Allen's (V2) F-108 Cable Reel Trailer for SimonT

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Allen, wonderful scratchery on the tyres.
Wish I had the etch and technique back in the old days making my Honda Cub.

Great patience you have holding the disc together for an hour to set :tongue-out3:. Like me being a one off project I would have done the same and scratched all the tyres where else others would have made a master and cast the rest...for you I think Olga had something to do with it ;)

I must get to know your Pharmacist whose prescription for painkillers is rather unorthodox...take two swigs of beer and a glass of wine after a meal of scratchery...hhmmm.

Besides Olga has Simon introduced you to anyone else? C'mon take them out of the closet and show us. :smiling6:

Regarding you travel documents, I bet travelers get a kick seeing you dress like that at immigration to match the photo in your passport? :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Allen. Nice scratch and it’s looking great

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Good Evening Glue Slingers,

Ok, so another week has gone by and it's time to bore thrill you all with more of my modelling prowness nonsense. Every time I want to post an update, it's usually too late at night or I fell asleep. Sound familiar........Anywho,

Mr. Benson - Thanks Si and guess what what??? Your crossed fingers worked!!! See below my friend........

Rick - Ha!!! You know I woke up the next day and we had 4cm of snow on the ground. And here was Olga still laying on the table and me freezing. As far as Olga goes, think of Bryan Adam's song "Cuts Like a Knife" and see below too.........

Joe - How are you Buddy??? I don't think mine can compare to Michelin's and I'm afraid they don't come in your size either. Thanks......

Tim - You know me. I'm just one of the 10,000 comedians out of work Sir!!! I aim to please and your aim helps. Oh, and beautiful it ain't.....

Peter - Thank you my friend, but let's forget about the clever..........

Richard - You're killing me Bro and I love it. I really enjoy scratchy and the challenge it brings. Resin casting is a dark art to me, but one day I will give it a go. Simon gave us all so many tips and help. I do miss him...A lot. As far as my Pharmacist. I play that myself, but in moderation. I have a 2 drink rule. The first one and the last one!!! What's in between doesn't count...Never had a prob with Immigration as long as I check my sword and pistols in before I board the ship...............

Lee - Thank you Sir and I truly hope you are doing a whole better now and getting back to your old self. Please take care.....

After the last episode where the Walton's were going into town for the county fair I thought I had two matching tires...NOT............They were of different diameters and that bugged the heck out of me, so I made another one and finally got it right. Look at the top 2,

IMG_2275.JPG

And the sidewall/tread diameter difference on the bottom one. Big difference! Now I'm satisfied and can move on to better things. Next up was the dividing floor between the top and bottom compartments. After careful measurements, we came up with this,

IMG_2280.JPG

Damn I hope I got it right on the first try! Time for a test fit,

IMG_2277.JPG

Yeah baby!!!!! Looooooking Goooooooood!!!! So now we have our 8 compartments for the reels. but will they fit on the shelves????

IMG_2281.JPG

Yup, they do!!! That's right, I didn't glue the shelf so I can work on the bottom level and after all of the reels are in place, I can slide the shelf in and then glue it. Mama didn't raise no dummies..................Sometimes I'm not sure though. Now, it's time for a little comparison between my earlier effort (rescued from the bin for these purposes) and this puppy here,

IMG_2278.JPG

Hmmm, there is a huge difference me thinks!!! On the old one you can see where the tires sit on the top right in the rails. Also on the old one, they were too high (the compartments, not me) and not wide enough. This time, I will have 6 compartments open instead of 5 on the old one. This is what the real thang looks like in case you don't remember,

F 108 Cable Trailer Large.jpg
I have room for the support poles between the reels on the bottom too. I had given thought to making the doors work on hinges, so I could close the whole thing up if I wanted to, but ran out of beer. Moving on to the divider uprights for the compartment walls. These are made of 2mm U pieces of evergreen strip. Hey, wake up there in the back dammit....

When I attempt this stuff, I like to listen to some fine classic rock from back in the day. While making the uprights, I turned on/up one of my favorite albums by The Who, "Quadrophenia" and I learned something once again. Don't sing along with the music when making precision cuts in plastic,

IMG_2282.JPG
On the left, you see the uprights I notched in the RPToolz cutter while singing. Measured out wrong and I had to make new uprights. Just humming to the music, I notched the middle 6 perfectly in the cutter. The one on the right...well, this happens when you do a famous Roger Daltrey scream while singing when using the cutter....Lesson learned......Lastly,

IMG_2283.JPG
2 of the uprights test fitted in place on the right. These will have the latches to hold the doors closed and the pole mount to hold the upper doors open. I have to fit these tidbits in the middle of the uprights in a 3/4 mm space as each door has a lip around it,

F 108 Front Compartments.jpg
Look at the top door above to get an idea of what I mean. Happy days ahead for me!!!!!

That's all for now folks as It's time for bed. Thank you for looking in and all C, C and C is welcome. The next episode will be, with luck, this weekend, if work doesn't kill me first.......

Now I wonder if John-Boy got lucky at the county fair..........................................

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's all good Allen, great progress there on the shelving etc. Too bad about the wonky tire sizes......thought you had Olga figured out and she slipped you a "Mickey" when you were otherwise occupied. ;) I'll stay tuned to see how you make out with the "Doors".....I liked them better than the "Who"..........:rolling:
Scholl, Rick H.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Allen

Apologies missed the update.

Looking very good indeed!

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming along nicely Allen. Scratchery shows exactly how the vehicle was constructed.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
This is wonderful work. Love those wheels - skill and patience. You really are making a cracking job of this.
..... and promptly fell asleep while reading my mails.
That is perfect for a Simon T tribute build, he regularly dropped off at the bench :tongue-out3:
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is some outstanding scratchery, Allen. PaulE

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Great progress Allen, the pictures of the real thing make sense of the parts you're scratch building & the work you have to do. It's an interesting build & you don't appreciate how much the Germans put into their 'Wunderwaffe'.

therapy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Great work Allen! Looks like it'll be a bu**er to paint though with all those cubby-holes and doors....

Nick

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dude 1
Watching with interest .
Dude 2

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Folks,

Yea, it's me again and time to give you a little update on this critter. Rick, Andrew, Tim, Jimbo, PaulE, Graeme, Nick and Dude 2, sorry for not personally answering each of you. I do thank all for the support and your great comments and will answer some things as we go.....

I spent the most part of my table time (don't have a bench) on Saturday studying my whopping 6 pictures of this trailer. I wanted to try and get an idea of how the reels slid out and how the rail system itself worked in the compartments. After about 5 hours and mistaking dust spots on my screen for parts, I came up with a pretty good idea how to make a rail system. My plan is to have 3 compartments with the ability of the reels to be moveable, slide out and drop down, like the real trailer. And folks, there was no alcohol involved in this fit of madness!!!!

First I rummaged through the etch stash and then broke out the RPToolz cutter and went to town. Here's what we got together,

IMG_2285.JPG

The pieces on the left are the rails for the 6 open compartments. Each one has 4 rails and the front 2 compartments only have 2 each. The rails are Evergreen 1.5mm I-beam pieces. On the right are the pieces for the hinged drop down reel holders. They are from 1.5mm U-beam pieces. The etch will be the hinges and I used some of the pins from the trailer kit too. Ok. I know it's boring!!!! But, here's what I got,

IMG_2286.JPG

Hinged rails that will slide in and out of the trailer with a reel and drop down. I will also make the rear reels behind the 3 working ones slide forward too.....No, I'm not intoxicated!!! I have at least 2-3 weeks of free time over the holidays to make this all work just like the real thing.

This will also give me the time to create 6 hinged doors that will open and close too. YUP, lost my mind and and will be going whole hog here. Time to get serious in my old age!!! And, just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...........NOT, Olga will once again be put back to work as I want to show what/how this trailer was used for and I ordered another set of this,
IMG_1897.JPG

I got it from the Kit Cupboard in the UK as there are none here to be found. This Aber set is from 1999 and phased out. Each trailer had 2 reel carts hung on the back and they were used to roll out the cables at the launch site. They look like this,

F 108 Kabel Anh. Gr..jpg

Yes Sir, I will be scratching these too, with one hanging and one on the ground with the wheels on it and a reel set in place. I could have Rudi getting ready to pull it around if I have a suitable fig in the stash. Damn, did I say figs????

This will be a real beatch to paint inside and hairy sticks are the only option. I can spray the outside with the doors closed and the undercarriage too, but that's kind of a long way off now. All the little crap details have to be finished first.

Thanks again for looking and please stay safe. All comments good, bad or disgusting welcome!!!

Prost
Allen

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Going great guns here Allen. The planning is almost as precise as the building.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Peace Allen, I've gone down this rabbit hole before. It is way fun to mess around w/when done, but the novelty is lost on most. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Allen
Madness, total madness to take this on.
However you are certainly doing a great job with great research. You are definitely going to end up with a unique model.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hinges, wheels, flaps, reels.......Holly smokes man, your blowing my mind with all this scratcherry :dizzy::dizzy:!!

I bet you’ll finish this and they’ll bring out a kit of it :smiling5:
Great to see the project still rolling forwards, some lovely work buddy :nerd::thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Oh Sir.......I have a question Sir, ARE YOU CRAZY??? Look Man, I'm calling Matron and she will get you sorted. If you persist in this, I shall follow along to see how this goes as I might want to try it in 1/87 scale (NOT) sometime :tongue-out3: Seriously though........the lip you mentioned around the doors, in your previous post seems to indicate that they are a flush fit, probably for weather integrity.........is that how you see it? If so ,you will need a recessed opposing lip around the door frame for them to close against except at the hinge point so they open freely. Have fun and keep us posted, Rick H.:thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There is little hope of returning to a normal life after this, as Rick has said Matron is indeed packing her bags as I write.
She is of course exempt from any lock down and tier numbering or borders. Est time of arrival is tomorrow pm.