Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Tim

You are completely correct. Long lenses, particularly the cheaper ones like mine, do not allow fast shutter speeds and are always tough to hold very still so take lots of blurred shots. Occasionally I get a decent one. I also use a 70-300 which is a little easier to handle.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I have a Canon system John and the lens anti shake adds about three stops of relative speed......wish it added about six though.....the 300 prime was an early lens so only added about one and a half, another reason for swapping it on.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve. That a beautiful bird and you took some great shots. Thanks for sharing. Yesterday there was a Coopers Hawk flying above me in the Barn lot I didn’t get my phone out in time to take a pic till it was to late.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great thread Lee, and equally great pictures from members.

Plenty of nesting/feeding activity going on in our garden, so hopefully some young will be spotted soon.

...three more.

Our 'Tame' Wood Pigeons.
odds and sods 291.jpg

A Gold Finch
odds and sods 559.jpg

....and a chancer!
P1240927.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Off on slight tangent. Sorry Lee, but on reading the discussion about lens's, I thought the following might be of interest to someone....

I'm an opportunist, point and click merchant and know nothing about camera settings, except where the 'Auto Option' is on the dial thingy.

However, I've always wanted a camera with a good zoom, compact enough to go into a jacket or rucksack pocket. I certainly didn't want to lug around those huge and clumbersome lens's. My son bought this camera and suggested it might fit the bill - And How!

It's a Sony DSC-H400. It has a 63X Optical zoom and goes up to 126X digital. Expensive? Nah, there is a second hand one running on eBay as I type for less than £50. (New, around the £150/ £170 mark.

P1300046.JPG

I took these images this morning. We have a plastic owl on a wall to deter hawks etc. (As much use as a tit on a bull!)

No tripod. I wedged the camera against a tree trunk.

The owl on the wall.
DSC00100.JPG

Here it is at 63X optical.
DSC00103.JPG

....and 126X digital.
DSC00101.JPG

So if anyone on here wants a nice, reasonably priced compact zoom camera, this Sony might just fit the bill - It does for me.

Once again, sorry for the slight diversion, Lee.

Ron

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Steve. Beautiful pic now that how to enjoy life.

Gerry. That set up you have look so familiar I thought I was looking at mine

Ron. Thanks for the complement on the thread. Those are some great looking pics I don’t mine it’s still tagged as bird watching you got to have a camera. Thanks for sharing your pics.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Steve. Beautiful pic now that how to enjoy life.

Gerry. That set up you have look so familiar I thought I was looking at mine

Ron. Thanks for the complement on the thread. Those are some great looking pics I don’t mine it’s still tagged as bird watching you got to have a camera. Thanks for sharing your pics.
That's one of the back feed stations, another beside it, and 2 at the front ;)

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice shots Ron and that looks like a pretty useful little camera.

We have our bird feeder hanging just outside our dining room window, so I can take photos while sitting in comfort.
This is an American Goldfinch that stopped by for breakfast this morning.

yellow bird.jpg

John

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John. I caught a pic of one of those yellow Finches last year about this time at my feeder but I’ve lost the pic.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
More dining room visitors. This is a female Oriole. She appears to be madly jealous of her reflection in the dining room window since she repeatedly throws herself against the glass. Never could understand women.

Mrs Oriole.jpg

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There was a pied wagtail around here that used to do something similar last year John. He used to sit on the wing mirror of my car, see his own reflection in the passenger side window, and attack it.....he did that time after time. Before I saw him do it I used to wonder what the marks on my passenger window were and where they came from.......

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Just had two stock doves in the garden, grabbed the phone to take a photo only to see them hightailing over the hedge!
Must admit that the first time that I saw one, thought that it was a young wood pigeon, as very similar, but no white collar.