"Bendy Bus" VW Doka / 5th wheel camper kitbash

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Just popped in to see how you are doing Andy and you dont disappoint. Some wonderful scratchery. Great to see your work.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone, good to see you're hanging in there with me.

Just to give you an idea of why things have been a bit tricky up to now, I took this picture of the as yet unmolested Samba. As you can see, the floor and "chassis" are two separate parts. The idea is to fit the engine & running gear to the chassis, mate the two parts together, then wrap them in the body panels which all have location slots in the chassis. Because of all the chopping around I needed a reference point, but couldn't mate the two levels together yet as for one it would make fitting the engine very difficult (assembling it keyhole surgery style within the engine bay), and also I wouldn't be able to get under the floor to reinforce things when I start to chop out for the 5th wheel/turntable.

8fhcFPE.jpg

I've managed pretty well so far working just around the floor, having trimmed a few areas of the chassis to allow it to squeeze in afterwards, but as you can see the front panel is located totally on the chassis, it doesn't really touch the floor at all. So what I've ended up doing is using the offcuts from the louvres to fill in the gap and give a reasonable sized glue area. There isn't much clearance to the chassis so had to keep it small, but it's all worked out ok and the front is now pretty sturdy. Like the rear window, it'll be solid once the roof is on, but obviously I can't fit that yet or I wouldn't be able to access the interior at all :smiling5:

1UyVoAC.jpg

Doing it this way also left gaps around the floor in places. The chassis would normally fill these to an extent, but it would still look a bit ugly with the doors open (at this point I'm still hoping to have working front doors)

CgVsOi5.jpg

So I cut and glued in some very thin card, and removed a corresponding thickness from the top of the chassis in that area.

jj4cPlD.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Quite amazing Andy, that body several pages back looked fantastic. Great work and skill mate, you must be pleased.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. Yes, I think I peaked too soon showing the money shot of it mocked up :smiling5:

But I'm really pleased with it so far and enjoying the process, which is quite different from anything I've done before. I can see me doing more of this kind of thing.

• Haha
Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

So, after Ron's brilliant guide I thought I'd have a go at brush painting the underside of the chassis. Let's just say I think I'd better pick something less complicated to practice on next time, and any colour other than white :smiling5:

After 5 coats of AK3 acrylics over a light grey primer, some of it is starting to look white but the paint has definitely gathered into all of the nooks & crannies, the problem I usually have with a brush.

Coat 1

Coat 2

Coat 3

Coat 4

Coat 5

F854BEo.jpg

I'll see how it looks in the morning once dry but it's already clogging up the detail and still needs a few more coats to be fully white, so may end up stripping it, and picking something less taxing to try my hand at brushing!

With that taking most of the afternoon it did give me several hours to work on other things. The suspension parts and some interior bits have been clipped off, cleaned up, primed, sanded, re-primed & most of them painted with MRP black, giving a nice satin finish.

43jwHjW.jpg

The engine parts were already primed, but I also managed to assemble & paint them, along with the gearbox, heater pipes, battery and subframe. These were all brushed. I'm pretty confident with small parts like this, it's just big areas I struggle with. Practice practice practice I guess :smiling3:

LbuIj8e.jpg

I'm tempted to add some detail to the engine in the form of wires and suchlike, and there are several decals to add yet, but since it'll probably never be seen I'm not sure I want to put myself through it! Will mull it over.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Early money shots? This project is progressing beautifully. Love the engine work so far. PaulE

First Name
Andy
Looking great there Andy, will you be having a hatch for engine access? if not then I would not bother with engine detail, unless you really want to.

Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

Yes Andy, the engine hatch can be opened but I doubt there'll be much room to do so once the trailer is on, unless I pose the combo at a wierd angle.

I suppose it's more about me knowing it's there, and good practice for the future. If I mess it up there's a spare engine from the Samba kit :smiling5:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Morning Andy - you look to be having fun with this one

Can I ask why you didn't convert the body to the square corners of the pick-up before adding the louvres (louvres look good btw)? Given the amount of work you are doing in the chop department it wouldn't have taken much to square them off

Also, have I missed something - why brush paint when you are a sprayer and spraying gives a better finish?

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 7181

Definitely having fun Simon. It's mostly blundering through and learning as I go, but it's enjoyable.

In all honesty I didn't notice the corners until I was doing the louvres, and wondered why mine were so stubby compared to the real thing. A closer look at some pictures showed the T1 was much squarer than the later T2 I owned. I guess I should have researched more beforehand. To fix it now would be beyond me I think, as I'd also have to rework the back corners of the cab section to the same radius too (they are already inaccurate but I like the way they've turned out)

coh90dS.jpg

Note that one has a completely different type of louvre too.

As for brushing, it's something I'd like to get that hang of as I can see it being a useful skill to have, another string to my bow. I clearly need a lot more practice before I go live though!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The hole keeps growing, we could now get a car into it!

They have now cut off the electricity to the whole street while they splice in a new length of cable so I think the neighbours will be more disgruntled than excited right now. Hopefully it'll be back on in a couple of hours
Kill them! Kill them! They're seed pods from Invasion of the body snatchers!

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Steve.

Dave - now buried deep underground, covered in tarmac and concrete. That'll keep 'em safe!

D

Deleted member 7181

I ended up spraying a coat of gloss white over the chassis. I did some terrible painting of the various cables & hoses running underneath and added the suspension, lower engine & subframe.

jOjIstF.jpg

I managed some of the decals on the engine, and added some plug leads from 0.2mm lead wire. Again, the painting looks a bit ropey zoomed in so far but is good enough to the naked eye. It's just over an inch wide (~30mm) in reality.

wSYMyno.jpg

I fashioned a "Max Power" exhaust to replace the tiny kit one. I considered twin pipes (like mine had), and may still do that, but even this looks more in keeping with a customised bus. (it's intentionally bent downwards to clear the rear bumper)

hQudo5e.jpg

And I knocked up a period roof rack frame. I managed to solder one of the joints but the others just wouldn't have it. I think the 1mm copper wire was just wicking away too much heat to get a decent wet joint so I used CA. I've cut some wooden planks out of coffee stirrers and will add those once it's painted. It's sitting a bit high in these pictures but I've since bent the crossbars a little to follow the curve of the roof a bit (after looking at reference photos) and shortened the legs. It'll need some feet and clamps but they can wait until the roof has been painted and I'll fit them in situ to make life a bit easier.

J59nHJy.jpg

BwNHe9y.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul.

Just taken another shot with it lowered and the planks mocked up. Maybe a little wide but my coffee stirrer stock is dwindling due to the lockdown so had to be sparing! :smiling5: They need straightening up a bit but you get the idea.

lK6NWRa.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andy.

There's chance for it to all go wrong when I get around to paint though lol. I'm going for a fairly common scheme of white above the bodyline, colour below. Sounds simple but I've had several practice runs at getting a consistent line around all the compound and internal curves, but not got it right yet!

MikeC

Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
What a brilliant job, subject and use of skills, well done.
I do beleive the original was fitted with a Porsche 911 engine. In my younger days we used to swap Porsche engines in VW Beetles...
Look forward to more of your build,
Mike.

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Andy great work, loving the extras very nice.
Pete.