Allen's SU-152 "Zveroboy" (Beast Slayer) Trumpeter 1/35

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Recessed ends, straps, buckles, carry handles. And in my case, the diameter...... other than that, they are perfect Gerry. :tongue-out3: ;):thumb2:
So they're quite poor - not having done a Russky tank for 50-60 years (and that would have been a 1/72 Airfix) my ignorance is vast as to what they should look like.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I don't trust the manufacturers... I've been burned too many times. Lots of photographs and dimensional data are the most useful of tools but in the end it all boils down to what looks right to you. :thumb2:
Rick H.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I'm with Richard when he says those are vodka kegs, and concerning their external aspect, I think that what's inside is what really matters... :tongue-out3:
A fascinating build, Allen but, if I may, your approach to the "fender-idler-tracks affair" is a risky business: when I tried it on my Ariete, I was lucky I had the very flexible OOB vinyl tracks and that the space between the wheels and the fenders was just sufficient to slide them in place, but I think mine was more luck than sense:cold-sweat:. With the Friul tracks my set of xxx rated words and swearing wouldn't have been up to its task. :tongue-out:
Andrea

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Coming together nicely Allen, as for the work on the wheels, at least it isn't a Tiger.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice, whats not to love about this a great Stug crusher, ( sorry Bob :smiling3: ) and any other German piece of armour it could devour. It was not even equipped with Amour Piecing shell, but could easily take off the Tiger turret at any range . Nice :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Allen.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mmm thought you'd done another post Dude 1.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Morning from the RBB Factory #69,

Rick, Mark, Richard, Tim, Gerry, Lee, Andrea, Graeme, Dude 2 and Andrew. Thank you all for your kind and interesting comments. Sorry, but I am just going to do a general synopsis here.....

First, the tracks....I got confused in my post and thanks to Andrea's comment, I saw that I had said I would leave the idlers loose to fit them under the fenders. What I meant to write was, I will leave the return rollers loose and mount the top row together with them. That way they should fit with no probs after they're painted......

Next, the vodka/beer kegs...They did look rather bland in the pic. As I'm not going to go crazy and keep this build (pretty) much OOB, I decided, if anything, to only add fuel lines. Here is what they look like from all angles,

IMG_2874.JPG
They do have some detail and need more love. A set of scratch handles and new straps would make them look better. Dirt/stains will maybe play a factor on these, or??? Damn, now I'm having second thoughts........Moving on.....The kit doesn't have a lot of etch and I used what was left for the fender brackets and the rain guard,

IMG_2871.JPG
The 2 on the bottom right, were a real beatch to fold as the small end lips wouldn't play right and the etch is rather thick. In the end I won the battle...I also added some other details and eventually we got to this,

IMG_2875.JPG
The tough etch pieces are under the tow cables on the fender. I added the grab handles and you can see they are of two different thickness. The rear set are thinner than the forward set. Go figure....Another pic,

IMG_2876.JPG
The casemate needed some tough love to get the front to sit flat on the front hull plate. Lots of slicing, dicing, scraping and sanding finally got the job done and she sits flush. The kit includes a 16cm piece of brass wire for the tow cables. Just cut it in half and CA the ends into the eye hooks, done deal.....Not too much more to do before we move into the RBB Factory #69.5 which is the paint hall. In there, we are going to be shooting a lot of your favorite color through the hissy stick. Yup, 4BO folks!!! (sorry Bob)...

I apologize again for not answering everyone individually and thank you all again for your interest in the "Beast". It's a fun kit and goes together really well. Have a good one and all C, C and abuse are most welcome...

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69

PS, Dude 2, I couldn't keep my eyes open to post this last night...........

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice looking run-around you've got there Dude1.
Also nice work on the fender PE use, seeing yours might make me think again.

Give those fuel drums a break buddy, nothing special there, bit like a sausage dog with a brkt instead of legs. They did the job admirably, and being made in the Motherland they are purely functional. :smiling3:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen nice updates and get some sleep

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s coming on really well Allen. The bling on yours lifts it quite nicely. There isn’t any on mine unfortunately…..I see what you mean regarding the beer kegs as well….I‘ll need to find some pictures to enable me to upgrade though.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on very nicely indeed Allen. Very well done.

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice tow cables Allen......some serious progress with the etch too..........keep 'er going pard! :thumb2: Rick H.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn All,

Sorry that I have been absent for a while and late answering. I thought retirement would be easier and give me more forum time.....NOT!!! It should get better shortly though. I have been at the table in a huge orgy of plastic too........

Thank you all for the kind words and comments. I have actually gotten somewhere with the Beast as our weather did turn sunny for a few days. Can you say paint???

IMG_2896.JPG
My own mix of 4BO using Tamiya paints. 30% dark yellow and 70% nato green mixed 50% with IPA. I must say it sprayed smooth as silk with no probs. Did use quite a bit of paint to cover the Beast though,

IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG
And I didn't forget the tow cables or the roadwheels either,

IMG_2900.JPG
It's now on to paint the tracks, put them on and muck this puppy up a bit.........I also didn't do any pipe work on the beer kegs or make them pretty too. Too much other stuff going on...........
Thanks again to you fine folks and hope to have an update before the years end GB is over.

Na Zdorovie (Prost)
Allen(ski) Pres.
RBB Factory #69.5 (paint hall)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Niiiice!

Great paint work, Allen. Looking good.

Ron

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That looks really good Allen. Nice and green :thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Just beautiful Allen, looking to what's coming next and good luck with the tracks.:thumb2:

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Looking good. Will wait patiently for the next update :thumb2: