouraging posts boys.
453 - It was a very close call, but I'm saving all my frustrated pyrotechnics for a bit later! :hungry:

The little extension roof I made initially was apparently a relatively recent add on.....:angry:
Back on track now.....
As I wrote earlier an easy fix and just annoyed I didn't spot my error earlier, as it was an awkward bit of roof to make.

This is what the little roof should look like....simple!
P1210535.JPG

I've also scribed the floorboards. To give you some idea of the floor size, the work is done on an A4 size board. I then slurried different shades of brown on to the scribed lines.
Note I have added some sun bleaching to the verandah boarding.
P1210536.JPG

To help answer Peter's observations re the film 'Zulu'. I thought it might be a good idea to show how Hook and company are supposed to have escaped from the hospital when it was overrun.
The Zulus initially entered into the center rooms forcing the defenders along the black line. There were no corridors and all the external doors had been well blocked off. I've modelled the two holes cut out of the dividing wall which the British hacked out and you can see the window which the survivors escaped through. I hope this is of some interest to you good people.
P1210539.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Yes, it's all coming back to me now. Don't forget the bunk beds that were used to block the doors. Great progress! Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Ron.
I saw the film that long ago I can't remember much off it at all.:crying:
What's the roof made of, card ? Nice correction, I'd have been none the wiser!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I'm guessing that, as you're going for the real building rather than the film version, you won't be including the post where Pvt Hook scratched his initials? Pity 'cos it would've made a nice detail for you to include!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps.
Rick - With the thatched roof having been on fire and all the collapsed timbers, I don't think the bunks would have survived, or much else. Good suggestion though, I might yet squeeze one in....

Dave - If the model had been bigger who knows what I would have carved on a post. 'Tunnocks For Ever' perhaps?

453 Race - Waste not, want not.... :thumb2:
P1210540.JPG

The loft added. Made from card with the boards just marked in pencil because not much will be seen.
P1210541.JPG

The main boarded floor glued down. The weather bleached verandah can be seen clearer now. Plus a couple of bust down doors added.
P1210542.JPG

I've made a start on the external fixed doors. Made from plastic card.
P1210543.JPG

Thanks for looking.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking good. As always a lesson in how to model on the cheap and still get superb results.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I now see what you mean, The contrast between the veranda and inner flooring is remarkable. Good eye!
Cheers, Rick H.

D

Deleted member 6559

More great work Ron, and thanks for the escape diagram.

Fortunately there were some picks and other tools in the first room which the inmates used to make the holes in the walls. Bayonets, as depicted in the film, wouldn't have done the job, which took at least twenty minutes each using the picks. I gather that the delirious Maxfield was in the Witt's bed and in the middle room alone, where he died. 'Zulu' is a great film, but I've often wondered why they messed about with the story so much, especially as the feats of the individual VC holders were perhaps more exceptional in real life.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yesterday I started the roof timbers. I cut coffee stirrers into strips for the spars.

If a building is to modelled wrecked by explosions, where possible I usually make the complete structure then wreck it. This is different, as a good portion has been consumed by fire, so there is no point in building every bit of the roof construction 'cos it will have literally gone up in smoke.

Here's the progress thus far.

The rear roof timbers slotted into the walls.
P1210546.JPG

The verandah roof. This will be supported by posts and rails.
P1210563.JPG

A top view of the two sections of roof.
P1210562.JPG

Here I've roughly placed the card which will support the thatch roof. These last two images show why it would be pointless making the whole roof.
P1210564.JPG

This shows nicely the different floorboard shades. Done by simply adding more water to the paint mix, thus making the shade paler - or vice versa.
P1210566.JPG

Next I will complete the roof by adding a few main roof spars at either end and then fix some surviving thatch support battens across the spars.

Cheers all.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Looking very good. Starting to get exciting now - bring on the smoke/fire damage.
Jim

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You make this stuff look so easy! Did you notch the top of the walls for the roof timbers? If I tried that, I'd end up with a zigzag roof 'cos I'd never be able to get all the notches level!