BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John,
Looking very nice mate you certainly have a passion for this Russian armour.
Hi Paul, yes my favorite, ever since I read a book on Kursk as few years ago. Perhaps not the most reliable of vehicles, but built so fast to keep the Germans at bay Have always admired the way they worked so hard to build up the army after Stanlins decimated the top brass with his purges.

Hope you noted the micro strip I m sure you used it and told me at Peterborough
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the chassis. Good luck painting that lot!

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice work on the chassis. Good luck painting that lot!
Thanks mate,yes had realised that the painting is going to be fun. Will have to paint the cab by brush !

This will be put on hold for the minute, in discussion with Allen V2 about some wheels ands other goodies !
John.

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Shaping up nicely. Shifter looks like a 9"Hurst. Straight pins or music wire work great. Curt off the ball, drill a hole & stick on the pin. Make the appropriate bend & stick pin in hole in floor-presto, excellent shifter. PaulE

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Sorry JR, just caught up. Coming along nicely. Hope you go for the replacement wheel/tires as they look 10 times better than the box items. Cheers, Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Shaping up nicely. Shifter looks like a 9"Hurst. Straight pins or music wire work great. Curt off the ball, drill a hole & stick on the pin. Make the appropriate bend & stick pin in hole in floor-presto, excellent shifter. PaulE
Now that I like Paul, can do that tomorrow, then going to hand paint the inside. Thanks :thumb2:.

Sorry JR, just caught up. Coming along nicely. Hope you go for the replacement wheel/tires as they look 10 times better than the box items. Cheers, Rick H.
Hi Rick, I agree, replacements in the hands of one V2 rocket expert Von Dewire. who has located some in the Fatherland.

John.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been doing the odd bit here and there today while the tyres get ordered.

Decide to get as much of the stuff glued in groupings, I ve done some boxes, but tried with out the car body, do able but then the body would be harder to fit as they touch the body sides.

Dids add the radiator assembly, there were two options with some stays to either hold open the front maintenance doors covering the front of the rad or too have then shut. After all this time spent building the engine and rad I decided to have them open.
One set back was the holes in the brkts were tight, no way was I going to be able to enlarge then to allow some pins in , so dispensed with the plastic all together and am going to replace with some wire.
Even went as far as cross hatching the inside of the rad, don't know if it will be seem , but it did look better. :nerd:

IMG_4974.jpgR1.jpg

I noticed the brkt on the right had moved irs now back in line, those were the ones I was referring too .

IMG_4976.jpg R2.jpg
There was a slight misalignment with the rad and the hose, don't know why , but the next one I will fit the hose last. Hence the filler.

Right thats where I'm up too . Thanks for following and for the comments.

John.

Last edited:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Good looking build so far JR ..like the seats...what did you use again?

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Good looking build so far JR ..like the seats...what did you use again?
Hi Joe, thanks, I used some micro strip , the thing your get from the supermarket or in the states a drug store, a kind of woven self adhesive dressing tape.

IMG_20190427_211849819_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG_20190427_211921490_BURST000_COVER.jpgIMG_20190427_212005125.jpg

I'm sure Paul, below told me about it.

John,
Looking good fella coming on nicely.
Cheers Paul.
Thanks guys.
John.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Got a little done on the model, I removed the gear change as Paul E had suggested. Wasn't as easy as I had hopped, after cutting the stick part off I removed the knob, which made a bid for freedom, successfully I might add.
Not phased by such minor set backs I enlisted the help of a moulding piece, just about the same dia, starting with a .4 drill. then . 5 and the lastly about.7. I drilled straight through giving plenty of room for the glue, did the same for the end into the floor, soon had some copper wire in and bent to shape.
After giving the wire a coat of Mr Hobby metal primer I painted the inside with primer.
Photos of that tomorrow.

John .

First Name
Ross
John
Just caught this mate, looking good but I think you should've gone with the camo version.

cheers
Ross

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Looking smart John. That Paul is a clever one

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John
Just caught this mate, looking good but I think you should've gone with the camo version.

cheers
Ross
Thanks Ross, under pressure from the Rabble it's going to happen !
Looking smart John. That Paul is a clever one
Yes he's a smart modeller alright, lee I'd have never thought of that
John

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As my battery is about to run out in the phone I've up loaded these now, and will post from the pc.

Hi back on here.
As Paul had suggested some rework on the gear change .
IMG_20190428_141239131.jpg

IMG_20190428_141213653.jpg

Ok so the actual knob is still rather chunky, it was really hard to sand . but the shaft is much better.

Meanwhile I have been repainting some miniatures for Christine's collection, they will be going back into a very old Victorian Garden cloche . If any ones interested I will post it later.

IMG_20190428_141112309.jpg

At least some where to stand while they dry fully.

IMG_20190428_141104610.jpg

IMG_20190428_141100489.jpg

These are beautifully modelled using dried flowers , but over the years the sun had taken all the colours out , so re painting them bit by bit, I've done the trees on the top photo, these above just need the flowers repainting.Really interesting doing them . The roses on the trellis were fun , used some Russian 4 BO for the stems ! after I had painted the inside of the cab.

Right thanks for looking in, comments please.

John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Mr Race,
Good to see you having a go at the engine etc and coming along nicely it is too:thumb2:

Like the miniature flower displays, don’t envy you painting those petal individually :surprised:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Horticulture now? Well at least you're not setting fire to it......
The armoured car is looking good too.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, I too am occasionally blessed with small repair and upgrade projects for the missus. Seems my two daughters have piled on from time to time. What fun! Cheers, Rick H.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
"Ok so the actual knob is still rather chunky, it was really hard to sand . but the shaft is much better." - is it me or does this need censoring? :smiling5::smiling3:

Other than that the foliage is wonderful. Nice to see your better half is getting involved in your dios. It certainly adds a whole new dimension to your builds.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Mr Race,
Good to see you having a go at the engine etc and coming along nicely it is too:thumb2:

Like the miniature flower displays, don’t envy you painting those petal individually :surprised:
Ha, thanks Si, actually it's quite relaxing, if this modelling lark should get too much I could take up flower arrangement !
Horticulture now? Well at least you're not setting fire to it......
The armoured car is looking good too.
Hi Graeme, thanks for looking in, set fire to them, are you mad the management would not be impressed. :smiling2:.

"Ok so the actual knob is still rather chunky, it was really hard to sand . but the shaft is much better." - is it me or does this need censoring? :smiling5::smiling3:

Other than that the foliage is wonderful. Nice to see your better half is getting involved in your dios. It certainly adds a whole new dimension to your builds.
:smiling2::smiling2::smiling2::smiling2: damn it see what you mean now !
Yes roses on the walls trees in the street and the Russians and Germans knocking 7 shades of s**t out of each other , nothing like some greenery and flowers to add to the story !

Thanks guys, more from the flower shed tomorrow !
John .

Last edited: