Allen's 1/48 Revell Mosquito B Mk. IV

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Personally I prefer Eduard to Montex. They are just like pre cut Tamiya tape. The way to go is to place them lightly on the canopy and adjust position until you are happy, then press them down fully. They act exactly as Tamiya tape on removal, coming off clean with no residue. I found the Montex jobs moved about too much and then left stains when they were removed. Only used them on 1/48 builds though, 1/72 might drive me to hand paint and adding the cockpit later……
I found the cheaper vinyl ones like that but Montex were ok. The one problem I did find was getting them to go around tight angles......too much spring for the amount of glue.... That said I'm probably 2/3 Eduard 1/3 everything else..... Mostly Montex.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Allen all look top draw mate. The time spent on the masks will be worth it.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Luvvvvin' it Allen! With flaps down she'll look the bomb parked on the tarmac. :thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Looking very nice indeed Allen. Can't wait for the green!

Thanks Andrew and your wish is my command my friend...See below, but don't worry..................
Allen all look top draw mate. The time spent on the masks will be worth it.

Not too sure Buddy, but when I pull them, the truth will be seen (he says with fingers and toes crossed)...
Luvvvvin' it Allen! With flaps down she'll look the bomb parked on the tarmac. :thumb2:

Thanks Rick, that was my plan from the start, but the best is yet to come, I hope....

So, for all those that thought I was joking around about finishing this in my halftrack post, we have started the green. A big thanks goes out to Ron (570) for his SBS on hairy stick work on wing thingy's. I was afraid to mask the camo for fear of screwing it all up and over spray, etc. Breaking out my wood butcher pencil, I attempted to make the outlines for the camo following the destruction pics. It sorta worked, but realized that Van Gough, I ain't!!! Anyhoo, here's where we are at the moment. It's only the first coat...

If you have a weak stomach, please look away immediately!!! TIA.........

IMG_3074.JPG
Yea, I'll probably get hate mail from the official RAF Museum, but it was the best camo pattern I could draw. Another shot,

IMG_3075.JPG
I'll let it dry for 24 hours and tomorrow, I will brush on the next coat. It should be easier now that the 1st base coat is on her. Can't say how many coats it may take to get good coverage of the green, but I will not give up until it's done. After that, move on and spray a coat of gloss so I can apply Tony's (yakface) favorite thangs.............Decals!!!!!!!!!!!...

Thanks again to Ron and you all have a great weekend....

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Allen. The green will take less coats than you think….two to three I’d say?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
And so the green genie is out of the bottle!!! :smiling5:

• Haha

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Really coming along nicely now Allen, that green will soon fill in

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks a lot Gentlemen,

So, on day 2, we brushed on coat 2 and guess what??? The old dummy forgot to thin the paint before going at it this morning. Thought I had and went about painting anyway,

IMG_3076.JPG
Yes, it is as bad as it looks..............
IMG_3077.JPG
But tomorrow is a new day and I will remember to thin the paint before brushing on the third coat. I only hope that it will flow into all the canyons and leave a smooth finish, and fully cover it. If not, then the fourth coat will be a charm for sure. Honestly, if after the tenth coat, this puppy ain't covered, it could be the bin for it..........Only kidding..........

Have a great weekend, stay safe, and don't drink and drive......You'll spill your drink!!!.............

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
So here we are again Folks,

On the third day, the old dude did the third coat of green...Yes, no brain farts, and I thinned the paint before starting this time. I think it came out sorta, kinda, maybe ok and I really don't want to attempt a 4th coat. Please tell me what you think,

IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG
I'm sort of scared to pull off the tape on the sides. I only hope the paint didn't creep under it too much. A few touch-ups are in order, but no biggie really....
Now, I need to ask the experts here what you use to dull down the stark bright finish a little. On armor, it's a wash, but on a wing thingy, I have no idea and mud is out of the question........

After a dull-down, it's on with a gloss coat and then........The nasties!!!...

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice solid coverage.........think you got it nailed down Allen. Don't sweat the tape.........as 570 says, just a little touch up to bring back. :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just shows how the layers build up to give that great finish Dude 1.
Most impressive.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
I would do a full all over wash, I use Flory models dark dirt wash. Paint it all over, let it dry then wipe off, it dulls the finish and highlights the panel lines.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nicely done Allen!!

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon All,

Things are moving along, not quickly, but along...Paul, Rick, Dude 2 and Andrew, Thanks for the kind words and support. It definitely keeps me going on this. Thanks for the help, Mick. I haven't seen any Flory products over here. would a Vallejo European Dust wash work???

Early yesterday morning, I shot a few light coats of Vallejo gloss varnish on my Mossie, before the temps went up. Thanks again to Fernando for the tips on using it. It shot nice and easy without any probs, laying down smooth coats without clogging or drying the AB tip.
It isn't really as shiny as I thought a gloss varnish would be. I let it dry till this morning and then started the "Nasties". Armed with Micro Set & Sol along with Q-tips, 2 mini stick brushes, toothpick and a cup of water, I went at it. The first 2,

IMG_3093.JPG
Ok, the second 2, as I first put 2 tiny ones on the bottom next to the entrance hatch first. Rolled out and dried the M-Set/water with a Q-tip very carefully, as to not move them around. Then slobbered them with M-Sol and let them dry. Moving on,

IMG_3095.JPGUsed the same tactics on the circle things and I think they even sit in the right places on the wings. Evenly spaced too!!!...Lastly,

IMG_3096.JPG
Serial numbers, flags on the fin and the big letters on the sides with more circles. This one is tipped a bit too downwards. Some of the decals need another coat of Sol later too. Now for the big question of the week....

I have to add the red disk decals to the middle of the white circles. Do I need to dab some gloss on the white before applying them or just apply them like one normally does??? I would think the carrier film might silver or show once applied normally. TIA.......

Just a bunch of tiny decals to add now. Some of which you can't even read what's written on them (Eat at Murphy's or something like that).......Now, for the small question of the week....After I'm done with the "Nasties", do I shoot another gloss coat on her or can I shoot a matt coat on her and then do the weathering???...TIA, again!!!...

I must admit applying the "Nasties" was easier than I thought it would be. The big letters on the other side are slanted a bit more correctly.....

Also, thanks to Steve (Stona) and/or other folks on here for the idea of making a cheap, safe holder for wing thingy's. You see, I nicked that one right away....

Thanks for looking in and all abuse cheerfully accepted...Have a good one!

Prost
Allen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking very good Allen . Top paint job and well done with the decals. Personally I would just go straight in with a satin coat of varnish.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks so much Jim. So a matt coat isn't the way to go? Wouldn't a satin finish be a little too shiny for for it? Kind of puzzled here my friend.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks so much Jim. So a matt coat isn't the way to go? Wouldn't a satin finish be a little too shiny for for it? Kind of puzzled here my friend.....
Personally I like satin on aircraft as well Allen. Shows the airframe lines off better. Full matt makes them look dead.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is an excellent point about Aircraft finishes........don't know about during WW2 but in the 60's when I first started working on B-1-R-D's they were all semi gloss or satin.....can't speak for choppers never worked around them enough to notice. I would suggest that you do a little custom mix to get the right amount of sheen so it is more to scale.....too shiny would make it look like a "Custom" car. just me own thot's with a coffee in my hand......

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Looking good Allen i usually just go straight on with the dots with no problems i guess a bit of gloss wont hurt if you prefer.