Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Good and sad news on the Spider Hunters.
Good news is the chicks have grown, sad is while attempting to their first flight one fell directly onto the tiled floor. This happened at night while we were watching TV. The cats were all gathering at the door looking out and we thought it was another cat or civet.
I found it lifeless. Normally these nest are in jungles with grass or leaves to break the fall. Then after half an hour the other too jumped out of the nest...oh no mass suicide but it managed to flap to a potted plant. We got a container lined with soft tissue which I placed it in...more like it flapped into it. I set it on a table just beneath the nest and left it to nature.
Next morning it was still in the container chirping. I was trying to deposit on a higher pedestal when it took off straight to the tree across the street with the parents following it.
What surprised me was that the baby was much bigger and tailess...perhaps puffed up with nutrients for its flight and survival.
So what do I do with the nest now? :thinking:

Cheers,
Wabble

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not this week , but from same time of year a few years ago - when looking after a 'little house in the country' we had to feed and keep an eye on two Trumpeter Swans ( Henry and Anne ! ) and their signet, which we had the pleasure of watching taking to the air for the first time!

SAM_8497.jpegDSCN0466.jpegDSC_0354.jpegDSC_0349.jpeg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not this week , but from same time of year a few years ago - when looking after a 'little house in the country' we had to feed and keep an eye on two Trumpeter Swans ( Henry and Anne ! ) and their signet, which we had the pleasure of watching taking to the air for the first time!

View attachment 476556View attachment 476557View attachment 476558View attachment 476559
What a great place to live. Pull up the drawbridge and the world can just frack off…….lovely shots of the trumpys as well……reminds me of the Bishops palace at Wells…..they have a bell with a chain on by the moat that the swans ring when it’s time to be fed……

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
So saw this earlier this week, when out for a walk with Junior. We live near a canal and you often see these in the margins. Only a few days before I took this picture, I saw another when out for another walk with our friends and saw it catch a small fish.

ATB

Andrew

Banned from Race Towers pond Andrew. please post a warning be fore showing this type of photo.:unamused:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice shot of swans and tits....something about guys and tits. :thinking: :tears-of-joy:
Early warning for fish eaters...we have a couple of those that feed along the large monsoon drains nearby.

Cheers,
Wabble

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice shot Lee. Is that a long tailed tit on the feeder? One of my favourite birds if it is! They look just like feathered lollipops.
Tim that is a Hairy Woodpecker and a Chickadee. The Suet cake I feed in there is for Woodpeckers I really enjoy watching them.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Tim that is a Hairy Woodpecker and a Chickadee. The Suet cake I feed in there is for Woodpeckers I really enjoy watching them.
It’s the chickadee I was referring to then…….looking at images of them we would call them coal tits…..nowhere near as cute a name ;)

Long tailed tits look like this……
4C91B9C9-7ABC-4F3E-96B3-29284EB50B49.jpeg
Image for info only…..

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
It’s the chickadee I was referring to then…….looking at images of them we would call them coal tits…..nowhere near as cute a name ;)

Long tailed tits look like this……
View attachment 476600
Image for info only…..
Beautiful birds , loved seeing them in a family group going down a hedge row .