"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Shame about the sinkage Andy, it was looking so good. What filler did you use?
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers guys, bummer indeed.

I'm sure I'll be able to do something with it, but in the meantime, surf's up!

EpmnSaL.jpg

nTpi0Uv.jpg

gm09kC3.jpg

Hopefully it looks fairly realistic. I did much more research than I intended on the various shapes, fins, and upsweep at the front and rear. Masking was a bit tricky, fading the colour from front to rear less so. I haven't done as much with the upper surface as I'm intending the mount it on the roof rack.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry Pete, I missed your reply.

Dissolved sprue for the deeper/wider gaps and where I'd need to rescribe, then an automotive glazing putty and/or Mr Surfacer 500.

I was always worried about sinkage, and mentioned it earlier on. I'd have been much better waiting for a 2K putty that would have dried faster and never shrunk.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry to hear that Andy about the shrinkage, I’m having the same problem with the Jaguar kit bash I’m doing. That’s why I fill, sand then wait a day then prime, to see if all’s ok. Then sand fill and prime again if not. It takes some time but worth it in the end.
The camper van is coming along great guns, and I really like the extras you’re made to go with it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great surf board Andy, cowabunga.....
Dissolved sprue would be expected to shrink I suppose.....it has a lot of solvent to gas off. If you have any at home knife stopping is pretty good. Tamiya putty is basically the same stuff....

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
"Lets go surfin' now, everyboby's learnin' how"....Beautiful job on that board Andy. Don't sweat it too much, I have no doubt you are up to the task, and Bendy Bus will be sorted out and you'll have a story for the grandkids. LOL:thumb2:. Rick H.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
These little details are breathtaking Andy. With the board, the mugs, the gas canister etc...no one will notice a small sink mark here and there.

D

Deleted member 7181

Sorry to hear that Andy about the shrinkage, I’m having the same problem with the Jaguar kit bash I’m doing. That’s why I fill, sand then wait a day then prime, to see if all’s ok. Then sand fill and prime again if not. It takes some time but worth it in the end.
The camper van is coming along great guns, and I really like the extras you’re made to go with it.
Thanks Ian. I'm having to rely on the wife for inspiration on the accessories, but I'm really pleased with them too.

Great surf board Andy, cowabunga.....
Dissolved sprue would be expected to shrink I suppose.....it has a lot of solvent to gas off. If you have any at home knife stopping is pretty good. Tamiya putty is basically the same stuff....
Yes, the sprue goo had a couple of days between each layer. Clearly that wasn't long enough. Glazing putty / knifing stopper, same thing in my world and it was used to finish off every repair :smiling3:

Andy,
Really glad to know you are not giving up on this excellent build.
Cheers Paul, definitely not giving up, I'll just have to give it time to do it's thing.

"Lets go surfin' now, everyboby's learnin' how"....Beautiful job on that board Andy. Don't sweat it too much, I have no doubt you are up to the task, and Bendy Bus will be sorted out and you'll have a story for the grandkids. LOL
:thumb2:
. Rick H.
Thanks Rick. My airbrush splattered out a bit of blue as I was misting some thinner over to soften the masking lines before clear. I had to sand little blue spots out from the 1mm wide white lines :smiling5:

I'm a little surprised you don't have an adequate stock at home...
Pete
I don't really do any work from home since I don't have a garage. Much of my stuff is stored either at work or in a mates unit and I can't access either at the moment. I could have bought some but I'm loathed to pay full price lol.

These little details are breathtaking Andy. With the board, the mugs, the gas canister etc...no one will notice a small sink mark here and there.
Thanks Jack, glad you like them. I hear what you're saying about the marks, but they would annoy me forever if I didn't at least try and do something with them.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Shame about the filler shrinking. I have no doubt that you will get it sorted - just a few steps backwards to get there.
Love the surfboard.
Jim

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great short board w/scag. Spent 12 years in San Diego minutes from the beach. Never went beyond body surfing. Boogie boards don't count:smiling2:, but are great for the kids. Maybe a folded beach umbrella? PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I think I'm having more fun with the extras than the main event right now!

The wife did suggest an umbrella Paul but I wasn't sure how I'd recreate the stretched fabric. A folded one might be more possible though.

She's given me a few more ideas so at least I have a few things to work on :smiling3:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Don't forget the plastic ware, paper plates and napkins. Can't have a decent picknick without the basket and blanket either.....Oh, don't forget the floaties made from old inner tubes....beach ball, badmitten, croquett etc.......:tongue-out3::tongue-out2::tongue-out: The torture never stops:tired:

• Haha
D

Deleted member 7181

Some great suggestions there thanks Rick, some of which I might even be able to manage :smiling5:

I'm sure I'd be better at this and enjoy it more if I had a bit of imagination and creativity rather than just copying what other people do lol

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Knowing you Andy this is a minor set back with the shrinkage. You have the skills to sort it out.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andy, not going to say anything 'cos I know you'll be able to sort the problem being a real automobile painter yourself. :smiling2: For little dinks I use correction fluid or even CA glue.

For the umbrella material you can use apple paper, the ones used to wrap apples...unfortunately these days apples are wrapped in poly netting. The other similar paper are the ones in shoe boxes or the ones used for kite making. The method is to soak it in diluted white glue/PVA and drape over the frame. Let the excess hang over 'cos when it dries it shrinks and gets taught and you can cut the excess when hardened. The other material is clear polythane for sweet wrappers or flowers and works with the same principle as the apple paper as they tighten when dry.

Nice board. :thumb2: The only sport I've never tried is surfing although I used to skateboard. :tongue-out3:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I'll see what I can do.

For now they're stuffed away in the rafters with the spiders. The hottest part of the shed, that'll make 'em sweat!

DEtguQb.jpg