"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I think they'll be fine Richard. I baked a kit at 55°C and that came out okay. Wouldn't want to risk going much higher though :smiling6:

Never fear Paul, it'll return. I'm just trying to force the solvents out so that it doesn't happen again.

D

Deleted member 7181

A big thank you to Mr Merryweather for sending out a Tamiya Vespa to include in this build, and of course Paul E for bringing the idea up in the first place.

The first thing I did was to start chopping it up! :smiling5: I cleared out the section between the front mudguard and the main body as this had been moulded in one lump. I sorely wanted to remove it completely and run a pin through to the handlebars so that they would swivel together, but haven't got a drill bit fine or long enough. Drilling from both ends in an option but I'd have to be really accurate to make the holes meet in the middle! I still haven't ruled it out though if I can find a way to do it.

mIfGmjl.jpg

Of course it would need somewhere to sit, so I made up a carrying platform with tie downs, a bar to protect the rear window, and a loading ramp that stores underneath it. The angle of the ramp might be a bit steep by the time the wheels are on, but this was the longest it could go and still fully store underneath. If it ends up looking ridiculous I can always add an extension and just pretend it stows away.

2ieBgU6.jpg

hihHEBT.jpg

And here it is part way through painting, showing how it fits with the trailer. The gap between pick up and trailer looks excessive here but once the bumper is on they only just clear when turned the other way.

OhZZ6zR.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andy. Love the colour.
if you want to pivot the handlebars you could drill the hole out out larger and use a piece of brass tube as a bearing for the pivot to run in.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks.

Originally I was going to echo the colour scheme of the bus Paul but I'm now thinking about something contrasting to add more variety. I'll sleep on it.

I'd thought about sleeving with the styrene tube I already have Tim so that I could use a bigger drill bit but even then 2mm OD is about the limit and I'm not sure they come long enough. I'll have a scout around when I'm near my pc.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is coming too, too excellent PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy, the advantage of a tube is that you can drill from both ends but not be absolutely spot on where they meet. You could drill out as large as you are able, but use a slightly smaller tube. This ensures the tube can go right through Easily. The ends can be puttied in to hide any slight imperfections, and the pivot still has a proper tube to run in.
For the scooter a bluish purple would contrast beautifully with the yellow orange camper and make it really pop...

D

Deleted member 7181

For the scooter a bluish purple would contrast beautifully with the yellow orange camper and make it really pop...

Do you read palms as well? :smiling5:

Before I left the shed I brushed out a couple of purple mixes to see how they dried, hence my comment about sleeping on it.

Oh well, back to the orange lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not often, but In your case I see a lot of plastic in your future.....

• Haha
Reactions: JR
First Name
Jason
Great job all round... but I’ve just got to comment on the scooter as in the 80,s I has a full sized one just like yours!!!
Jason

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jason

I'll try and make a decent job of the scooter for you then :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Andy, lovely Scooter and so nice of Neil to let you have it. I know you'd like the handle and wheel to have play but I'm more of a static modeler and decided on an angle and just glue it. As the pivoting shaft is buried I would just turn the handle and wheel the same direction and glue them down and no one would kinow the difference similar to my scratched Honda C70... they didn't have one in 1/35 at the time I did my dio. Don't have a post link so I hope you don't mind a small pic of it.

Tim's suggestion certainly would work and is very doable. Love to see the steering when done.

rr0068.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Lovely work on the scooter Richard, it certainly puts all my efforts to shame :smiling3:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely work on the scooter Richard, it certainly puts all my efforts to shame :smiling3:
No it doesn't Andy, in one year you're doing stuff most of us take a lifetime to achieve...for instance I can't do clean and normally just close one eye to accuracy. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 7181

Shied away from the orange and went even brighter instead :cool:

The colour was mixed up from AK acrylics. White, yellow and a smidgen of green. It's since had a gloss coat and will probably get a bit of gentle weathering.

kq5RK7M.jpg