4Bo at the ready!!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
I wouldn't worry about the colour - as there were variations in the T-34s coming from different factories, the 4BO paint spec must have been mixed in many places, and tones must have varied on brand new tanks, let alone after exposure to sun & rain!
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
I wouldn't worry about the colour - as there were variations in the T-34s coming from different factories, the 4BO paint spec must have been mixed in many places, and tones must have varied on brand new tanks, let alone after exposure to sun & rain!
Dave
Good point Dave, thanks!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

Right here goes first real bash at the dark art that is modulation :surprised:

Really would like as much feedback as possible chaps. looks a bit too light in areas, but it was under a light as the garage is a bit dark

sprayed at 15 psi with my new sparmax airbrush with a .2mm needle

modu 001.JPG
modu 002.JPG
modu 003.JPG
modu 004.JPG

just spotted the problem on the rear panel, not masked very well on light side :dizzy:

the hull and superstructure are loose, hence the gap at the rear

modu 005.JPG

thanks for looking in

bob

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
what's your next step? I think you need to darken the edges & recesses ( like round the front glacis plate ) - If you're a bit nervous about this, use your darker 4BO thinned a lot, not necessarily with thinners, but use some matt varnish. This reduces the opacity of the paint, but keeps the density up - if you use thinners alone, then the watery paint will blow around! I find that natural light really helps when you're trying to do these subtle transitions - I know daylight bulbs simulate this ( I have one in my desklight ), but you can't beat the real thing!
You're getting there..............
Dave

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Bob

Hopefully a good day with your Anti Stug build and work on modulation, as Dave said, dark and edges.

Its going to be a sunny one, perhaps too warm to spray?

Perhaps get your paints little thinner?

Practise makes .......................... a mess LOL

Enjoy the day

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
what's your next step? I think you need to darken the edges & recesses ( like round the front glacis plate ) - If you're a bit nervous about this, use your darker 4BO thinned a lot, not necessarily with thinners, but use some matt varnish. This reduces the opacity of the paint, but keeps the density up - if you use thinners alone, then the watery paint will blow around! I find that natural light really helps when you're trying to do these subtle transitions - I know daylight bulbs simulate this ( I have one in my desklight ), but you can't beat the real thing!
You're getting there..............
Dave
Many thank Dave, much appreciated advice!!
Morning Bob

Hopefully a good day with your Anti Stug build and work on modulation, as Dave said, dark and edges.

Its going to be a sunny one, perhaps too warm to spray?

Perhaps get your paints little thinner?

Practise makes .......................... a mess LOL

Enjoy the day

Regards

Steve H
Morning Steve, no energy at all so not a lot today, but plenty to look and plan!!

Was beginning to think no one was interested in my efforts??

Thanks both

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Was beginning to think no one was interested in my efforts??

I'm following along Bob, as I'm sure are others. I want to see the wreck finished!

I think the same about my stuff, and I'm sure some others do too about their own builds, but I reckon (and hope) it's because updates are literally flying through at such a rate on the forum, that folks simply miss them and before you know it, the thread has vanished from page one.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’m also following, I read most everything on the forum, but don’t always comment if time is limited or I don’t have anything useful to add (This is most of the time LOL)....By the way, if you don’t think people are interested in this build, you want to try 28mm figures :loudly-crying:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Many thanks all

Its down to being a teacher and the importance of feedback! Always had students asking me, how did i do, did i pass, what was wrong etc

Really appreciate the replies, not forgetting the Steve's, H and Jones!!! Fantastic advice, support and guideance from them!!!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Let me introduce you Bob to the world of white and brown envelopes. Any size or thickness will do but obviously larger and thicker the better. Please make sure all notes (no coinage please) are well sanitised due to the Covid. Scottie runs the safety deposit box end of the operation and he will give you details of where to send the money and the key collection point for a small fee of course. If you have trouble getting over the border due to lockdown JR runs a once a week nightly shuttle from the border to the safety deposit box for a small fee also. :smiling5: :smiling2::smiling5:;):cool::thumb2:

More than happy to help my friend. Looking forward to seeing more progress shots as you get to grips with the joys of modulation

Steve

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
You still have a cheque book?

Had an hour of spluttering AB, nothing done but clean, clean, clean and clean again ,left to soak overnight

Perhaps we will both have a better day tomorrow?

Take care and enjoy the rest, recharge & research

Perhaps a cure for rubber cheques LOL

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Oh yes, the cash is buried in the garden and x marks the spot ;)

Bit mor interest to day so fopllowing Mr Jiones advice, added a a brush lightened 4Bo on top of bolt heads and hinges etc

Not sure if it hits the right spot :thinking:

t34 001.JPG
t34 002.JPG
t34 003.JPG
t34 004.JPG

As alwaysm would apprecite advice

Getting there albeit very slowly

bob