BA -20 1/35 Scale Russian Armoured Car by Hobby Boss

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
JR, I too am occasionally blessed with small repair and upgrade projects for the missus. Seems my two daughters have piled on from time to time. What fun! Cheers, Rick H.
Nothing better Rick for getting those valuable points, unfortunately I am able to loose all of mine and gain - points with the look of an eye !
John .

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The Look that kills. Wonderful thing God didn't have Laser Beams on the list when he created
SWMBO or we would all be Bacon!

• Haha
Reactions: JR

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hello John 'greenfingers' Race,
Whatever next origami ????Sorry for the late comment but got your pm and not a problem, just let me know how it works out. The build is looking on course and in fine fettle.
Cheers, Mike.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Well John if it’s garden related I like it

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hello John 'greenfingers' Race,
Whatever next origami ????Sorry for the late comment but got your pm and not a problem, just let me know how it works out. The build is looking on course and in fine fettle.
Cheers, Mike.
Thanks Mike, yes anything to do with gardening and its likely to be in.Thanks re the pm still thinking about it, have a few question to ask later.
IMG_20190430_104504575.jpg
Just finished the recolouring yesterday.

Well John if it’s garden related I like it
Thanks Lee.:thumb2:

Looking good..but please no more discussions about knobs and shafts...
Right Joe, that's now on the banned list , management has decided.:smiling2:

John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't do a posting earlier yesterday evening as the site was still being upgraded, but this is where we have got to.

Painted the chassis and engine, quite a glaring error by HobbyBoss here they showed only two spark plugs. So without more ado I decided rather than just spot glue the wiring I'd drill the get a better guling point.Taking a .4 mm drill I drilled two extra holes for the " wire "plugs , then removed the existing two, after a quick sand if the cut tops I re drilled. Having done that I changed drill bits to a .5, this way I don't slip off line when drilling.

With this done 4 short lengths of wire wire glued into the head, followed by some thinner to the top of the arm.
Also drilled out the coil and took another cable to the distributor head. Don't suppose much of this will be seen even with the body in place but it was great fun doing it.

Steve had remarked about painting the chassis, how right he was !

IMG_4983.jpgC2.jpg

I 've done some research on the colour of engines, esp the GAZ, which was the main petrol engine used by the Russians. Most engines built for the military would have been in, yes you guess it, Russian 4 BO.
I did the head in this and decided the rest would have been pretty much unpainted, ie the gear box and transmission, with probably the axles in green

IMG_4984.jpgC4.jpg
IMG_4985.jpgC5.jpg

In between painting flowers I also did the interior of the car.

IMG_4979.jpgS1.jpg

The seats at this point have been done in acrylic, might touch them up later with some oli, the seat frames need to repainted as a little brown has got on them.

IMG_4980.jpgS2.jpg

You can see the unpainted section in the middle of the dash, well there is a very small centre with dials .
IMG_4981.jpgS3.jpg

I shall varnish this first with a fleeting pass and then do the decals, these should be fun and we may never talk of these again , :hungry::tongue-out3:

That's it for now, off on 1/1 shopping trip .

Thanks for looking in, comments as usual welcomed.

John .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
That engine's looking good, John :thumb2:
Thanks Neil, thought think the brightness of the natural steels is a littler too much, will try to find a flat version so it looks more like alloy .
John.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice pluming on the engine John!
The seats turned out nice too

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks Mike, yes anything to do with gardening and its likely to be in.Thanks re the pm still thinking about it, have a few question to ask later.
View attachment 339133
Just finished the recolouring yesterday.

Thanks Lee.:thumb2:

Right Joe, that's now on the banned list , management has decided.:smiling2:

John.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't do a posting earlier yesterday evening as the site was still being upgraded, but this is where we have got to.

Painted the chassis and engine, quite a glaring error by HobbyBoss here they showed only two spark plugs. So without more ado I decided rather than just spot glue the wiring I'd drill the get a better guling point.Taking a .4 mm drill I drilled two extra holes for the " wire "plugs , then removed the existing two, after a quick sand if the cut tops I re drilled. Having done that I changed drill bits to a .5, this way I don't slip off line when drilling.

With this done 4 short lengths of wire wire glued into the head, followed by some thinner to the top of the arm.
Also drilled out the coil and took another cable to the distributor head. Don't suppose much of this will be seen even with the body in place but it was great fun doing it.

Steve had remarked about painting the chassis, how right he was !

View attachment 339134

I 've done some research on the colour of engines, esp the GAZ, which was the main petrol engine used by the Russians. Most engines built for the military would have been in, yes you guess it, Russian 4 BO.
I did the head in this and decided the rest would have been pretty much unpainted, ie the gear box and transmission, with probably the axles in green

View attachment 339135
View attachment 339136

In between painting flowers I also did the interior of the car.

View attachment 339139

The seats at this point have been done in acrylic, might touch them up later with some oli, the seat frames need to repainted as a little brown has got on them.

View attachment 339140

You can see the unpainted section in the middle of the dash, well there is a very small centre with dials .
View attachment 339141

I shall varnish this first with a fleeting pass and then do the decals, these should be fun and we may never talk of these again , :hungry::tongue-out3:

That's it for now, off on 1/1 shopping trip .

Thanks for looking in, comments as usual welcomed.

John .
John,
Wondered what the noise was - these two strokes were never quiet, And nice to see some paint on the job... Ref questions just pm me and I will answer them if I can.
Mike.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looks like a proper engine now. Agree on trans etc. Beautiful gardening. Hope to see the end result. PaulE

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi John,
Cracking paintwork on the engine/chassis look great:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
One day with the forum being upgraded and I thought a gardening blog and an adult site had got mixed up with our own. All those flowers and talk of knobs and shafts. Quite embarrassing for someone of my delicate sensibilities :astonished:
Armoured car is coming on a treat. I like the engine and the seats.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The guys have said it all. Terrific work mate on the build and the flowers. Don't worry about the shiny engine. Give it a Black oil wash and it will be fine. If you can't be bothered to phaff around preparing it for oils you could probably get away with an acrylic black wash. Keep up good work

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice pluming on the engine John!
The seats turned out nice too
Thanks Lee, yes pleased with those seats.
John,
Wondered what the noise was - these two strokes were never quiet, And nice to see some paint on the job... Ref questions just pm me and I will answer them if I can.
Mike.
Cheers mate will do , as for the two stroke , can't believe someone could do that and it's not been picked up .
Looks like a proper engine now. Agree on trans etc. Beautiful gardening. Hope to see the end result. PaulE
Thanks Paul, will post the completed garden , mind you it's Christines really, I just repair the stuff .
Hi John,
Cracking paintwork on the engine/chassis look great:thumb2:
Thanks Si glad you approve.
Hi John
One day with the forum being upgraded and I thought a gardening blog and an adult site had got mixed up with our own. All those flowers and talk of knobs and shafts. Quite embarrassing for someone of my delicate sensibilities :astonished:
Armoured car is coming on a treat. I like the engine and the seats.
Jim
:smiling2::tongue-out3: Ha, Jim, quite sure you have a direct line to management, she had mentioned the adult site and said that maybe the ladies amongst us would disapprove. The fact is you all , including management have corrupted minds , I my self would never think of such things :smiling5:.
Thanks for the compliment on the car .
The guys have said it all. Terrific work mate on the build and the flowers. Don't worry about the shiny engine. Give it a Black oil wash and it will be fine. If you can't be bothered to phaff around preparing it for oils you could probably get away with an acrylic black wash. Keep up good work
Steve, thanks for your suggestions, will do the black oil wash, have plenty of time till the wheels arrive from Dude1. Just need to varnish the chassis first and get the decals on that console.

John .

Thanks gentleman. :thumb2:

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John I’m a little jealous I haven’t even got my Garden in yet this year due to the cold and rain the engine looks good I plan on plumbing my engine on my Kaiser truck build I haven’t wired an model vehicle since I was a teenager

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John I’m a little jealous I haven’t even got my Garden in yet this year due to the cold and rain the engine looks good I plan on plumbing my engine on my Kaiser truck build I haven’t wired an model vehicle since I was a teenager
Lee, looks like we're in for a cold spell in the next , that will put things back .
I enjoy do wiring from when I did my KV 2 , have a go you'll do a great job.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
There’s a lot better stuff now out there than mom’s old sewing thread I’m going to give it a shot