A Heap of Scrap Metal on a Paradise Shoreline.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian.
If it's something you want to do, go for it. Folks build the same aircraft, tank whatever, so why not a shoreline wreck?
I don't see that it matters if someone else is building much the same thing. If you fancy having a crack at one, just build away my friend.

We can then start our own scrap business.......We could even set up a junk table at Cosford! :thumb2:
I think I’ll go ahead then Ron.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave - Early days yet, but your suggestion is one option that I've been chewing over. Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Ian - Great stuff. go for it. I look forward to following the build. If it's on a par with your Me109 rising from the lake it'll be a little gem.....:thumb2:

More progress.....
As there is a big area of plastic I've brushed on a primer coat. First coat all wishy washy. The advantage of brush work is the immediate required streaking effect, even at this first coat stage.

Second coat near enough for the coverage needed.

More holes drilled out....

Doorways and potholes opened out...

Deck hatches and anchor chain locker cut out. Mast supports cut off.

As you will have observed, I've spent scant attention to the general cleaning up of things. As the ship will be covered in all sorts of crud and rust, there didn't seem much point.

Main net winding gear add now.
I forgot to take a picture of the 'Before' version, so I hope you don't mind me including a shot of it from my previous model of this vessel.
This comparison photo also gives a better idea just how much the scavengers took.

Next up, the fun really begins......I hope!

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Ron
Looking good. Any plans for broken window glass.
Jim

Hi Jim - It would probably have been toughened/thick glass in the windows, so there wouldn't be any broken glass as such. Toughened or not, the scavengers have been busy and removed all the inner frames + glass from both the bridge and portholes.

That's my theory anyway. I could be up a gum tree but hey, the sun's out........:thumb2:

Thanks for the interest none the less. Much appreciated.

Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wouldnt there be some serious hull damage preventing them from just floating/towing her off the beach? A thought over coffee. PaulE

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Wouldnt there be some serious hull damage preventing them from just floating/towing her off the beach? A thought over coffee. PaulE
Ah Ha.....What beach? :smiling4:

Update...
This morning I brushed the vessel with a thin coat of what I hope looks like bleached Red Oxide paint. Very much hit and miss, but that's what I'm after.

Yuk!

Cheers.
Ron

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paint came out very nice. My bad, assumed a paradise shoreline would have broad sand beach for nubile beach bunnies to play volleyball and well muscled bronze surfers to play over-the-line. PaulE

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paint came out very nice..... broad sand beach for nubile beach bunnies to play volleyball and well muscled bronze surfers to play over-the-line. PaulE
Thanks Paul. Not my idea of a Paradise beach though.
The middle of nowhere, one beach bunny with perhaps a secluded bar thrown in - Now that's paradise......At which point I usually wake up!

There could well be the odd bit of 'sand' on the model. I haven't really given it much thought just yet.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A'har Jim lad!
I've been sperimentin' with some of them thar barneecals! Well, crushed up stones anyway...

First coating.

Landward side.

I've slung the rudder. Probably why the vessel ended up where it did in the first place.

Seaward side.

No colour as yet.

Cheers.
Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Liking it Ron, I suspect there is much going on behind the red oxide...will stand by and see what develops. Cheers, Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Coming along nicely 570...I get the feeling that this will be a cracker!
Always good to see you work your magic sir:thumb2:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good Ron, but wouldn't the scrap merchants have made off with the propeller?

Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for all your encouraging comments chaps. Great to see I'm not alone on this voyage into the unknown.

Looking good Ron, but wouldn't the scrap merchants have made off with the propeller?
Pete

Good point Pete, but I think the scavengers would be more interested in things easily removable that could be of some use. Windows, hawsers, the ships boat, radar and associated gear.
The removal of the prop might have proven too much for the petty pilferers. The impact of going aground might even have bent the prop. shaft making it impossible to remove the prop. Who knows?
I think leaving it in place also adds a bit more interest to the back end of the vessel.

Thanks for the input..... :thumb2:

Ron

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks for all your encouraging comments chaps. Great to see I'm not alone on this voyage into the unknown.

Good point Pete, but I think the scavengers would be more interested in things easily removable that could be of some use. Windows, hawsers, the ships boat, radar and associated gear.
The removal of the prop might have proven too much for the petty pilferers. The impact of going aground might even have bent the prop. shaft making it impossible to remove the prop. Who knows?
I think leaving it in place also adds a bit more interest to the back end of the vessel.

Thanks for the input..... :thumb2:

Ron
Thought I'd already posted this, but it seems not! Ron, props are often made of cast bronze, highly attractive to thieves.

Pete

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Ron, Looks like an interesting project, I'll follow along. The Prop would be cast bronze, but would probably be put on very tight with special tools, so pilferers might struggle with it. Some ships have anti barnacle paint on their hulls, but it doesn't last forever, barnacles do make the subject more interesting, after all, they give a bit of texture.:thumb2: