Advance from Normandy.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tiling looks good Paul. Great to see this coming to life in front of us.

D

Deleted member 5496

Well having a critical eye of 50 years in architecture you have done superbly well there
Paul. Very nice piece of work on the dormer. A good idea of construction not easy.

Perhaps a few broken tiles at the eaves. The slate edges are the most vulnerable there
as the slate tops are nailed to the tile battens an upward blast will snap them.

Very nicely done. Great to see DIY just love this work myself. Just thinking of a small hanger
on my Jersey Airport. Look forward to your progress.

Laurie

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Paul.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul this is lookin great carpentry an could you put your hand nr the build so i can see how big it is an whats wattle and dorb ?
chris

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

Excellent building job to complement an excellent vehicle build. BTW it's Wattle and Daub" as in daub mud all over the woven sticks.
Keep it coming

John

D

Deleted member 5496

Paul

Excellent building job to complement an excellent vehicle build. BTW it's Wattle and Daub" as in daub mud all over the woven sticks.
Keep it coming

John

Plus a good shovel of animal dung. But it is in fact lath & plaster or a lime mixture

Wattle & daub is pre historic using twigs straw & branches etc. clay & the dung.

Laurie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Different applications weren’t they though Laurie? I know you know this stuff Laurie, but others may be interested…..

F15CB48C-7820-43D9-A342-6F6D6A6F2AA6.jpeg
Wattle, covered with mud/clay/dung/straw as a wall finish….
61EA6403-68E4-4E20-A24F-0D4129DB44F8.jpeg…and in use…..

1A67B7DD-7718-46B5-999F-18DB8F7A5C91.jpeg
Lath with the plaster removed…
5E87855E-AD1D-4E7D-B3C2-197A360E4416.jpeg
Lath from behind, plaster keyed into the wall by the horizontal gaps.

As I understand it, Wattle and Daub was used for main wall construction filling in between house framing.
Lath and plaster was used for a smooth decorative wall finish inside a building? It is very difficult to hand things like radiators and cupboards on lath and plaster stud walls…believe me, I’ve tried LOL. The only way I found was to use spring toggle clips…..everything else just fell through or fell off…unless you were lucky enough to hit a stud behind the lath!

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great start Scottie. Worked slate tiles back in the 80s. Not fun.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Well having a critical eye of 50 years in architecture you have done superbly well there
Paul. Very nice piece of work on the dormer. A good idea of construction not easy.

Perhaps a few broken tiles at the eaves. The slate edges are the most vulnerable there
as the slate tops are nailed to the tile battens an upward blast will snap them.

Very nicely done. Great to see DIY just love this work myself. Just thinking of a small hanger

Laurie
Laurie, thanks for the great feed back I will stick some broken tiles on.
Great start Scottie. Worked slate tiles back in the 80s. Not fun.
Cheers Paul. I watched a program not that long ago of how the guys used to spend all day splitting the slate to make thousands of tiles a day.
Fabulous work Paul. Inspiring stuff
Cheers
Paul
Paul very kind of you thanks.
Nice one Scottie, looks great so far!
Cheers Ben, good to see you looking in.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Laurie
Cheers Laurie if it passes your scrutiny then that's good enough for me.
Coming on very nicely indeed Paul.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew
Cheers Andrew it's getting there slowly.
HI Paul this is lookin great carpentry an could you put your hand nr the build so i can see how big it is an whats wattle and dorb ?
chris
Will post a picture later. Tim has given an excellent description, which I will try and get right.
Paul

Keep it coming

John
Cheers John, good to see you.
Different applications weren’t they though Laurie? I know you know this stuff Laurie, but others may be interested…..

View attachment 435033
Wattle, covered with mud/clay/dung/straw as a wall finish….
View attachment 435036…and in use…..

View attachment 435034
Lath with the plaster removed…
View attachment 435035
Lath from behind, plaster keyed into the wall by the horizontal gaps.

As I understand it, Wattle and Daub was used for main wall construction filling in between house framing.
Lath and plaster was used for a smooth decorative wall finish inside a building? It is very difficult to hand things like radiators and cupboards on lath and plaster stud walls…believe me, I’ve tried LOL. The only way I found was to use spring toggle clips…..everything else just fell through or fell off…unless you were lucky enough to hit a stud behind the lath!
Thanks mate for taking the time to post the pictures it will mean i will hopefully get it right.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have added some stonework to the building. The foam then received a coat of diluted PVA to seal the surface. All the sub assemblies have been undercoated with primer. They have just been put together loosely for the picture.

DSCF3037.JPG

DSCF3038.JPG
DSCF3039.JPG

The window details are a mixture of Mini art and scratched items. These will be painted and weathered before adding later. Not sure what colour to paint the building and woodwork so any suggestions will be considered.

DSCF3040.JPG

Finally a small section of wall for across the street.

DSCF3041.JPG

thanks for looking.

Scottie

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Superb stuff Scottie. Really looks great. Excellent texture to the parts that will show well with paint.

D

Deleted member 5496

Nice, takes certain mind to do these things.

All in the detail.

Laurie