A Different Direction..............

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
OK this is the Dark Knight from Thingiverse by MustangDave
View attachment 472972
On the printer bed - a little bit of stringing between his ears, but nothing to worry about. I still haven't used the glue stick on this magnetic plate - the print stuck well.
View attachment 472973
Looks more like Predator than Batman! The supports added hold up the chin. nose & brows.
Again, the supports are a real pig to remove and there's surface detail & texture lost
View attachment 472974
I'm really going to have to get this support business figured out - otherwise the bust is pretty good
View attachment 472975View attachment 472976

The tweaks I've applied to the settings seem to have worked, the layer lines are not apparent under normal light.
I'm going to have another go at this, paying extreme attention to the supports & make them as light as possible. I must also calibrate the Z-axis stepper motors- it may be that one side is slightly higher than the other. Of course this will mean re-levelling the build plate, but I'm getting the hang of that. I'm happy with progress so far, and I may venture into printing some of my own creations. They will be engineering orientated, the sculpting side of CAD modelling ( using Blender ) are a total unknown to me
Dave
If you tilt him back about 20 degrees the support would be on the back and underneath rather than the face, and much easier to remove, and to make good.
It's all about the orientation.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
t's all about the orientation.
Good thinking Batman! :tongue-out3: That seems to make a lot of sense - it's a new way of looking at things. I'm just beginning to wonder what happens when my present spool of PLA runs out. I have a new box, another maker, another colour - I'll have to see how different that is.................
Dave

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
In my experience there's little to choose between brands of pla. I always go for the cheapest- usually from the 'rainforest'

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Postie just dropped this off - 1 kg spool of 'Florean' blue PLA - £9.85 delivered from ebay 'buy it now'
DSCF4102.JPG

The Dark Knight - I looked at the file, and, I thought - there aren't any bigger overhangs than the 'Benchy' I printed out a day or two ago, so decided to print without any supports...........................

DSCF4103.JPGDSCF4104.JPGDSCF4105.JPGDSCF4106.JPGDSCF4107.JPG
I think that can be counted as a success - in normal daylight the layer lines are almost invisible!
I did true up the Z-axis, there was about 0.75mm difference between the ends. Then I re-levelled the bed. Still no glue stick used. When the print has finished, you remove the magnetic build plate & gently flex it. The print comes away easily, with a faint crackling! This is such an advance over the tape & glue stick of the original configuration. A quick wipe with IPA to remove any grease, and it's ready for the next print.
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Postie just dropped this off - 1 kg spool of 'Florean' blue PLA - £9.85 delivered from ebay 'buy it now'
View attachment 473004

The Dark Knight - I looked at the file, and, I thought - there aren't any bigger overhangs than the 'Benchy' I printed out a day or two ago, so decided to print without any supports...........................

View attachment 473005View attachment 473006View attachment 473007View attachment 473008View attachment 473009
I think that can be counted as a success - in normal daylight the layer lines are almost invisible!
I did true up the Z-axis, there was about 0.75mm difference between the ends. Then I re-levelled the bed. Still no glue stick used. When the print has finished, you remove the magnetic build plate & gently flex it. The print comes away easily, with a faint crackling! This is such an advance over the tape & glue stick of the original configuration. A quick wipe with IPA to remove any grease, and it's ready for the next print.
Dave
Very nice Dave. Interesting that you see layer lines like this on some moulded products these days. They must sculpt and print digitally, then make the moulds from the prints.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
you can actually just print the mould, Tim. My brother has an injection-moulder and prints in a high temp resin....
Never thought of this. The moulding company in my head is Renedra. They make thier own stuff, but also act as a moulding company for most other gaming figure UK companies. However, not all of them have the lines…..I suppose the companies that sub out the manufacturing make thier own moulds?

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Never thought of this. The moulding company in my head is Renedra. They make thier own stuff, but also act as a moulding company for most other gaming figure UK companies. However, not all of them have the lines…..I suppose the companies that sub out the manufacturing make thier own moulds?
Games Workshop have been doing it for years, but whether the moulds or just the originals I'm not sure

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave well done , you've got the hang of this very quickly, you must be very pleased its gone so well.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That looks very good Dave. Is he solid or hollow?
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That looks very good Dave. Is he solid or hollow?
Pete
It has 20% infill - that means that there is a sort of honeycomb support structure under the skin. It means that the print is lighter, takes less time to print & uses less filament. The infill geometry is generated by the slicer programme, and you can vary the infill all the way up to solid ( 100% ). Just another setting you can change!!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For the second time I managed to give myself an electric shock - so I decided it was time to print out the power supply cover from Thingiverse by Area51. - This incorporates a space for a switched plug socket
Power_Supply_Cover_Thick.png
Bit doubtful about this one, it's going to take 5hrs+ to print. The first layers have gone down well & it's sticking - just a matter of going away & leaving it to do its' stuff.
Dave

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
For the second time I managed to give myself an electric shock - so I decided it was time to print out the power supply cover from Thingiverse by Area51. - This incorporates a space for a switched plug socket
View attachment 473105
Bit doubtful about this one, it's going to take 5hrs+ to print. The first layers have gone down well & it's sticking - just a matter of going away & leaving it to do its' stuff.
Dave
I noticed that on the early reviews, had assumed that the company would have taken the ''shock'' news onboard and enclosed it in something to stop that.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well, it actually took 61/2 hours to print and this was in draft mode
DSCF4109.JPGDSCF4110.JPGDSCF4111.JPG
Drafting is for functionality, not aesthetics - not sure why the odd marks on the left in the last picture. That was facing away from me on the build plate, and I only saw it when I popped it off the plate - It doesn't seems to affect the mechanics of the thing! This guard will prevent my fingers from finding the tingly bits, and add a switched plug connection. I'm getting more confidence in the reliability of this now, but not enough to have it running overnight ( yet! )
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well, it actually took 61/2 hours to print and this was in draft mode
View attachment 473132View attachment 473133View attachment 473134
Drafting is for functionality, not aesthetics - not sure why the odd marks on the left in the last picture. That was facing away from me on the build plate, and I only saw it when I popped it off the plate - It doesn't seems to affect the mechanics of the thing! This guard will prevent my fingers from finding the tingly bits, and add a switched plug connection. I'm getting more confidence in the reliability of this now, but not enough to have it running overnight ( yet! )
Dave
Got to love a machine that has design issues, but allows you to make improvements just by using it….I have absolutely no use for one, but I ain’t half tempted…..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'll put up some pictures of the fitted cover tomorrow - then I think that is it, for this thread, it's been about the trials & tribulations of building the 3D printer, setting it up, and learning the basics of how to begin tweaking the slicer programme for better results.
So far I've only printed models created by others, later this week I hope to start printing some of my own. Simple at first, but hopefully getting more adventurous! I'll be starting a new thread, which will be about creating something actually relevant to modelmaking!
Dave

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Going to be a must follow one then Dave.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh - no play today - just having the warnings of a diabetic hypo, so grabbing mars bar & full strength coke & heading for bed
Hope you catch it early enough Dave. Take it easy and see you when it stabilises again.