1/72 scale.....Scratch building the Hospital, Rorke's Drift, circa 23rd January 1879.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, I did live in Africa in the 1950's so perhaps Peter is somewhat right maybe I was influenced by the natives. :flushed::surprised::smiling2:
Have fire will travel , so any help needed 570 please contact. Closed on Public Holidays .
Comrade Dzhon Gonka
Stalingrad Pyrotechnics Ltd.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
The moment anyone mentions fire & John turns up! :rolling:
Ron, the building looks very good indeed, are you going to add figures too?

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Looking fantastic Ron.
ANORAK ALERT- the rooms didn't have bunk-beds as in the film.just simple wooden cots/beds.
"Trapped like rats in a hole" was Hook's later description of the situation and I can see what he meant.
Jon.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.
Dave (Gern) - sorry old lad I forgot to answer your question. Yes they are notched out for the spars. As to getting them straight. I reasoned that the original woodwork would probably be all up and down anyway, so I was on safe ground whatever happened.

Alun - All the best to you too. I hope you put your Pager off whilst you have your Chrizzy Dinner!..... :sleeping:

No figures and I'll be burning it down not Comrade 453 'Melta Plastikov' Gonka.

Jon - I suspect Rick's post about the 'Bunk Beds' was a generalization. It doesn't matter too much what they were really as they will probably all be burnt to hell and back.

Thanks again for all your posts and feedback. Every one greatly appreciated..... :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Such a shame 570, that carboard floor would go a treat. Have to complement you on it's use for the floor, a very inexpensive method. I have taken note and am in discussion with the procurement Dept as you sleep .!

Yours Comrade 453 .

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks boys.
Dave (Gern) - sorry old lad I forgot to answer your question. Yes they are notched out for the spars. As to getting them straight. I reasoned that the original woodwork would probably be all up and down anyway, so I was on safe ground whatever happened.

Sounds reasonable but I think I'd have to create some sort of jig to get things lined up.

Meantime, aren't you going to incorporate this into your Rorke's Drift dio? I know that would involve a major rebuild of the groundwork but you wouldn't need to paint any more "B****Y ZULUS" - just move the existing lot around!

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Unfair, the Union would never go for it. All Zulus have previous job assignments and therefore can not be reassigned. There must be newly assigned personnel according to the work rules of the existing contract of 1879! That said, Ron, your for it! Hope you got Zulus on your Christmas list with the Missus, 1/72nd scale. Right.
Cheers and Happy Holidays One and All, Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Boys.
453 - I didn't sleep last night. I was too busy having nightmares about some lunatic with 'Made in Lincolnshire' printed on his 'T' Shirt attacking my model with a blowlamp!

Dave and Rick - As I'm modelling the 1/72 Hospital on the morning of the 23rd Jan., the battle has ended and "Sir, the Zulus have gone, scarpered!" So luckily I won't need any Zulus just some general debris and meelie bags, I might add a couple of Brits.. The main thing is with making the building, I'll have shut the wife up..... For a while at least.

An update.
Lousy weather again yesterday, so I was able to do some more on the Hospital building.
I might yet add some bits of missing render etc. but it's nearly ready for thatching.
Here are some pictures.
I made the rough cross battens from very thin slivers of cocktail sticks. I also painted one of the main front rooms with a yellowish wash and added a verandah step.
P1210582.JPG

P1210581.JPG

A cocktail stick hand rail with roof support. I've left the other side off as I figured the massed Zulus would have knocked at least one over.
P1210583.JPG

I'll probably remove some render here and there on these two elevations.
P1210584.JPG

P1210585.JPG

I've kept the foam board base/surround intact as this will keep the model nice and stiff whilst I do the thatching. I'll then remove it and make a 'Proper' base.
P1210586.JPG

I hope you approve thus far and thanks for your support.

Cheers.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,

Just showed the Mrs your building and told her your building materials, she is very impressed.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone.

Paul - Pass on my thanks to your good lady. To impress a lady, any lady, is a bloke's ultimate goal and usually something very rarely attained by most of us poor saps......

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks everyone.

Paul - Pass on my thanks to your good lady. To impress a lady, any lady, is a bloke's ultimate goal and usually something very rarely attained by most of us poor saps......

Are you speaking from personal experience 570 In relation to impressing the ladies. ?? :smiling:

Have to complement you on the building, looking really good, can't be easy in 1/72 to get that level of detail .