Blitz AFS Fireman Bust Sculpt ,1-10 scale

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I must apologise, gents, it’s been over a month since my last confession…..
But although I have not been reporting, there have been developments.
Firstly, as I was hoping to be able to sell the castings, I decided not to bother battling with the moulding myself but to go to a professional; and on advice from Richard Pearce I sent the bits to Richard Wharton of Oakwood Studios, who makes a range of fine wooden bases.

IMG_20201118_200614099.jpg
Richard advised me not to bother with the plinth to keep the cost down, since apparently many people prefer their own style(or indeed, one of Richard's)
I was originally planning to set up my own little ‘cottage industry’ selling my own sculpts, but the more I looked into it and thought about what would be required the less I liked the idea. I would have to be mostly a manufacturer and salesman, dealing with customers and running a website or whatever, which doesn’t appeal to me at all. All I really want to do is sculpt, so I shall just be trying to find someone to buy the master from now on, and if I can’t, so be it.
I still want to paint him myself and by the time I had this epiphany Richard already had the master for the moulding process, so I just limited the number of castings. Richard did an excellent job at a very reasonable rate, and I now have four sets of resin parts.
Unfortunately he was unable to get a successful mould of the helmet veil, so before I split it into two to facilitate his one-piece moulding process, in my arrogance I am having my own attempt at a two-piece mould.

I half-embedded it in Plasticene, inside a box made of Lego(other brands of building blocks are available).
IMG_20201221_142415135.jpg
I would like to point out that I didn’t steal the Lego from the grandkids, it was actually mine from back in the day and they have been allowed to play with it!

The dimples in the corners are for registration when I put the two halves together.
I last did this about twenty years ago so I’m not qualified to do a masterclass in mould-making, but I will be flagging up the pitfalls and mistakes I made as sort of ‘how not to do it’. Remember, Granny had to be reminded how to suck eggs in my RAF Pilot thread……
I did remember to wrap the Lego box in masking tape to prevent leaking ,which turned out to be wise.
So far, so good
When the rubber had cured I removed the base and the lower courses of bricks, and you can see where the rubber leaked between the bricks.
IMG_20201222_100107372.jpg
and then I removed the plasticene
IMG_20201222_102000799.jpg

IF there is a next time I will use a release agent on the Plasticene…..
It’s easy enough to clean away with white spirit on a cotton bud, but better not to have to do it, eh?
So then I painted all the silicon rubber with Vaseline –DO NOT FORGET TO DO THIS- and built up a couple of courses of bricks for the second part of the mould.
Lego is really brilliant for this

IMG_20201222_103812676.jpg

It is now full of rubber, and this is as far as I have got.

Thanks for looking

Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Brave man Neil.
This casting lark is indeed a slippery art.

For being late to confession you must repeat to your self 100 times The Works of Sheperd Paine.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Cheers John & Richard
With luck I might be able to break out the resin tomorrow
keep your fingers crossed!

Reactions: JR
D

Deleted member 6559

That's all looking very tidy indeed Neil. I don't blame you for not wanting to go commercial - as a retail veteran I can tell you that selling to the public is a complete pain in the posterior.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Thanks, Chaps, as always for the encouragement.
Well, I AM an idiot.

I totally got the design of the mould wrong, and even more annoyingly I used the clear rubber when any bog-standard rubber (which I DO have) would have done. The point of the clear is so that you can cut through the rubber in exactly the right place, but I had already defined that by making a two-piece mould - DOH!
So here it is with the Lego removed, and you can just about see the dividing line between the two halves.
IMG_20201224_084732985.jpg
And here are the two parts-very much male (on the left ) and female…. Unfortunately the clear rubber makes it difficult to see in the pic.
IMG_20201224_085749587.jpg
Now, what I did wrong is that instead of creating what is effectively a cavity by building up around the piece I should have extended the U-shaped profile to the edges of the mould. This would have made the next step much simpler, which is to cut a pouring funnel and breather sprues in one piece of the mould.

So before I wrestle with that I will attempt to just fill up the female half with resin and just push the male part in. I cut a couple of breathers to let the excess come out.

And we will see how that goes

Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas one and all (off to be a bit sociable with SWMBO now ;) )
Cheers
Neil

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Are other building block available ?
Neil, feel for you, very annoying to say the least.
Enjoy being sociable .

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Right, let the painting FINALLY commence!
Happily, far from being a disaster, my poor mould-making technique has turned out ok.
It took a few attempts before I had a success, but I am used to that concept with casting now, and I am NOT contemplating a new career…
So here are the parts
IMG_20201227_154100613.jpg

This will be my first bust painting, and the largest face I’ve painted since my teens and those 1-12 scale Airfix figures; in fact I haven’t painted anything for a couple of months so let’s see how it goes.
Low expectations please, I am no P Diddy!
Thanks for following,

Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Just a little update;
I primed the various bits in appropriate colours and made a start on the eyes and pre-shading the face
IMG_20201228_172745453.jpg
I’m going to chip the helmet so I have sprayed it with steel first, then I will use Vallejo chipping medium followed by the olive green.
thanks for looking
Neil

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I've finished the face now, I think.
I almost posted him earlier but the photos revealed that his eyebrows looked like a couple of slugs, so I had another bash at them.
I painted his hair as well, even though it won't be seen, just for the experience.

IMG_20201229_182745174.jpg

IMG_20201229_182702264.jpgIMG_20201229_182724349.jpg
and the respirator
IMG_20201229_182833903.jpg

and the helmet- except for some 'plaster dust' weathering when he's all put together

IMG_20201229_182845128.jpg
the hood is a lot easier to see in the pics now it's not just white resin.
Thanks for looking
Neil