A Heap of Scrap Metal on a Paradise Shoreline.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here's the proposed 'Scrap Metal' I've had the kit in the stash for a while now. I bought it as an add-on to last years diorama (sorry, but that trawler is still ploughing her way to the Arctic. She should arrive safely in the next day or so) In the mean time.......

This one, her sister ship, was sold to a Pacific Island Shipping Company to trade between Islands.
Unfortunately she was caught in a tropical storm and driven ashore to become a total loss.....

I only came up with the idea for this build today whilst rubbing butter on the dog's boils, so I haven't a clue how this will end up, but I'll give it my best shot.

Should be fun, who knows?

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
570 did I read dogs " boils "
Well I'll have a seat, above any water line please, and out of the wind.
Coffee and toast for breakfast .
Captain Cook .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
In what seems to be a previous life, I used to visit the South Pacific regularly - I was an engineer officer in the MN. The company I worked for had 5 ships on a regular run ( they had a lot more! ). It was Europe>Panama Canal>Tahiti>Fiji>Vanuatu, and then a mix of New Zealand, Australia, Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea. Then Singapore>Suez Canal > Europe all in around 5 months! I did 4 of these round trips in my time with them.
Many of the islands there had their own rusty hulks perched on reefs. From modern Japanese trawlers to WWII landing craft - all had one thing in common ( apart from the rust ), and that was that they had been stripped bare of anything remotely useful!
Memorable event was getting our anchor fouled on a sunken Japanese Freighter in Rabaul Harbour ( WWII casualty ), that freighter still being loaded with all sorts of military stores. We eventually got our anchor free by going ahead and astern, twisting and turning for about an hour!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Firstly I hope the dog's boils are better soon :smiling: :thumb2: :smiling4: I will sit next to John and share his toast although I prefer tea - milk and no sugar.
Seriously though I shall enjoy watching this.
Jim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'm glad I'm not the only one that had to read that bit about the dogs boils twice.
I really need new glasses. (Not to mention a clean TShirt, having sprayed my coffee out my nose after reading that).
I digress .
I will look forward to this one Ron.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I'm in! I want to see what magic you do with the water
Weird scale, though- 1-142..... I reckon they had to reduce a bit it to fit it in the box!

B

Brad9826

Interesting one Ron...is that my dingy on the stern, and have the survivors taken up new careers?.. Looking forward to some mega wave making I hope.:dizzy::thumb2::dizzy:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Brilliant stuff!
It looks like the beach B.B.Q. is filling up just nicely......:cool:

Dave confirmed my plan. In as much as I envisages the scavengers would strip the wreck clean of 'Movables'

Sorry boys, but up to now there won't be any waves as such, just the gentle lapping of the sea as it caresses the golden sands.

Brad, unfortunately the dinghy has been 'Borrowed' by the locals and your/our survivors are off to B&Q (Other D.I.Y. outlets are available) to buy a lawn mower to trim the women's grass skirts.......

Paul, I was watching the butter melt and thinking of sandy beaches when in walked the wife having just dyed her hair......Wreck! Add sand and an idea was formed!

Welcome one and all to this voyage to gawd knows where.......:upside:

Capt. Aslob.
Whale Splitter extraordinaire and shipmate of 453

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I hope your not having butter on the toast John
Il grab a seat Ron.
That reminder has put me off toast with butter ! :smiling5::smiling5:
453 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
So. Butter on the dog's boils ay? What in the names of all the gods do you put on your toast?!
Kaveearrr.

Onwards we go.
First job, and bearing in mind the scavengers have been aboard and done their work, is to try and make the vessel look just like that.
I've made a start by drilling out all the stolen windows, portholes, doors and main deck hatch covers, then filed them to shape. I cheated a bit with the bridge windows because I didn't fancy making them all rectangular, so I shaped just four as they should be and left the rest the size of the drill bit.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice start Ron, I wanted to do something like this myself.

Thanks Ian.
If it's something you want to do, go for it. Folks build the same aircraft, tank whatever, so why not a shoreline wreck?
I don't see that it matters if someone else is building much the same thing. If you fancy having a crack at, just build away my friend.

We can then start our own scrap business.......We could even set up a junk table at Cosford! :thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
So you don't have any repetition, and as some of my mates on here will have seen my build for this trawler fairly recently anyway, I'll skip this one. Mainly because there's not much detail to show......It's all been nicked!

Here is the bridge. All a bit rough, but as the vessel will be covered in crud I'll leave it be.

All the bits I wanted to use are now fixed and all necessary holes drilled out. I've left the various stubs where the radars and small cranes etc. used to reside. I've fitted the hand rails, if for no other reason than to hide the fixing holes in the deck. I haven't finally decided if some, all or none will remain.

Edit - I've just realised I've missed off the large net hauling winch which resides just forward of the bridge. Hey Ho!

Cheers.
Ron