Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
What a fantastic spot Lee. Are their numbers recovering these days? I know they were under extreme pressure at one time.
Tim I don’t know seems like there are because there more in this area. This is the second one I’ve seen this year last year I seen one one a dead tree snag in the state park last winter going to work. I never would dream of seeing one in my front yard. Thanks

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
One lucky boy., Lee. What a stroke of luck!
Thanks Ron it was a awesome day yesterday I’m so blessed. We have doves here too but they are a little different than yours. What a nice pics I appreciate you and the others contributing to this thread. Thanks

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
View attachment 482438
SWMBO and I sitting at the patio table this morning and joined by a robin. At one time there were two of them but one was startled and flew off before I could get my phone out.
Pete
Awesome Pete! The Robin is pretty. The birds at the feeder early this morning seemed to not mine me on the porch there getting braver I’ll have to get some pics.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
A few more:
Pete. I like your feeder set up and thanks for sharing your pics they are Beautiful. Sorry to here about your cat you just never know. Ours is turn 13 this June he seems to be just fine but I’m preparing for anything.

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Collared Dove having an evening snack in our garden. I had to top up the bird feeders as the Starlings had a feast earlier today.

20230528_163136.jpg

20230528_163150.jpg

We have a huge provide with Grey Squirrels here as we back onto a Lane, hence the need for the cover the stop them climbing up. It tends to work although the odd squirrel can leap up and grab onto one of the feeders.

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
We've had to remove our bird feeders as they were attracting this guy from next door :confused:

2023-06-07 14.51.43.jpg

Long story but the house was sold just before lock down. The unfortunate death of the buyer has left it tied up in paperwork and empty ever since. The back garden resembles the Amazonian rain forest :rolling:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
We've had to remove our bird feeders as they were attracting this guy from next door :confused:

View attachment 485072

Long story but the house was sold just before lock down. The unfortunate death of the buyer has left it tied up in paperwork and empty ever since. The back garden resembles the Amazonian rain forest :rolling:
Sounds like the house I bought. Amazonian rain forest!!!! PAh - Nothing a mini-digger, a good mate, (landscape gardener) and my money couldn't sort!!!

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I'm fairly sure we have a local Peregrine, although not been lucky enough to spot it yet. I'm repeatedly finding heaps of plucked pigeon feathers in fields on our dog walks. I'm fairly sure no other bird of prey would take on a pigeon.

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I'm fairly sure we have a local Peregrine, although not been lucky enough to spot it yet. I'm repeatedly finding heaps of plucked pigeon feathers in fields on our dog walks. I'm fairly sure no other bird of prey would take on a pigeon.
Mmmmm, that’s got me thinking!!
I found a dead pigeon the other night. Face was ripped apart!
Last time I saw anything similar was when a female sparrow hawk took out a pigeons brain and deposited on the lawn!! SWIMBO ran in the house yelling ‘carnage - carnage’!!!
I know we have Peregrines on the cliffs close to us!!!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
When we were looking for a house there was one like that, advertised as having a garden “in its natural state”……
Interesting " speak " of the lesser spotted estate agent Tim . Bet they could sell sand to the Arabs .

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice shot rRon. Shows off the yellow beak outline really well……to an adult sparrow that says “put food here”……
Interesting " speak " of the lesser spotted estate agent Tim . Bet they could sell sand to the Arabs .
do you remember the estate agent from the early seventies whose sales pitch was based around brutal honesty? My favourite was “property would suit a deaf train spotter”…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Most days we are lucky to have a visit on high from the Red Kite . Glides over the houses in search of a meal .
He’s waiting for something to die John. Basically he’s a European vulture! Fantastic birds though, a great conservation success story.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've been watching the wrens flitting in and out of the hedge in front of my place - judging by the frequency they're feeding a brood. Too small and fast for me to photograph - and I wouldn't want to go close to the nest. Not many different birds this year, just the usual Jackdaws, Crows, Wood Pigeons,, and a few more Magpies than usual.
Not birds, but Roe Deer - only the third time I've seen them in over 20 years at my address - I've seen their slots ( hoofprints ) loads of times, but last night at dusk I saw a pair moving along the treeline, which follows a stream ( although they call it a river! ). I did go for my camera, but they'd hidden by the time I was ready
Dave

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
I've been watching the wrens flitting in and out of the hedge in front of my place - judging by the frequency they're feeding a brood. Too small and fast for me to photograph - and I wouldn't want to go close to the nest. Not many different birds this year, just the usual Jackdaws, Crows, Wood Pigeons,, and a few more Magpies than usual.
Not birds, but Roe Deer - only the third time I've seen them in over 20 years at my address - I've seen their slots ( hoofprints ) loads of times, but last night at dusk I saw a pair moving along the treeline, which follows a stream ( although they call it a river! ). I did go for my camera, but they'd hidden by the time I was ready
Dave
We have Roe deer in the field behind the house, there were five but recently seen no more than four at a time.
DSC00579.jpeg
Muntjac as well, hundreds of tracks, but they are a bit more elusive and I’ve not managed to get a picture yet.
IMG_1675.jpeg

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
We have Roe deer in the field behind the house, there were five but recently seen no more than four at a time.
View attachment 485107
Muntjac as well, hundreds of tracks, but they are a bit more elusive and I’ve not managed to get a picture yet.
View attachment 485108
Amazing that such a large(ish) animal comes so close to human habitation, and judging by the track,s on a very regular basis - some of my younger neighbours were sceptical until I pointed out the tracks. It was suggested that they were sheep tracks - but when I asked the question " When have you seen sheep here?" - no answer! I think they still doubted, until one of them saw the deer early one morning whe he was on early shift!
Dave