Allen's 1/48 Revell Mosquito B Mk. IV

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on beautifully Allen!!

Agree that Vallejo gloss isn't as glossy as some. Funnily though and despite my various trials and tribulations with Vallejo's Model Air, until I got the hang of it, their resin varnish never troubled me, even when I've laid it on a bit thick.... just resist the temptation to dab it off and it dries fine.

What mix are you using out of interest? Just curious. I have a Vallejo book and following that I've been using a ratio of 2:1 varnish to thinner, with maybe an extra drop or two of thinner if I've mixed a large batch.

If Fernando has got a better way then I'm more than willing to try to learn from it.

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Wow!!....
That's come on some since I last looked in Allen :smiling3:
Looks excellent mate.... Great job,makes me wanna pull my finger out on mine now! ;)
To stuff buddy!!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great work Allen. I bought one of these years ago, looked in the box, and quietly set it aside until I felt more 'up to it'. There is certainly a lot of bits and pieces to play with.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Tim and Rick for your thoughts on my question. It always helps to get other ideas on the matter. As a non-wingy builder, I think I've got it right, but afraid I'll screw it all up too...

Thanks too, Mark and I think the carrier film on the red dots won't really show on the white circle background. I'll just stick it on and see what happens...

Thank you, Andrew. I've never shot a gloss coat on a model for decals before. Fernando told me he mixes 2-3 drops thinner to 10 drops of varnish. I have a small, skinny syringe I use to measure out my mixes. Hell, I'd have to take my shoes off to even begin to count drops for a mix!!! It sprayed really great, in light coats and with absolutely no runs. I think I did 3, total and in one sitting. I shot the first coat front to back, then the second, again front to back as the first had dried already and then the third coat. My only nemesis was a few dust flecks, but no biggie there. HTHs my friend.

Why thank you Mr. Smiff. I am having some fun and making progress on this thang. You should really get crackin' on yours Andy. I know you want to.........

Morn Colin. I was surprised how nice the kit was myself and I'm not a wing thingy builder. 1/48 is a bit too small for my eyes, but building it was quite fun. It's all the masking, painting camo, varnishing and nasties (decals) that keeps me away from them, even though I have a bunch of 1/32 birds in the stash. Thanks for looking in, Sir...

Thanks again all and have a good time at the bench...

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Just a quick update to keep you all bored. I continued with applying the tiny "Nasties" last night but didn't put them all on. You can't even see half of them on her anyway......Ok, I got lazy........ So,

IMG_3097.JPG
These you can see pretty good,

IMG_3098.JPG
But the ones in front of the little wing flappies are almost invisible. The 2 on the fin are ok,

IMG_3099.JPG
The one on the nose is alright. The ones that go behind the red X's are a no-go, again too small to be seen. I will also hit the X's with another shot of Micro-Sol.....

While it's still cool outside, I want to play with the top coat of varnish now. Gonna see how matt the Vallejo is and maybe add some gloss if it is too matt to give it a little shine, but not a lot. No rest for the old Dude I'm afraid..........

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Allen. Far more decals there than Tamiya supply ;) If I may make asuggest…..before you put another coat of micro sol on the silvering, prick the bubbles with the tip of a very sharp number 11 scalpel (other sharp pointed blades are available). Silvering is trapped air, and that little wrinkle lets the air out so the decals can settle properly.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Tim. I have already poked them with my tiny needle. I'll give them a light coat and see if the finally snuggle down. I also started feeling guilty and am about to add most of the other tiny little "Nasties" too. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better too my friend....

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Everyone,

A quick update on my Mossie is in order, I think??? I really felt guilty, so I added almost all of the little "Nasties". You can't see half of them though. The next day, I mixed up a brew of matt and gloss varnishes to attempt a satin finish. I don't know the ratio data, but it shot like a dream with no clogging or probs. I let that dry for a day and then started the de-masking work on the clear parts. Here is an idea of my satin finish or better said, the results,

IMG_3106.JPG
Looks pretty satin to my old peepers and you know I'm no expert on these matters. All of the masking came off without a hitch and the side windows on the canopy didn't pop off either. I guess I was really careful with the needle tip tweezers!!! More pics,

IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3110.JPG
There are a few touch ups to be done. A little paint removal with a toothpick and some paint added in places on the frames. The top of the nose glass being the worst looking (4th pic)...All in all, I'm quite happy with the way my masking turned out, even though doing it was a PITA!!! I think we are getting nearer to the finish line now. Wing lights, spinning things on the motors, landing gear, doors for the landing gear, bombs with belly doors open and the antenna. I might even attempt to add the cable between the antenna and the tail fin....Then lastly, exhaust dirt/marks and then a wash to hide all the goof-ups I made along the way.......

Thanks once again for looking in and deciphering all my aeronautic expertise in these wing thingy matters. More to come, but I have been working this week, so it could be a day or three. All abuse is necessary at this point in the build. Have a good night one and all..............

Prost
Allen

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Evening Everyone,

A quick update on my Mossie is in order, I think??? I really felt guilty, so I added almost all of the little "Nasties". You can't see half of them though. The next day, I mixed up a brew of matt and gloss varnishes to attempt a satin finish. I don't know the ratio data, but it shot like a dream with no clogging or probs. I let that dry for a day and then started the de-masking work on the clear parts. Here is an idea of my satin finish or better said, the results,

View attachment 462902
Looks pretty satin to my old peepers and you know I'm no expert on these matters. All of the masking came off without a hitch and the side windows on the canopy didn't pop off either. I guess I was really careful with the needle tip tweezers!!! More pics,

View attachment 462903
View attachment 462904
View attachment 462905
View attachment 462906
There are a few touch ups to be done. A little paint removal with a toothpick and some paint added in places on the frames. The top of the nose glass being the worst looking (4th pic)...All in all, I'm quite happy with the way my masking turned out, even though doing it was a PITA!!! I think we are getting nearer to the finish line now. Wing lights, spinning things on the motors, landing gear, doors for the landing gear, bombs with belly doors open and the antenna. I might even attempt to add the cable between the antenna and the tail fin....Then lastly, exhaust dirt/marks and then a wash to hide all the goof-ups I made along the way.......

Thanks once again for looking in and deciphering all my aeronautic expertise in these wing thingy matters. More to come, but I have been working this week, so it could be a day or three. All abuse is necessary at this point in the build. Have a good night one and all..............

Prost
Allen
Looking very nice indeed there Allen....
... VERY NICE :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think that you have nailed it Allen....looks just right to my old winky peeps! :nerd:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on your great build Allen, this one has put up a great fight, but you seem to have beat it into submission. Cracking work and nearly completed and on time.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking fantastic allen , the masking worked well and the paint job is great . Cheers tony

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Afternoon One and All,

Mr. Smiff, Mark, Rick, Ian and Tony, I'm sorry for the late reply and I thank you Gentlemen for the kind words and encouragements. It truly helps this old guy to keep going!!! I have been driving on, trying to get the Mossie finished. Here are the only parts that are not in place yet,

IMG_3167.JPG
Props, fender skirts, antenna w/sprue for wire and the doors for the wheel wells. I have sawed the doors almost through so when I'm ready to add them, a quick swipe with it should give me 2 halves. The tail fin and the antenna are drilled out to accept the sprue wire. This will be the last step as it could easily be wrecked by my clumsiness. I gave her a brown wash with AV's European Dust. It came out so-so and I guess I can live with it,

IMG_3164.JPG
IMG_3165.JPG
It doesn't show too well as our weather has been crap and the natural light isn't there. The underside is the weak point of the build. I should have fixed a few things, but I got lazy, I guess. You can see my wash experiment better too,

IMG_3166.JPG
Luckily, most of this mess won't be seen as she will be sitting on her wheels on the ground. I removed the Acme Soft Landing Pads and tried to remember what went in the holes. After a few cold ones, we had this,

IMG_3168.JPG
I have only glued the support struts in place. When dry, I will attempt to shim the main wheel holder things to raise them a little. This was one of the probs with this kit when it came out in 2008. 3-4 mm should make a difference in their height...

I am finally on the way to making a final landing approach Folks. I know you can't believe it........And neither can I!!!!!!......Thanks again for looking in and keeping me on my toes. All abuse is needed and cheerfully accepted.........

Prost
Allen

PS, the cold ones helped me to remember how in the hell to get the landing wheel things in the holes without busting them to pieces........It was tricky, but I did it!!!..........

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Allen,

Apologies got behind on this. That's coming on very nicely indeed.

Very well done.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good allen , those cold ones really do help , im going to borrow that technique :thumb2::smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good morning from a (finally) sunny Bamberg,

Andrew, no need to apologize my friend, happens to all of us with so much going on. I think I'm behind on your build too??? Thanks for looking in...

Tony, yes Sir, it does help as the landing gear, when assembled, has to be turned and squeezed into the opening a certain way for it to fit. I had forgotten how I did it in the first place, so the cold ones jogged the brain. Try it sometime, it works!!!

Ian, Thank you Sir!!! The underside is really not looking too good though. I should have paid more attention to the fit and the seams...

Mike, Thanks too and the end is near. This morning, I wanted to glue the last few pieces on her and got a good slap in the face to boot...

So, I added the wheel well doors and then went to slip the mudflap things into place so I could glue them. There was enough play in the legs so the pins could slip in easily. One of the mudflap things,

IMG_3171.JPG
The damn thing wouldn't fit right at all. Huh!!! I tried the other one and got the same thing. Back to the destructions I went and,

IMG_3169.JPG
Yes, I assembled them correctly according to step 43...HUH!!! So what's up??? looking further at the destructions,

IMG_3170.JPG
Ohhh, Revell pulled a Dragon on me!!! I couldn't believe that, especially this late in the build. I tried to loosen the parts of one with TET, so I could turn the frames around and install them correctly. That was No-Go and didn't work. I did manage to crack one of the frames, but I glued it back together. I decided to put them on the way they are,

IMG_3172.JPG
Totally wrong I know and I could have rounded the ends to look right...NOT!!!...Too much like work at this very late stage of the game. I've only the spinney things, antenna stuff and to finish up the exhaust stains, to get her done....

Just don't inform the RAF over my laziness error and it will be fine. Thanks for your co-operation in this matter and have a nice day!!!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That is a great looking Mossie. As for the mud flap thingies - very few will notice and it doesn't detract from a great result.