Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Well sir. You have definitely cracked the paint jobs. Looking very good.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
No sweat Andy.......I was able to do it in 1-87 scale so you should be OK......just be patient and mind your A/B pressure. Looking forward to the next update. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Andrew
Well sir. You have definitely cracked the paint jobs. Looking very good.
Jim
No sweat Andy.......I was able to do it in 1-87 scale so you should be OK......just be patient and mind your A/B pressure. Looking forward to the next update. :thumb2:
Coming on a treat,paints looking good.

Thanks chaps! Glad you're liking it.

Rick - I'm hoping it will be ok! I've got my testing plastic yoghurt pot ready to hand to get plenty of practice on first!!!

Hoping for an update later this week!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok chaps, so a sneak close up preview of the planned camo patterns.

In the case of kit no. 2, which quite a bit is known about the pilot of, I have found a photo supposedly of it online from a book on JG 300 by Lorant and Goyat (?) (possibly Part 1 and possibly the French version???)

As I noticed from the 1/32 build I'm using for reference purposes and the photo, the splinter camo on the top half of the fuselage does not have a very hard bottom edge as the destructions suggest. I therefore might have a go at seeing if I can soften it bit using mottling in RLM 76 but we'll see.

Pictures below...

ATB

Andrew

The planned camo for kit 1 - location and pilot(s) unknown:

Kit 2 as flown by Manfred Dieterle - the destructions and allegedly the real thing:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Wow Andrew, I love the second version flown by Dieterle........also it is quite different in it's overall scheme if you look at it closely.
Much preferred over the one shown in the kit. You are doing a super job on yours and i'm looking forward to the "mottling" :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Does Popeye know she's two-timing?
More seriously, what's the olive oil for?

Nice paintwork on the model!
Pete
Hi Pete,

Not sure TBH on the Olive Oil cheating front!! ;) :smiling5:

In all seriousness, when I very first got my my own airbrush the owner of the small forum I was on at the time was very helpful on all kinds of fronts. He explained that at the end of a full strip down he would put a single drop of olive oil on a piece kitchen towel, let it soak in and then lightly drag the needle through to lubricate it. I have also found it very useful recently when it came to a sticky AB trigger, not having proper AB lubricant to hand.

And if course thanks for the support on the paint job!!!

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow Andrew, I love the second version flown by Dieterle........also it is quite different in it's overall scheme if you look at it closely.
Much preferred over the one shown in the kit. You are doing a super job on yours and i'm looking forward to the "mottling" :thumb2:
Thanks Rick, it does look good.... I'll do my best but at this scale a 'representation' is the best I'll be able to do.

ATB.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So the mottling and lines/stripes were next.....and to be honest they've made me come closer to chucking a kit/kit away than I ever have been before.

In part because the RLM 74 and 75 point blank refused to play ball when it came to nice fine lines.......it was fine on my 'test' yoghurt pot but any time I went near the kit it went !$^%$£%$£!.

The second part was because my recollection of the Dieterle plane camo job was the opposite of what it actually was....which is very little mottling down the side.....couple that with the lack of fine lines, it looks like a real dogs dinner.... :tired: :tired: :crying: :crying:

The grey lines on the all blue kit 1 were so broad in places that I even used some RLM 76 to go down the sides and narrow them a bit to tighten it up....and guess what, the RLM 76 behaved almost perfectly....

I've decided to persevere with it though, in part because it's not the kits' fault but also so I can look back on them one day as a step in the learning process.

The wheel wells, inside of the under carriage flaps and undercarriage have all had a coat of RLM 02, which again went fine!

Anyway for better or worse the next progress shot is below.

ATB.

Andrew

PS I did think about stripping them back but I've decided leave them as is - I want to get them across the line as the Mossie GB has started.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I find that to get my fine lines i have to highly dilute Vallejo paint with Vallejo flow improver and spray at about 10psi(ish). But to be honest Andrew i'd still be happy with your painting.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
We are our own worst critics. Add me to the growing list of those who think that those two are fine.
I reckon we have all had days when a gremlin gets into a pot of paint and then sticks it's finger in the nozzle of the airbrush - little buggers they are!! Well that's what I tell myself :rolling:
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I find that to get my fine lines i have to highly dilute Vallejo paint with Vallejo flow improver and spray at about 10psi(ish). But to be honest Andrew i'd still be happy with your painting.
Well,
I, for one, am blown away by both of those Andrew :smiling3:
Excellent stuff mate!
Andy
I'd be happy with that too
Pete
Me four mate. I’d be more than happy with that.
Let's make it unanimous! Me too! :thumb2: :thumb2:
I agree with all the rest. Nothing wrong with those two.
John.
We are our own worst critics. Add me to the growing list of those who think that those two are fine.
I reckon we have all had days when a gremlin gets into a pot of paint and then sticks it's finger in the nozzle of the airbrush - little buggers they are!! Well that's what I tell myself :rolling:
Jim
Jim
Sincerely - what's not to like?
Steve

Dear all

Thanks very much for the unequivocal support; it is appreciated. As Jim said, we are own worst critics but in my case I was so disappointed because I know I can do much better!

Alan - I tried my usual recipe using a different extender type medium which works very well on general spraying (and is much cheaper than Vallejo's flow aid). I'll try their own flow aid for fine lines next time and see how I get on

Further pics to follow shortly!

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evening all!!

So I managed to get the 'black' undersides done. As discussed previously, I've gone with an off-black/very dark grey to account for the scale, I've gone with a mix of Vallejo's Model Air Black (71.057) and RLM66 Black Grey (71.055) at a ratio of 3:1.

I'll do a proper reveal when I get better light for the pictures but so far I'm very pleased with the effect.

Below are some pictures of it ready and masked....probably very OTT but some of the 'black' had to be sprayed at the sides immediately under the engine and I've learnt the heard way of not masking properly.......

FYI, the black stuff in the wheel wells is AK's Camouflage Elastic Putty. I've had it for over 18 months but never used it. I tried putting a piece of sponge in but it wouldn't stay. This worked really well, and so I'll be using it next time. It also helps to show that the 'black' undersides really aren't black

ACW as usual.

Andrew

----------------------------------------------------------

All masked up

Initial shots....