BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There’s a lot better stuff now out there than mom’s old sewing thread I’m going to give it a shot
I use old telephone cable, like the one from the socket on the wall, pretty thin, and some coper wire from cable Lee.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks for reminding me John before I quit building model cars that’s what I graduated to plus I worked in the lead mines when I was 18 years old and I would sometimes use blasting wire

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks for reminding me John before I quit building model cars that’s what I graduated to plus I worked in the lead mines when I was 18 years old and I would sometimes use blasting wire
Arg Lead mines, wow that's some start to a working carers. :sad::surprised:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Arg Lead mines, wow that's some start to a working carers. :sad::surprised:
I was on the surface not underground John thank goodness . Was there for 2yrs then started driving my dad’s truck

Reactions: JR

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Am watching this one John for sure but my hunt and peck typing skills are quite laborious :rolling:
Hence my dearth of banter, just know I'm following along and enjoying this build.:thumb2:

Cheers, Jim :smiling4:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Am watching this one John for sure but my hunt and peck typing skills are quite laborious :rolling:
Hence my dearth of banter, just know I'm following along and enjoying this build.:thumb2:

Cheers, Jim :smiling4:
Nice of you to drop by Jim, that's quite alright as long as you enjoy it .
Neat work on another armoured car John.:thumb2:

Nice restauration work on the miniature flowers, man of many talents I see.:smiling6:
Cheers Fernando, coming together, Allen has kindly sourced the wheels, so waiting for those to arrive from the Fatherland .
Glad you like the flowers, wait until you see the whole set up. Just had the Victorian Garden Cloche back from the shot blasting and powder coating company, looks the dogs .
John,
Top work on the engine and drive train my friend.
Thanks Paul, I've really tried with this to get to grips with chassis, at least this one was pre moulded in one ! .
John
-------------------------------------
All that was accomplished today was a coat first thing of some mat varnish on the engine and inside the car.
Tonight I started the oil wash around the engine and did some work on those seats .
Some photos tomorrow .
John .

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It's taken until now to get a post done.
Spent some time this afternoon gluing small bits on can't do much until the wheels arrive.
Here are a few photos .

IMG_20190503_172201055.jpgIMG_20190503_172245909.jpgIMG_20190503_172305812.jpgIMG_20190503_172324579.jpg

Quite pleased with the outcome .

Thanks for looking in, any comments welcome .
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
JR, hope the wheels show up soon. This looks like it will be a good one.
Cheers, Rick H.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Forget the wheels John, get some tracks on it:smiling5:

Oil washes are looking good to me.
I think washes/filters etc help to enhance the paintwork and add a realistic look:thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good John :smiling3:.
Cheers Ralph.
John,
You should be pleased with that out come looks very nice.
Thanks Paul, just one thing I'd bothering me, there are some very strange thing pieces of plastic to cut off the sprue to go to the steering and rear brakes, not looking fwd to that section .
JR, hope the wheels show up soon. This looks like it will be a good one.
Cheers, Rick H.
Thanks, hope so Rick .
Forget the wheels John, get some tracks on it:smiling5:

Oil washes are looking good to me.
I think washes/filters etc help to enhance the paintwork and add a realistic look:thumb2:
Si, no don't say that :tired::smiling3::smiling3: Pity that the majority of it will be covered , but I'm going to leave the front covers open, one engine hatch and the cab door .
Hi John
That chassis and engine look excellent.
Jim
Thanks Jim.
Nice work on the fiddly bits John.
Cheers Peter, hope you got your glasses sorted .

John .
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing that made me smile, I painted the center console black, as no doubt it would have been, painstakingly did the decals and then looked again, quite honestly you can't see any difference. The markings on the dials are so small they hardly show .:smiling2:.
Another thing is the drivers two hatches, made up from 3 parts, 2 have numbers, the 3 rd nothing ! . Also at the rear of the car body is a spare wheel, in a small drawing on one of the later instructions pages . This drawing shows some rear brkts with a rail running across the rear of the car, but these aren't part of the kit , so why even show then ?

John .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Rolling chassis looking smart John.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Rolling chassis looking smart John.
Thanks Lee.
Did a bit more in the body work, cut the bonett open replaced with plastic card, managed some rivets. !

IMG_20190505_152306839.jpgIMG_20190505_152337527.jpgIMG_20190505_152337527.jpg
Makes all that effort on the engine worth it.
Thanks for following, comments welcome .
John .

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Great work John. Yes all the work on the engine would be in vain if you can’t see it.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Get work John. Yes all the work on the engine would be in vain if you can’t see it.
Thanks Lee, when I was thinking of what to do before the wheels turn up in a mad moment I thought open up the front part of the bonnet, hood in your case , the hinges were there so just cut with the saw and blade up to that line. Certainly gives more interest . Don't know if they had a stay to keep the thing open, but will make one out of some wire .
John .