Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Our resident Collared Doves have been 'At it' already! They are very trusting birds. I can now get within a couple of feet of them. They fly down from the roof when I arrive with food.
Three weeks ago we spotted them with a chick.
Then a day later a second youngster popped out of their Laurel Bush nest site. Twins! - Sort of.....

The adults only tolerated the chicks for a couple of weeks or so, then they turned on them and drove them both away from our garden. - never to return.

Proud parents. Young'un on the left.
P1360071.JPG

Giving the youngster a good grooming. See the immature pink beak.
P1360074.JPG

The second one has arrived.
P1360077.JPG

"Come on girl, let's make some more!" Judging by their behavior lately, we believe they are doing just that!
P1360084.JPG

Spot the feeder. Long Tailed Tits marauding.
P1350485.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow some great photos there 570 , wish we had long tailed tits , haven't seen any for years .
We have a resident pair of Doves that come most days .
453 .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad you both like the snaps and I hope they might be of interest to others.

453, The long tailed tits are regular visitors. Usually a dozen or more all arriving at once. Then they disappear for a week or so, then return for another lightning assault!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The long tailed tits are regular visitors. Usually a dozen or more all arriving at once. Then they disappear for a week or so, then return for another lightning assault!
Ours behave like that as well. Not so many though, usually six or seven. We do get over a dozen goldfinches, who, strangely, don't seem to eat the niger seed we put out for them, they prefer sunflower hearts.
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Glad you both like the snaps and I hope they might be of interest to others.

453, The long tailed tits are regular visitors. Usually a dozen or more all arriving at once. Then they disappear for a week or so, then return for another lightning assault!
Lovely birds, one of my favourites. They move around in family groups, which is why it’s all or nothing…..

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Ours behave like that as well. Not so many though, usually six or seven. We do get over a dozen goldfinches, who, strangely, don't seem to eat the niger seed we put out for them, they prefer sunflower hearts.
Pete
Yep, our goldies do the same. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything eat Niger seed……

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Although I've not seen them Red Kites are making a real comeback in Shropshire. Red Kites were on the brink of national extinction early in the 20th century, just a few breeding pairs in South Wales. Numbers have steadily increased. A keen bird watcher friend sees them regularly around Shrewsbury. When wildlife is struggling so much it's great to have a real success story.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Although I've not seen them Red Kites are making a real comeback in Shropshire. Red Kites were on the brink of national extinction early in the 20th century, just a few breeding pairs in South Wales. Numbers have steadily increased. A keen bird watcher friend sees them regularly around Shrewsbury. When wildlife is struggling so much it's great to have a real success story.
Out in the west they are almost more common than Buzzards Jim. As you say, a real success story, as is the recovery of Buzzards. When I was a youngster they could only be found on the western moors of Bodmin or Dartmoor or in the Welsh and Scottish highlands. Myxomatoasis had destroyed their major food source and DDT had wrecked their reproductive ability. I hope the current Osprey and Bustard initiatives are as successful.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No pictures again I’m afraid, but we’ve just had our usual Kite and Buzzard fest as the farmer bales his cut grass for winter feed. Counted at least eight Buzzards and six Kites, but there were probably more lower down out of sight. The field was half a mile away hence no photos. Seem to have more Swallows and House Martins than usual this year as well. Pity we don’t get swifts…..

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely photos chums.
I live near a nature reserve at Holland on sea and theres a marsh area with a pond.They have turned an old container into a viewing hide.Last week i saw Cormarants and turnstones.Sometimes get the odd lapwing around and buzzards lurking around the river running close by.Its a very tranquil area and great to sit for an hour or 2.Usually get talking to guys with proper gear for viewing and most share their knowledge as mine is limited burd wise.
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
One lucky boy., Lee. What a stroke of luck!

Here in North Wales, we have been blessed with a second brood of Collar Doves from our 'resident' couple AND they were 'At it' again yesterday! So we can hopefully expect yet more youngsters on the way.
Like Wood Pigeons, Doves breed all year and usually produce 1 or 2 eggs per lay.

Here's one of the youngsters. The other refuses to sit with it when I'm around.
P1360502.JPG

The parent looking on. The adult pair are so tame now, I rattle the food tub and they swoop down from our trees, landing on the feed table whilst I'm sprinkling stuff on it. Not phased one bit. It's great!

Here's one of the parents keeping an eye on the goings on....Is it winking at me?!

P1360500.JPG

Great photos on this thread boys. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers.
Robert Franklin Stroud (Birdman of Alcatraz)... although in truth, I'm never allowed to keep any birds in here. :sad:

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love it. They do learn that their food source is safe don’t they. In our old house I used to get a wood pigeon walk backwards and forward in front of the conservatory door staring in at me if there was no food on the bird table……

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
A few more:
IMG_20230528_110240479[1].jpg
And some from around the garden:
IMG_20230528_111611676[1].jpg
Hybrid tea rose "Rachel", which was my mother's name, and her grandmother's. The most scented rose I know of.

IMG_20230528_111653960[1].jpg
Millie. 14 next week, but might not get to 15 due to kidney problems.

IMG_20230528_111701502[1].jpgIMG_20230528_111825644[1].jpgIMG_20230528_111754849[1].jpg
The climber has more flowers than leaves!

IMG_20230528_111725297[1].jpg

The figs are looking good!
Pete

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_111701502[1].jpg
    IMG_20230528_111701502[1].jpg
    384.7 KB · Views: 1