An American Spy Ship?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Richard

Just caught up on this. It's truly amazing what you've achieved so far! Keep up the good work.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks Andrew for the encouragement. Been at it for a month now. Still mucking with the railings but will have some updates on the rear deckhouse soon.
Thanks for dropping in...noticed you went through the pages.
I have up till now put up 23 antenna aerials and are like hypodermic needles so have to be careful not to get pricked. No camoflage will be able to hide the fact that this is a surveilance spy ship. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Sun is out like every other day and my lotus is blooming...

20200812_111651.jpg
Ok enough of that...back to the build...below is what I did without refering again so I removed that wire conduit and re-did that whole section.

20200809_233020.jpg
20200813_210300.jpg
Extra aerials added along with some stowage on the aft platform and ducts and protrusions along the side of the rear deck house.

20200813_205237.jpg

You'll see a slight difference on both sides of the rear deck house facings.

20200813_210344.jpg

Then I finally did the railings to the forward deck house. Also finished the davit holders and will be attaching the boat separately after painting it.

20200813_205315.jpg
The Malaysian 10sen reference to the size of an English 5 pence.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Very pretty lotus flower. Hope the cats don't wreck it - they do seem to like to practice their hunting skills on things.
Ship just gets better and better.
Jim

First Name
Andrew
Richard,
Do you have something a bit more ‘international’ than the coin. I know it’s small but a coin can vary so much. It’s why I put my hands in photos. Loving all this fine fine detail, but because the enlargements are so clear it’s hard to imagine how tiny it is.
Andy

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Beautiful work Richard. USS Oxford is really coming together. Really looking forward to seeing this bristling with all the antenna.
Good stuff!
Cheers
Paul

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, Andy and Paul for comments most encouraging. :smiling3:

Jim, I have had a few run ins with the cats, fortunately because the parts are so tiny I find them attached to their fur.:smiling6:
Andy, my finger will be as international as it gets. I'm a Eurasian and have American Chinese, Shanghainese, Burmese, Swedish, Dutch and Singhalese ancestory. :tears-of-joy: I don't cover the Middle East or Latin America.
Good to have you Paul, a real porcupine this ship.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Tomorrow is vet day so I'll try for some bench time tonight...I'm just not looking forward to the couple of stairs over the weather breakers... they are quite short so the hand rails can pose a problem.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for that photo with the ruler Richard, hope the knocking off parts wasn't too painful rebuilding wise .
It gives the viewer something to connect with. It's actually smaller than I had imagined !

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No problem John, the ruler does give me something to think about regarding scale.
Sorry no updates as the idiot box force was strong last night.:hungry:
I am approaching page 10 where good old Tim 'God rest his soul' normally gets his build started...I break into a smile remembering how he agitates his paint tins by putting them in his pockets while going about the house. Real energy saving. :tears-of-joy::smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

• Haha
Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok a little update...I wrestled with the third mast just now for a whole 3 hours and its the best I could do...

20200815_222439.jpg

And thats my thumb next to it for size comparison.

20200815_222938.jpg
Don't wanna ever do it again :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Incredible and so tiny.
I remember Tim. Such a wonderful guy. His mum used to knit Teddy Bears for charity and my wife, who is a crazy, mad knitter, would send her parcels of left over wool.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks Jim, Peter and Andy for chyming in and catching up.
The Malay etiquete is to point with the thumb so no mis-interpretations. :smiling6:
I had some difficulty as the filament was very flimsy and will move at any bit of wind. It'a thinner than hair. I tried at first from the bottom up and couldn't stick the end down tight enough so I reversed the sequence but again made the mistake of attaching the remaining 8 at one go...they all got tangled with the next gust of wind from the fan. Spent more time untangling then attaching the other ends.

Cheers
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John