Andrew's 2x AZ Model Bf 109 G-6 - JG300 'Wilde Sau' (The Hunters and the Hunted)

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow, really great work there Andrew!!! The shading paint looks fantastic and on something so small. Keep it coming Sir!!!

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Wow, really great work there Andrew!!! The shading paint looks fantastic and on something so small. Keep it coming Sir!!!

Prost
Allen
beautiful mottling Andrew, these are gonna look fabulous under a splash of paint... :thumb2:
Excellent work Andrew. Top class airbrush control for that mottling :thumb2:

Thanks chaps. I was really pleased with how it went. I was even lucky in that I managed to hit the right pressure/paint consistency balance with minimal fuss. I was a bit worried about getting really close to the kit and paint running away from me and so I was a bit too far away, hence one of the wings not being quite so tight but under a coat of paint you won't see it.

The worst bit was a bit of dry tip but I was probably pushing my luck a bit on that front because of how warm it was even late yesterday evening.

Thanks again for stopping by!!

ATB

Andrew

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Thanks again chaps for the support.

So kit no. 2 saw mottling this morning, again RLM76 Light Blue.

It took me a bit longer to get the consistency and pressure sorted, and the warm air caused quite a bit of dry tip but IMHO I think this second attempt was even tighter - in most places!!

I also did the undercarriage and tanks too.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

PS it's a bit lighter and bluer in real life.

PPS unfortunately the masks have started to lift at the back but I'll have to deal with that later.

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morning all

So yesterday saw more RLM 76 fly....in the case of kit 1, all over the upper surfaces and sides, in the case of kit 2 sides only because of the rest of the camo that will be applied.

Really pleased with how they turned out. At this scale - 10ft viewing distance in real life equates to 720ft in scale life - I figured the mottling would probably be a lot more subtle than in larger scales and I think I've achieved that - interestingly real life is a bit more mottled than you see in the pictures.....I think Ian or Colin had the same issue recently.

Looking at it this morning, the starboard sides and tail plane of kit 1 need a light coat to more closely match the port side. I thought that might be the case yesterday but didn't want to risk losing too much of the mottling affect.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Morn Andrew,

Really nice paint there Sir and the mottling shows through too!!! Wow, top job, but I thought you were going to meet up with the convicts in St. Ives today........

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Morn Andrew,

Really nice paint there Sir and the mottling shows through too!!! Wow, top job, but I thought you were going to meet up with the convicts in St. Ives today........

Prost
Allen
Thanks Allen. Glad you like it!!

And yes I am but I was up early and am only an hour away and so had time to post the pics..... I'll be off on about 20 minutes.....

.....I've even had time for a couple of pancakes using the mix left over from yesterday's breakfast pancakes!!! YUMMY!!!!:smiling::smiling:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok chaps, so kit no. 2 has seen the base coat of Model Air RLM 75 (71.259).

I'm really pleased with how it's turned out TBH, albeit the nose is probably a bit too well covered.

The starboard rear tail plane sticky out thingy (can't remember what it's called) is a bit on the light side at the tip but it's accentuated by the direction of the evening sunlight and in any case will be covered by the next, darker paint layer.

ACW as usual.

Andrew

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Modellus Biblicus (MKJV**)

The Book of Sprues Ch 1 vs 24-30

And so it came to pass that by the thirteenth day the Modelling Gods had made the liquid that doeth change the colour of plastic, the device that dost squash the very air beyond all belief and the stick that doeth hiss like the serpent.

On the sixth day the Gods spoke forth in union, with a sound that shook the foundations of the very universe, saying.........."Let there be primer!!!!"

And lo the primer did come forth in great abundance from the stick that doeth hiss. As it came forth, it spread and settled on the plastic forms that stood before all of creation. And when the Modelling Gods saw the the primer settle they were awe and it agreed that it was most excellent!!!

And behold, there was great rejoicing within the heavenly stash. Great choirs of cherubim and seraphim sung the Modelling Gods' praises, for the dreaded enemy of the Gods, The Tip that Drieth, had not commeth to pass!!!

Then the Gods said "Let the Fourteenth day be a day of rest". This was to allow man and the device that dost squash the air to regain their strength. But above all it was to let the primer cureth to it's fullest extent, lest the bonds of plastic and primer that the Modelling Gods had ordained before the beginning of time be broken beyond repair."

Here endeth the lesson.

Your opinion on the forms below would be most welcome.

Thy most humble servant.

Andrew of the Order of the Bull the dost Charge

**Modelling King James Version. Used with permission.

........................OK so now I've got that out of my system. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. FYI I used Vallejo primer.

Any imperfections are done to the build process.

All comments welcome as usual.

ATB.

Andrew

Andrew I think after this a visit from Matron may well be due !

Love the paint work , you've certainly taken it to another level .Well done .

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Mottling looks good Andrew, and your grasp of wingy thing technical language is top notch.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice,the mottling has worked out well.
Andrew I think after this a visit from Matron may well be due !

Love the paint work , you've certainly taken it to another level .Well done .
Mottling looks good Andrew, and your grasp of wingy thing technical language is top notch.

Thanks chaps, glad you like. As I said I'm pretty pleased.

John, fortunately Matron has clearly not read that post!! ;) :smiling5:

Tim, glad you like the technical language.....I had a completely memory lapse at the time of my post..... All I need to do is try to work out what the sticky out things either side of the cockpit are!!!!;):smiling5:

'Unfortunately', no update this evening or tomorrow as Junior and I are Tank Fest tomorrow....Arrived in hotel after a reasonable journey half an hour ago.

ATB.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
So all masked up ready for RLM74.

The destructions and a 1/32 build I've found online of this aircraft have slightly different variations of shape of the splinters and also differences between which bit is RLM75 and which is RLM74, so I've done a mix of the two to my own taste.... Just don't tell anyone......

The only picture I've found online is from the side and so it doesn't help.

ATB

Andrew

IMG20220626125140.jpg

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Nice masking Andrew!!! Must be great that a roll of masking tape will last you a lifetime in this scale..............

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looks good Andrew.
Nice masking Andrew!!! Must be great that a roll of masking tape will last you a lifetime in this scale..............

Prost
Allen
Thanks chaps!!

Indeed, the masking tape should last a while.....my rationale is that savings on tape can be diverted to kits! :smiling5:

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Evening all

Any way so I managed to get the RLM 74 on this afternoon. I tried to keep the mottling showing through by doing some in RLM 74 first but it wasn't entirely successful, although it is better in real life.

I'm also conscious that the demarcation on the splinter should be soft and not hard but discretion was the better part of valour.

Next up I need to apply the RLM 74/75 blotches and squiggles.

ACW as usual.

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking great to me Andrew. Loving this build. Have fun with the mottling :smiling3:
Thanks Alan, glad your liking it.....as for the mottling I'm having nightmares doing it at this scale..... :tired: :crying: .....as best I think it will be a 'representation' of what it supposedly looks like!

ATB

Andrew