Allen's SU-152 "Zveroboy" (Beast Slayer) Trumpeter 1/35

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Arhh those dreaded mud scrapers, sorry I didn't mention those Dude 1, thinking back I completely messed mine up , for got to fit them ! and had to remove the sprockets wheels and do it again when I went to put some Fruils on.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks John, I love that song! Something about snowberries I believe?
Pete
Yes something like that according to the comments, there's something about a mass choir in full voice . Think the soloist must be some well known Russian singer forced into uniform !

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes something like that according to the comments, there's something about a mass choir in full voice . Think the soloist must be some well known Russian singer forced into uniform !
Didn't he, along with many others of the ensemble, lose his life in a plane crash a couple of years ago? Certainly has/had a great voice.
I agree about the sound of a choir, but I'm Welsh so I would wouldn't I!
Pete

ps Update - yes, 64 of them died in a plane crash - I'm not sure if that included the soloist. RIP.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There was something mentioned about that , a great shame.
When people mention male voice choirs I always think either Russian or Welsh .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Not normally my type of music, but there is something about a choir, thanks Peter .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen let me wiggle through the Rabble and tell you it’s looking good and I like your bench too ok the Rabble is drowning me out see ya.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening All You _____________'s (fill in the blank),

Thanks so much guys. I'm still laughing. Work goes on at the table and I'm still finishing off the last hurdles for my retirement too. Retiring is really more stress than just going to work every day. Trust me.............Anyhoo,

Paul, Thanks my friend. Glad I haven't bored you to death yet and thanks for the heads up on the 3RO your building..........

Dave, It may be a beast, but what you're building is a MONSTER compared to mine. Hope you're doing much better now Sir........

Mick, That was good one buddy and I didn't know I had a balcony. In reality, I really wish I did have one. It's something I really miss....

Jim, So right about that Sir. I guess putting that in the destructions wouldn't be too politically correct though, but then again, it would help a lot of us "older" folks.............

Rick, Easy buddy!!! Where can you buy a bottle of Testors thinner for $1.25 these days???? I've only had some of these paint and stuff for over 25 years and they still work!!!.....

Tim, I would think you would need to listen to something a little harder than classical music when doing the tracks. Or maybe watch Snooker or Olympic Curling on the Telly. At least with the latter, you could concentrate on the tracks and not fall into a coma cleaning them up...........

Tony, No worries there Sir, I eat my chips out of the bag. They really aren't all that bad to clean up when you get into a routine doing the nasty....

Ian, I think that was a very suitably correct answer myself and I almost spilt my beer when I read it............

Paul, You're right there my friend, but take a look at Dave's T-35Monster tank and he's got a whole veranda on it. Hope all is well with you and yours in Downtown Ohio. Oh, and how's my Camaro doing???

Dude 2, What's all this Rooskie Bummskie music about??? Tim wants to do his tracks, not invade other countries ya know. It is shame about the plane crash though...........

Peter, Maybe you are confusing that with Strawberry Fields..........Or maybe not. He didn't look like one of the mop tops though.......

Lee, Thanks my friend. Yea, you know how we rabble gets, but ya gotta love it. Sorry to say that it's my table, or the end of it as I don't have a bench. Take care buddy..............

I have to admit, one of my favorite pieces of music from the Rooskie Bummskies' happened in Berlin in 1990, on Potsdammer Platz. Roger Waters did "The Wall" and the Soviet Marching Band Of East Germany, marched on the stage and played "Bring The Boys Back Home". They spent more time marching on and then off the stage than the total length of the song they played. Epic moment in 1990 and I still get goosebumps!!!!.......

Back at the ranch, I have still been working on the beast. Had to have a break from the tracks and decided to build the casemate. Lots of little parts. As all the hatches will be closed, it made life a bit easier,

IMG_2860.JPG
I used the kit barrel to line up the the mounting of mantlet's for the alu barrel. The fit of all the other parts were pretty much perfect and posed no probs at all. There are some more to add later,

IMG_2861.JPG
The grab handles still have to be put on the sides. For the one on the rear, I found it easier to drill the mounting spots out slightly. This gives a better hold after gluing them on and less chance of you knocking them off when handling it. It's all good and so far I have only looked at a reference once. Here's why,

IMG_2862.JPG
The two lifting hooks on the the gun mantlet.....The destructions are not clear where they actually go and the base of them is too big. I trimmed them up and glued them where the reference photo showed them on the real beast. Also, the muzzle brake is a tad too long and I'm still mulling over whether to shorten it or not. I don't want to go too crazy on the refinements as this is an OOB build and I don't want to get into super the detailing thing........

NEWS FLASH........................The nightmare is almost over,

IMG_2863.JPG
What's sitting on the table are the last of the links to be cleaned up.........Yes folks, you read that right.......And I still have my sanity (I think)...

That's all for now as it's time for a cold one. Thanks again for looking in and trying wanting to improve my musical taste. All C, C and abuse are accepted, with payment of course........Have a great week and stay safe........

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Allen.... And that's just your paint collection!!

In seriousness that is coming on very nicely indeed. Very well done.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great Allen. Glad yours is going together well…..so is mine. I tend to replace handrails with pin wire. I actually find it quicker than cleaning up the fragile parts supplied with a kit.

However, are your instructions a little “unfinished”. Mine are. I have found the occasional error in numbering, some of the parts locators are just not there on the mounting parts, and the assembly order is just weird…..
if I followed the build order to the letter I would be building ten of the twelve roadwheel sets, then the drive sprockets….and then the link and length tracks. Once I had the tracks finished I would be doing the idlers, return rollers, and the last wheel set??? That’s just not possible is it? Me, I’m doing all the wheels, then I’ll think about the tracks….
It is a good kit, but not one I’d recommend to a beginner. Anyone inexperienced might well be confused by the instructions and put off.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Berlin in 1990, on Potsdammer Platz. Roger Waters did "The Wall"
I’ve got pictures of the stage for that being built :smiling3: We were on holiday in East Germany at the time (my parents had said in late ’89: “We’re going there before the DDR ceases to exist”) and I recognised the construction for what it was, so I took a few photos as we drove past.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Thanks Paul. I like to use wire for grab handles too, but these would be too hard to make. I recently bought the Trumpeter clamp set to make them. Haven't tried it out yet......

Thanks too Andrew, I've amassed a collection of paints over the years. I still rely on some of the old stuff and they work well after all these years.....

Tim, I looked at your kit's destruction sheets on Scale Mates and you are right....They are a soup sandwich for sure. They look like something from Dragon. You have a few of the same sprues in that kit like I do, but they are lettered/numbered differently. I also see that you have no etch and have link and length tracks too. You're a lucky dog Tim!!! Double check carefully, as sometimes you have to drill out a hole from the inside to mount parts. I made that mistake twice, but it worked out ok. My destructions would also have you make holes on the opposite side from where the parts actually go, but there were no starter holes. Then you look at the other side and there they were...Huh!!!! We just have to love this hobby!!!........Drive on!!!

Jakko, if you have any copies of the photos, please post them up here if you can. It would be a great flashback to see them......

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Thanks Paul. I like to use wire for grab handles too, but these would be too hard to make. I recently bought the Trumpeter clamp set to make them. Haven't tried it out yet......

Thanks too Andrew, I've amassed a collection of paints over the years. I still rely on some of the old stuff and they work well after all these years.....

Tim, I looked at your kit's destruction sheets on Scale Mates and you are right....They are a soup sandwich for sure. They look like something from Dragon. You have a few of the same sprues in that kit like I do, but they are lettered/numbered differently. I also see that you have no etch and have link and length tracks too. You're a lucky dog Tim!!! Double check carefully, as sometimes you have to drill out a hole from the inside to mount parts. I made that mistake twice, but it worked out ok. My destructions would also have you make holes on the opposite side from where the parts actually go, but there were no starter holes. Then you look at the other side and there they were...Huh!!!! We just have to love this hobby!!!........Drive on!!!

Jakko, if you have any copies of the photos, please post them up here if you can. It would be a great flashback to see them......

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69
Yep, forgot the holes on the front plate Allen :loudly-crying: Didn’t make any difference though, the slot that’s also supposed to locate the appliqué armour part wasn't there anyway LOL…

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Speaking of goosebumps, Carmina Barana always makes me want to go rescue maidens or subdue invaders, even if played poorly. A couple good ones are conducted by Orff, one in the US with a huge chorus at Temple College I think & one W/Sudjc Simfonijski arkestar Hor RTS.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice boy, good boy, Zveroboy...oh boy. I wonder if the Italeri and Trumpeter kit are similar in construction? For one the tracks are the usual Italeri type and no turned aluminium barrel.

Cheers,
Richard

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69
Allen if I'd have known you could have had my trumpeter clamp benders ,perhaps I've been using them wrong but quicker and easier to just use pliers and the kit part as a pattern. Perhaps brass rod is too strong for them but you'd have to source copper in diffrent gauges or wobbly lead wire let us know when you use them mean time I'll stick with my pliers, oh and good work so far having just done this one in 72nd looking forward to what seems a monolithic piece of plastic. Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Speaking of goosebumps, Carmina Barana always makes me want to go rescue maidens or subdue invaders, even if played poorly. A couple good ones are conducted by Orff, one in the US with a huge chorus at Temple College I think & one W/Sudjc Simfonijski arkestar Hor RTS.
Wow, old spice alert…..I’ve got the Orff version on disc. It’s superb! For goosebumps though nothing beats the first orchestral tutti in the Elgar Cello concerto played by Du Pre. Absolutely spine tingling :thumb2: