Airfix 1/72 Sea King

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I might be wrong but I think I heard than it can be sanded back?
I have seen it being sanded so I think you are right. Should be helpful for disguising the step around decals and cammo. Apply, sand back, reapply. It's a technique I use on 1/1 scale :smiling2: for hiding the step on vinyl stripes / graphics or between colours on a two tone paint job, so I hope it will carry over to scale work.

Very clean built. I enjoy putting decals on always have

Thanks Lee. I'm sure as I improve I'll get the hang of decals and not dislike them so much. Most went on fine but the ones on compound curves or over raised details challenged me a bit.

Practice practice practice

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Am I correct in thinking that this is your first model, Andy? If so you can be justly proud of it, even if you ARE a professional painter.
This is a very fine job indeed!
Cheers
Neil

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
How did you apply the valejo varnish?
I have 70.510 and had to thin it 50/50 and spray pretty liberally to get a decent gloss.

D

Deleted member 7181

Am I correct in thinking that this is your first model, Andy? If so you can be justly proud of it, even if you ARE a professional painter.
This is a very fine job indeed!
Cheers
Neil
Thanks Neil, very kind of you to say so!

It's actually my second model, this Spitfire was my first, but I'm still vastly inexperienced compared to most here.

How did you apply the valejo varnish?
I have 70.510 and had to thin it 50/50 and spray pretty liberally to get a decent gloss.

Pretty much the same Chris, about 50/50 then tried to get each coat as thin but wet as possible by using plenty of pressure and moving close and fast.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
hmm...I read advice to dial the pressure down to 15psi which seemed to help.
Thanks for the affirmation though. Useful to know I’m not doing anything drastically wrong from a paint pro!

D

Deleted member 7181

Wrapped up like a turkey for painting the black parts

LRzROqA.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

hmm...I read advice to dial the pressure down to 15psi which seemed to help.
Thanks for the affirmation though. Useful to know I’m not doing anything drastically wrong from a paint pro!
I'm still very new to airbrushing though so might not be using the best techniques, but if it works, it works :smiling3: