Allen's 1/48 Revell Mosquito B Mk. IV

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
All looking good. Seat belts are nice. Glad the canopy fits OK. I also worried on mine that the seats were high but there seems to be plenty of space in Mossie cockpits.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Allen.

Makes me want to get on with mine....but first I need I get my 109s over the finish line.....but first I need to get back from the weeks holiday we're on!

Keep up the great work.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Paul, Jim, Mark and Andrew, Thanks for the boost and your kind comments. Sorry I'm late replying, but I needed a break from this build and it's been so hot over the past weeks. You really can't do too much at the table and wearing the optivisor is almost impossible without sweat running down your face like Niagara Falls.....

I have accomplished some work and have a small update to share now that it's under 30°C in my apartment. Remember, Drink water folks.

I decided to glue on the wings to see if they needed filling or not. They actually fit pretty good and with a bit of work, we had this,

IMG_3057 (2).JPG
A small gap on the left side and a short small gap on the right front side. There were also gaps where the engine covers went on the wing tops. I'm not the best with using putty for this, so I used stretched sprue instead. The gaps were small and with TET and patience, I got them filled,

IMG_3061.JPG
I smoothed them out and they look ok. As it has been too hot to use the hissy stick, I moved on and hairy sticked the props. I also will use the extra prop covers the seller sent as extra parts with the kit. The kits covers are the wrong shape and incorrect. AK RLM02 yellow and AK satin black did the trick,

IMG_3060.JPG
You can see the covers are rather old and yellowed out. With a bit of modification, the Revell prop parts fit in them perfectly and luckily, are the correct diameter. Lastly, I added the flame dampers for the exhaust. These took a bit of work to remove the bumps on the nacelle sides where they go. You can see them in the 2nd pic and here is a side pic,

IMG_3062.JPG
Once the bumps were gone, they fit perfectly and spot on the heat shield squares on the sides. There are a few little holes where the nacelle meets the wing that need filling. A few more bits to add, lots of glass masking and then I can finally shoot a coat of medium sea grey on her. Just need the weather to cool down 8-10° to get that done...

Thanks for looking in and all abuse is cheerfully accepted. Stay cool and Mossie on Folks. I may finish this thing yet......................

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking really good Allen. Will reply to your comment on my 109s when I have some time to do it properly!

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent progress allen , its looking superb . The seat belts look great too , cant wait to see the paint go on , cheers tony

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Coming on very nicely Allen. Always a good feeling to get the wings on.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Been awhile since I dropped by.........nice tidy build so far, Allen. You look to have things well in hand, Moggle on Sir! :thumb2:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
You want abuse?......
... ere we go then......
.... Nah,just kidding!! ;)
It's looking great to me too Allen :smiling3:
Cockpit stands out very nicely and your use of the stretched sprue and TET instead of putty has worked really well ;)
Rock on mate!!

Reactions: JR

antonintony

SMF Supporter
First Name
Antonin
Hey Allan,
greetings from Bamberg xD
It´s really great to see you still going on that Mosquito!
Sorry that I didn´t reply earlier but we are moving to a bigger flat right now.
I just unboxed my Laptop and the first thing I did was reading about your build.
You should visit us after we removed that chaos in our new home :smiling:
See ya!

Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Ladies and Germs,

So sorry for the late reply, but my laptop threw a hissy fit last week and kept freezing up on me. I guess that happens when you fall asleep at the table with the mouse in your hand. You click on it and have no idea what you did, what you opened or what you screwed up in doing so. Working 4 days last week didn't help the situation one bit either. Anyway, this is not an update as I forgot to take pics of the progress, I have accomplished.......So,

Andrew - Thanks Buddy, most of the past days have been wasted on masking...

Mark - Thank you too Sir and I see you've brought yours over the finish line...

Tony - Thank you for the seatbelt idea and the next step is to sling some paint on her if I didn't forget all the tidbits to add...

Jimbo - Thanks my friend and I think the dihedral (is that a word) is correct too. Hope you guys are well...

Rick - Don't know about tidy Buddy, but it is moving ahead, even with all the heat and high temps we've been having here...

Mick - If our temps go down a bit, then your wish is my command Sir! It's the next step on the plate now...

Mr. Smiff - I really expected some real abuse from you Andy! After all, what are friends for. Thanks Bro...

DJ Ötzi aka Anton - Greetings from Gartenstadt too!!! Cool beans Daddy-O. Will we meet at Keesemann or Mahrbrau when you get settled. Just send me your new address by Scale Model Shop when the time comes. Thorsten will also come along when you're done. How's that hunting kitty? Did it survive the move?...

Now that things are back to normal PC wise, it looks like I have a lot of ketchup to do. Please stand by and thank you for your understanding good people. Pics in the morn, if I don't forget to take them again (or fall asleep after work)...........

Prost
Allen

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Folks,

Yup, fell asleep again at the table and totally forgot I had taken pics of my work. I just forgot to download them onto the laptop. DOH!!!....Old age is really starting to get on my nerves........Anyway, I spent a lot of time playing with the Eduard masks and trying to apply them. I have new respect for anyone who uses them on 1/72 wing thingy's. You all are totally nuts!!!!!!........

The masking,

IMG_3065.JPG
This is about 2 days of work here not including the time spent gluing the side window back in place after it popped out. Trying to get them centered in the right position was a real PITA, but we got there. Eduard's instruction sheet is pretty easy to follow, but the yellow on white paper made it very difficult to see the mask (outline) needed, even under the light,

IMG_3068.JPG

Now in step 3, one has to use liquid mask to fill in the spaces lila colored. Fine, pulled out my bottle of Vallejo liquid mask and gave her a good shaking. Something ain't right here as there was no movement in the bottle at all. Opened it up and then noticed the cap was cracked on it. Great!!! Gave the bottle a squeeze and nada!!!...A big, dried clump of nada. The beatch was, it was a brand-new bottle and never used. Must have been sent that way and I never noticed it. So,

IMG_3066.JPG
Out with some of the left-over masking from the sheet and covered all the areas that needed the liquid stuff. Another PITA, but it worked ok. I then glued the glass areas on using TET and luckily nothing got fogged up,

IMG_3067.JPG
Now after they all dried, I went back over the sprues to see if I had missed adding any tidbits to the plane. I wanted to shoot the gray on her while the weather is still cool here. The two intake flap thingy covers under the wing were the last 2 parts added. I looked at the clear sprue and sure enough, I forgot to add the bomb sight piece. Great.......All I can say is this bird didn't have one as the Navi/bomb-dropper dude had better than 20/20 vision and didn't need it. That's the story I'm sticking to folks............

Now onto the hissy stick work and get this baby in some color. Thanks for looking in and have a great Thursday. Most of all, stay young!!!

Prost
Allen

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rather you than me Dude 1, very neat work indeed.
I'm going to use that peel off stuff and try the frame by hand !!!!!

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Allen. If you're struggling with Eduard masks, vinyl ones done by the likes of Montex work very well!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Personally I prefer Eduard to Montex. They are just like pre cut Tamiya tape. The way to go is to place them lightly on the canopy and adjust position until you are happy, then press them down fully. They act exactly as Tamiya tape on removal, coming off clean with no residue. I found the Montex jobs moved about too much and then left stains when they were removed. Only used them on 1/48 builds though, 1/72 might drive me to hand paint and adding the cockpit later……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The masking looks neat. The masks for my Mossie build also had the centre, on some panels, filled with liquid mask. It actually worked well.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon again Folks,

As the weather has stayed cool, I decided to go ahead and shoot a coat of gray on the Mossie. Thank you for your comments, guys!

Dude 2 - I wanted to use the fluid, but it was just a blob of latex and worthless, so I threw it away...

Andrew - I have Montex and Eduard masks for all of my 1/32 wing thingy kits in the stash. Haven't used the Montex masks yet. The Eduard masks in 1/48 were too small for my old peepers, even with my optivisor. Another reason I love to build armor and such...

Tim - At one point, I almost started to paint the frames by hand too. Then use the toothpick method to clean them up. I stuck with the masks and will see what the results are after shooting green in the morn...

Jim - Thanks Sir and I guess I won't know if the fluid works or not, until I buy a new bottle and try it out on something...

So, after getting everything setup, naturally, as I was about to go, the sun clouded over, and I had to use the LED lamp. I was surprised that my Vallejo sprayed well, being the first time, I've ever sprayed it. Fernando gave me some tips last night over the phone. Thanks Bro!!! I hadn't mixed enough paint, so I could only shoot 4/5ths of it before mixing up a new small batch....

Now I had another reason for not building wing thingy's.....How in the hell do you hold them to shoot a coat overall??? There was no place to put a stick into it or hook a clamp onto it, to turn it all around for painting. I did manage to do the job and we have this,

IMG_3070.JPG
IMG_3071.JPG
IMG_3072.JPG
It did come out ok, but I saw It needed a few touch-ups. Did that, so mission accomplished and now let it dry for 24 hours and then mark off the camo lines for the green.....

That's all for today and it's time for some cold ones. All comments and abuse cheerfully accepted and have a good evening, everyone....

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very nice indeed Allen. Can't wait for the green!

ATB. Andrew