boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An talkin about the test tank tests I was with my friends up at Norwich pond a few yrs ago an a gent ive never seen before pulls up just a little away fron us an he had a really nice frigate or a destroyer I think it was about 6ft long an we all sat talkin an watchin this gent put his ship in the pond an it floated lovely looked really great an as we were watchin he opens her up an sails straight into the middle of the pond an then turns straight to strb an then she rolls straight over an sinks the only bit visable was the bow stickin out of the water as there is all ways air trapped in that section an we all ran up to him an said whats happened an he says it just sunk an I said dint you do any test on her in a test tank an he says NO we were flabbergasted that model cost him over a £1000 an he just took his shoes an socks off an went into the pond to retrive the model with water all pourin out of it an we never saw him again OH DEAR poor devil
chris

D

Deleted member 7237

An talkin about the test tank tests I was with my friends up at Norwich pond a few yrs ago an a gent ive never seen before pulls up just a little away fron us an he had a really nice frigate or a destroyer I think it was about 6ft long an we all sat talkin an watchin this gent put his ship in the pond an it floated lovely looked really great an as we were watchin he opens her up an sails straight into the middle of the pond an then turns straight to strb an then she rolls straight over an sinks the only bit visable was the bow stickin out of the water as there is all ways air trapped in that section an we all ran up to him an said whats happened an he says it just sunk an I said dint you do any test on her in a test tank an he says NO we were flabbergasted that model cost him over a £1000 an he just took his shoes an socks off an went into the pond to retrive the model with water all pourin out of it an we never saw him again OH DEAR poor devil
chris
Just goes to show a little time spent now will save heartache later and the wallet.
Pete.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just goes to show a little time spent now will save heartache later and the wallet.
Pete. (QOUTE )
You are so right pete if he'd done some balance tests on the model he would have found it was unstable an been able to do something about it but that's life I suppose:disappointed::sad:
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You've really got your work cut out Chris. As you say, this build will be keeping you busy a long while! Will be worth the effort though.
Cheers
P

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
An while im on the subject of tests an such it goes to show the importants of havin a fitted in line fuse rated for the electronics as again up Norwich pond we sat whatchin a nice huntsman motor yacht hammerin up an down the lake an before we knew it it stopped smoke started to rise out of the hull an then it caught fire an the gent managed to get the firey hull into the edge an an swampted it with water to put out the flames an I knew the gent as he was a model shop owner but not anymore as its closed down now but I said to him dint you have a main fuse fitted in it an again he said no so more money up the shoot an we hav'nt seen him anymore either funny ole world aint it
chris
You've really got your work cut out Chris. As you say, this build will be keeping you busy a long while! Will be worth the effort though.
Cheers
P

HI Paul yes I will have my work cut out but this is not really work to me its play an enjoyment as seein what i can create on the days when building from the plan an bring it into being real. Basicily from just raw materials an yes it will keep me busy for a few yrs as i hate gardening as that's my wife's hobby an where i live theres not much eles to do an ive been modeling for nearly sixty odd yrs but i will never get fed up with it as what keeps me goin in this model world is thinking what the model will be like when its fininished an how it will sail thats an advencher in its self an i have collector 's waiting to buy my hms norfolk an also wanting for this one but will see on that in the future an have you done anything on your tank yet as hopein to see more pics of it ?

all best chris

Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I can tell you‘re enjoying the build it shines through in your posts. And it‘s. a great way to while a way a few hours a day in you retirement. I’m envious, I’m still a ways of retirement myself but when I do I know I’ll be spending a lot of time at the bench.
It’s good you’ve got buyers for your completed ships. Any chance of a pic of Norfolk Before it goes?

I’ve just posted an update on the Panther - a bit of Zimm and the rear hull planned out. Take a look when you’ve a moment.

Looking forward to some more progress on Tiger and I’ll be here to witness the adventure unfold and see this beauty sail.
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Paul the build of most of Norfolk is on this ships build thread if you look down an my big USS NIMITZ build
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI GUYS another small up date on her
as I have finished fittin in the prop tubes an sharfts I thought whats next an that was she needed sprayin after all the saindin down but no can do as its to cold to spray the grey primer until the warmer wheather an that's months away. So I went off on to another little job on her an that's fittin the beadin around the hull apertures with 1mm wire IMG_4811.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here they all done on both sides an rear so whats next be glad when i can spray her grey primer 6 coatesIMG_4812.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
SO nxt stage I think is cutting out the front deck an its big an bloomin cold in garage glad I was not out there to long IMG_4817.JPG

Reactions: JR

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Small but important details make all the difference. :thumb2:
I forgot to ask Chris, where do you construct these (large) models – Garage/shed?
I‘ve never really had to think about the cold weather affecting when I paint as my builds are small enough (on the whole) to spray indoors in the booth.
I guess you’ll spend the winter months on the construction of Tiger?
Cheers
Paul

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Small but important details make all the difference. :thumb2:
I forgot to ask Chris, where do you construct these (large) models – Garage/shed?
I‘ve never really had to think about the cold weather affecting when I paint as my builds are small enough (on the whole) to spray indoors in the booth.
I guess you’ll spend the winter months on the construction of Tiger?
Cheers
Paul
Ah, you answered my question in the very next post!!!! :tongue-out2:
HI Paul yes its gonna be some contruction an the ship has been worked on in the garage in summer an now in my model room but no sprayin im afraid so the deck will do to keep me busy till feebee comes again an proberly some eletrics
chris

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Chris
Quick question (possibly a stupid one) why do you split the hull/build in sections? Is it simply to make the build more manageable?
Paul

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Quick question (possibly a stupid one) why do you slit the hull/build in sections? Is it simply to make the build more manageable?
Paul
HI Paul im not sure what you mean when you say slit the hull ?do you mean why have I cut the hull in two bits ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Paul for a start its not a stupid question ive been asked this loads of times as its logical as mr spock would say no.1 the front section will fit in its own carry cradle with handels so it can be carried like a suitcase an that way it wont get broke an the same with the rear section an no.2 it will be lighter to carry over to the pond an no.3 this the only way it will fit in my car as the front section in its cradle will fit in the boot an the rear section will lay in its cradle across the back seat with batts an R/C an chairs fittin in the backseat foot wells hows that paul
chris ps NORFOLK is like this also an if something works why change it