Bird Watching a Relaxing Hobby

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
More dining room visitors. This is a female Oriole. She appears to be madly jealous of her reflection in the dining room window since she repeatedly throws herself against the glass. Never could understand women.

View attachment 423504

John
John. Very nice pic I’ve got to get my bird feeder closer to the window

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Came across these last night, whilst we were looking at our snaps from our holiday on Guernsey in 2014.

DSC00566.JPG

Spotted this way down a track.
DSC00832 (2).JPG

This 'family' were wandering along a beach totally oblivious to any humans.....i.d. please?
DSC00791 (2).JPG

DSC00802 (2).JPG

Cheers,
Ron

Attachments

• DSC00802 (2).JPG
    DSC00802 (2).JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 0

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The warbler is a chiffchaff, and the falcon is a female Kestrel. Still looking for the duck!

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I can see why some people love bird watching and fishing, but neither is for me.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Tim.
I knew the first two, but the ducks threw me as I thought the last duck in the convoy was a mature male of some description, due to an apparent lack of head stripes as the 3 youngsters in the foreground have.

As for golf, I can't see the fun in hitting a ball with a stick trying to get it into a hole in the ground!......or as a good friend of mine once said "Golf? A good walk spoilt!"

Thanks for the input, Tim.

Oops! Digressing again.
Sorry Lee!

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Thanks Tim.
I knew the first two, but the ducks threw me as I thought the last duck in the convoy was a mature male of some description, due to an apparent lack of head stripes as the 3 youngsters in the foreground have.

As for golf, I can't see the fun in hitting a ball with a stick trying to get it into a hole in the ground!......or as a good friend of mine once said "Golf? A good walk spoilt!"

Thanks for the input, Tim.

Oops! Digressing again.
Sorry Lee!
Nice looking pics Ron. This year I’m raising Ducks first time in about 20 years. As for the Golf thing my dad called it “Cow Pasture Pool”.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I think that might be a family of Black ducks. As for golf that is where I spend most of my summer days.

John

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks very like a black duck John, but then, a Black duck looks very like an immature male Mallard :thinking:. Unfortunately there have only been forty sightings of black ducks in the UK region over the last seventy years, so they’re almost certainly mallard :loudly-crying: . A family of five black ducks would have been a real scoop for twitchers!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
......Unfortunately there have only been forty sightings of black ducks in the UK region over the last seventy years, so they’re almost certainly mallard :loudly-crying: . A family of five black ducks would have been a real scoop for twitchers!

Keep in mind Tim, I took the snaps in Guernsey, so perhaps John is correct. I know it could be argued that the Channel Islands are in the U.K. but even so......
Just musing really.

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Keep in mind Tim, I took the snaps in Guernsey, so perhaps John is correct. I know it could be argued that the Channel Islands are in the U.K. but even so......
Hi Ron
I‘ve looked at several sites and I can’t find a record of Black Ducks ever being spotted in Guernsey. Your photos are Mallard, I’m afraid, the same as Steve’s above.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
All happening now!

A very tired, young female Greater Spotted Woodpecker. Initially, I was that close to it, I swear I could have picked it up.....
DSC00117 (2).JPG

Then along came a nosy young Robin.
DSC00126 (2).JPG

Then, blow me down, a young Blue Tit turned up.
What are the chances of capturing all three youngsters at once? I'm so chuffed!
DSC00130 (2).JPG

Dad came along and spoilt the get together.
DSC00122 (2).JPG

I think plenty more are in the offing around now.....

Ron

Last edited: