boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks for the reply.
Will you be hooking it up with the rudder, or as a 'emergency' item?
HI again an no problem Jerry on the reply as its nice to see you take an instrest in TIGER an yes it will be an 'emergency' item? as if its hooked up to the rudder it will be goin nr all the time takin power from the batt an it will have little effect when the ship is ploughin through the water

as these bow thrusters only work best when the ship is stopped then the thruster will have an effect on moveing the bow to port or starb like the times i will really need it is when its windy as a big hull like this will be blown all over the show as i found on my nimitz nr 9ft long aircraft carrer as without a bowthruster fitted in it would be blown into the concrete walls on the pond an then damage would occour as i never had damage to nimitz's hull except when i rammed a sub an then it was only a little bit of paint flecked off on the bow but the sub had a dent in its pressuer hull
thanks Jerry for lookin in on the build an hope you are enjoyin lookin as much as im enjoyin building her :thumb2: :smiling:
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Totally transforms it with some paint on, looking very good Chris.
OH HI Ian yea it certainly does when paint goes on its one step nearer the finish an thanks for your coments an taking an intrest in her
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
She looks lovely Christopher. I'm kind of worried as her keel looks very shallow and with the tall main mast would she be top heavy? Fingers crossed the water test goes well.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
She looks lovely Christopher. I'm kind of worried as her keel looks very shallow and with the tall main mast would she be top heavy? Fingers crossed the water test goes well.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard i dont think i'll have to worry to much about stabilty as from the keel bottom up to the top of the black boot line its nr 4inches an that why i added at the start of the build a half an inch extra keel so if she is unstable i can drill an fit by bolts two half x half inch heavy steel sqaure rods to fit on the under side of the hull so more wheight at the extrem distance from the water level so more stablity as when i build these ship im thinging 2yrs ahead when i cut out the keel an a pic of the real ship an she is nr the top of her boot line so there is in real maybe 30ft or so of the hull underwater Tiger-class.jpg

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN AGAIN Richard if you look at my NIMITZ carrier i did the same with her an added a extra half an inch keel thinking the same thing but it dint need the wheight on the bottom as she floated an sailed ok even though she had all the planes 50 odd on a 2 an a half ft wide flight deck which i thought would become a wind trap an roll her over but no she was ok EVEN in gale force winds which surprised me greatly an my boaty mate said see you worry to much IMG_4100 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO Richard im not goin to worry an see what happens when shes in the test tank
chris

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Crack on with the decals Chris.......She's looking more seaworthy every time I see her. :thumb2: Rick H.
AN HI Rick yea ive just got her penant NO.s today from ebay so now ive got them an all the other decalls an such they are ready to be fitted on but i'll give it a week or so for the paint to harden then fit all the decalls an then lauqer her an then i'll have to wait again say a month or less i'll see to make sure that it has harden as i cant rush this or maybe a disater in the makin
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Whatever happened to your Nimitz Chris? Must have taken up an awful lot of space!

Nick
HI Nick well i sailed her for about 4yrs or so an a freind took her up to the main big model boat show in glassgow there an she won best visting model out of about a hundred models on display i think so i herd an a chap who does write up's about her in model boats magazine all 4 pages of it an i was very pleased on that an got a trophy for her which ive still got ive still got the mag with her in an a collector saw her an he gave me an offer i could not refuse so at the moment she is up on a shelf in his living room

an she was'nt to bad on space as she came in half like all my models do an as it was a big hull i could stand her up on end bits an of course all the planes an S/S just lifted off as they were held on by metal pins so it was the result of a lot of planning ahead an i must admit i miss her sometime as when i took her to sail well i had a job tryin to keep all the people back so i could sail her an sometimes i dint get the chance to sail her as me an the missus spent the day answering peoples qeustions on her
chris

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This just gets better and better Chris, you and Jen must be so proud of the skill and work you have done .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Hopefully that offer for the Nimitz reflected your 7 years of work - I don't know if I could have sold something that took me that long to build!
The Tiger is looking really good, just can't get my head round how big she is!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
This just gets better and better Chris, you and Jen must be so proud of the skill and work you have done .

HI John yes Jen an i was always pleased to see the ships built an finshed an sailing an on show for the G/P as they always shew a lot of instrest in the models more so the ladies an children as jen was my P/A an answered all or most of their qeustions about my NIMITZ as she the real ship was in a film with kirk douglas an martin sheen
called THE FINAL COUNTDOWN about where she goes back in time to 1941 an was goin to stop the japenese attack on pearl harbour very good film must have watched it a half a dozen times an always enjoy it even though i know how it ends lol
AN its the same with my HMS NORFOLK as she was due to go in a model show for the last two yrs running but its been cancceled due to covid what a pity AN i hope when she's fininshed in about 2-3 yrs time TIGER will attrack the G/P an i hope they enjoy her as back to my NIMITZ i always had people comin back to say well ive looked at your ship a few times now but every time i look i always see something diffent so i was very pleased indeed on that
an John many thanks for all the likes AN CHEERS for lookin in on the build
ATB Chris an jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hopefully that offer for the Nimitz reflected your 7 years of work - I don't know if I could have sold something that took me that long to build!
The Tiger is looking really good, just can't get my head round how big she is!

AN HI Gerry yes i know what you mean about letting her go after 7yrs of build time but id had nr 4yrs of sailing her an loads of people had seen an enjoyed seein her sail an on show at shows an i thought well the next ship is nr finished to take NIMITZ place as she was big so time to move on well thats what happend we had to move to a smaller house but in rememberance of NIMITZ i had a big 3ft x 4ft picture of her sailing on the pond in a nice frame done an it hang in pride of place over the fireplace so i can sit an still enjoy lookin at her

as where i built NIMITZ we was livin in a big three story vicarage an the rooms in the roof were nr 20 ft sqaure so plenty of room an there were 4 bedrooms as they was for the servants rooms as the house originley owned by the lord of the manor an we lived there for 33 yrs so plenty of room for the carrier but in new house a lot smaller.

An if you look in the pic of tiger she is nearly taking up the whole room width so NIMITZ had to go which was a pity really
an regards TIGER YEA she is a fair size as when i fitted her altogeather it was a bit of a shock as what NIMITZ made up in width an a bit longer than TIGER makes up in length an height as Richard said she is pretty high up to the mast top but will see how she floats thats gonna be the killer an cheers Jerry for takin an instrest in her an i cant wait to see what happens in the test tank but im a fraid we will just have to have patience as it one step at a time
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Cheers,
Richard

AN Richard i just remembered that on tiger she will have three sets of workin stabilizers ( if i can get them all to work ok ) an with them working they will act like a aircrafts aliaerons to give her stability when shes sailng ( an with a bottom weight if needed ) there should be no probs on bein top heavy but im makin everything i can out of as light a materieal as possible so Richard you can stop worryin lol
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Heck of a test tank :thumb2:
Remember the film, must admit that I enjoyed it.
YEA Jerry the tank is just over 9ft long an it was a brand new cattle trough an one of my boaty freinds gave it to me to test nimitz out when i was doin what you see in the pic but he had a heart attack an then surgury so he said keep it as i cant lift it now as its bloomin heavy an yes the film is great an i liked the bit where he said splash the zero's just imgaine if that really happened an they did stop the attack it would have altered the time line an they may have end up not bein born makes you think dont it
ATB chris